• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

bodyguards

marlene

Inactive
Reaction score
There has been a great deal of talk lately in Canada and the UK about people who have quit the military to work as bodyguards. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has recently done that. Is it working out for you? Living up to your expectations job wise, money wise? Anyone working in Iraq?

lol good ol mercenaries

jtf supposably do a lot of VIP protection (according to publications)

i hear you can get paid 10000 a day to clear land mines in some places

interesting jobs, but dangerouse

Let's can it with the "I heard" stuff - if anyone who "knows personally" wants to share their information, then so be it; but this thread is not going to turn into some girls high school locker-room.

Well it seems very likely for people to join the army and quit to be bodyguards because you gain a lot of the characteristics of a bodyguard. I mean working in the army would mean you gain discipline, strength, motivation, leadership etc... Which all fit into the occupation of bodyguard =) Also bodyguards dont need any education, as long as your willing to give up your life for someone else for money then education isn't need, just strength. Anyways bodyguard is one of my prefered jobs =)

i couldnt see it being difficult at all to go into that

security guard is a sinch to get into

Seil said:
Well it seems very likely for people to join the army and quit to be bodyguards because you gain a lot of the characteristics of a bodyguard. I mean working in the army would mean you gain discipline, strength, motivation, leadership etc... Which all fit into the occupation of bodyguard =) Also bodyguards dont need any education, as long as your willing to give up your life for someone else for money then education isn't need, just strength. Anyways bodyguard is one of my prefered jobs =)

Theres actually quite a bit of education required. The courses vary in length- it not a "cinch" to get into. If you really need to know about Close Quarters Protection then meessager Slim. He's in the biz.

I think it is quite retarded to go over to Iraq and take a bullet or be pulled apart by some angry mob to safeguard some government official. Remember those 2 "contractors", new name for mercenaries who got hung up on that bridge in Iraq. Some companies like Dyn Corp pay upwards of 700-1000 U.S. a day for bodyguard work. It may sound appealing but it only takes a minute for things to go very bad. My personal view of it of course.

Some people would also think it's foolish to go overseas in uniform to die for some government as well....

The problem that exists right now is that the Brits and Americans are very reluctant to hire Canadians although there are a few there.  A good friend is working for Blackwater on his second tour. They start at about $500/day and go up to $750/day (station chief). He had a good tour first time out, haven't heard much this time around.  I've also heard of a few horror stories. The guys that get killed is usually a result of complacency. All you need is to have a good head on your shoulders and some good skills with weapons, etc.

apologize for my ignorance but why are the Brits and Americans reluctant to hire Canadians?

Not sure, it may have something to do with us not helping them with Iraq.  It may have something to do with them not knowing our capabilities.  My friend that is there got hired because he knew someone. He is a CWO. It wasn't until he deployed as a troop that someone who knew about the CF recognized his experience and abilities and he was promoted to section chief (pl comd).

So if your a bodyguard/security force person in Iraq, you are allowed to simply engage in lethal force combat against hostile forces trying to gain your boss?

Is there any current gun control laws/weapon restrictions in Iraq? Or are they like free-lance mercenaries who can basically choose whichever weapons they want? That idea would be frightening to me! You could have a team of seriously heavily armed ex-military people guarding places/people! I suppose right now there isn't much in the way of law and order in Iraq besides the US military, but how is this working? I suppose they must co-operate with the US forces there at the moment?

Joe

Right now every household in Iraq is allowed to have one AK47, so I can't imagine there'd be too many restrictions placed on mercs.

As of July the open fire policy was if you saw a person with a weapon that wasn't a friendly, you could engage without any warning. I was told stories of driving at speed through a small village, seeing a group of locals who were armed, opening up with everything and not even slowing down!  Of course the ever-present threat of ambush was always there.

i couldn't see it being difficult at all to go into that.security guard is a sinch to get into.

OK Zerhash

Do me a favour and stop talking about this...Judging by your comments on the subject, You know less than nothing about close protection work.

Close protection (or CP) is about as demanding a career as you could imagine. Some of the Middle East gigs (not just Iraq) pay very well but are considered "High Threat." there are an enormous amount of companies operating in the area and they employ, for the most part, ex special ops and former intelligence operatives as CP and CP Int guys (and gals).

The pay is generally in the neighbourhood of $1000.000 a day (US) but could be higher depending on your job and a few other variables. The two big companies that are sending people over are DYNCORP (US) and Control Risk Group (UK). Contrary to popular belief there are a great deal of Canadian citizens operating in the M East with these and other companies right now.

To be accepted as a CP operative for one of these companies you would need the following;

A military background, almost certainly in the combat arms, followed by a stint in the int, or comms branch (MP as well) Also a tour someplace will greatly enhance your chances of getting on with one of these companies.
Propper close protection training from a company that is well respected and known internationally (not Joes Cp school!)
A number of years in a martial art of some type, preferably with a black belt or some other equivalent ranking. (Don't know why, I've never used martial arts on the job yet, but there you go!)
Operational CP experience with a reputable company, for an extended period.
A recommendation from someone in the business who can vouch for the fact that you are safe and reliable enough to deploy and that you won't do stupid things when on the ground with a live weapon in your hands.

Those are the basics! And, if you're still a kid (25 or younger) then forget it! The first thing that these companies look for is what kind of judgement skills you have and how likely are you to get yourself, your team and your client hurt or killed.

My instructors (Brits) told us over and over again "if you use a weapon, whether you or your client live or die, you have failed your mission!"

Judging by some of the comments I've seen above alot of you have a ways to go...And the Kevin Kostner wannabes can stay home as you won't be welcome anywhere. For anyone that knows him you can ask TACSIT aka Daniel S. just exactly what that means!

Slim

Slim, this is great info - thx. You seem to know what you're talking about. Can you tell me if you know of any companies in canada - i.e. Globe Risk in Toronto are sending CP's overseas? I know Globe Risk offers courses in CP and they do in fact (as you mentioned) ask for pretty detailed resumes.
Merlane

(didn't think this was worth starting a new thread ...)

Flash-mobs are security risk
RCMP: 'Annoying fad' could be used to stalk the famous, report says
National Post

Adrian Humphreys, Monday, December 06, 2004

CREDIT: Shannon Stapleton, Reuters
Put your hands in the air if you're in a flash-mob.

The RCMP has issued a security alert to officers who protect celebrities and political figures in Canada over the "annoying fad" known as flash-mobbing.

A flash-mob -- a sudden gathering of people drawn to a specific public place through text-messaging and e-mail -- has been used for fun and social protest, but police now worry it poses a threat to public figures.

"Some observers have written off the phenomenon as a slightly annoying fad, the techno equivalent of streaking," says a confidential report by the RCMP's Criminal Intelligence Directorate.

However, there could be a dark side to the flash-mob, the RCMP warns.

"Protective details working VIP sites and personal security should always keep an eye on sudden and apparently aimless public gatherings that may occur in their areas of responsibility," concludes the report, an edited version of which was obtained by the National Post through the Access to Information Act.

"The flash-mob is an ad-hoc gathering, of sorts, that has been seen in major cities around the world, so far mostly for recreational/entertainment purposes," the report says.

Typically, a notice is sent to people by text-messaging on cellphones and Blackberrys and through Internet sites, giving a date, time and place to gather and a group action to engage in. The crowd then disappears as unexpectedly as it formed.

"In August, 2003, in Montreal, four people opened their umbrellas at 13:00 hrs, signalling 40 others to approach for instructions. Minutes later, at a designated spot, they all began quacking, tossed rubber ducks into a fountain then left," says the RCMP report.

The flash-mob fad started in June, 2003, in New York and spread worldwide. In Vancouver, a flash-mob gathered to do the twist. In Ottawa, people were instructed to appear at a specific grocery store and purchase the same item from the same cashier and then donate it to the food bank.

What has spooked security officials, however, is the use of flash-mobs to stalk public figures and guide political protests.

"In Britain, teenage girls have formed a watch circle for Prince William appearances and have been successful in signaling sightings of the young member of the royal family," the report says.

"In a short time swarms had gathered after the sighting information was spread by cell phone to others," it says.

The report also notes the use of text-messaging to co-ordinate rallies that forced Joseph Estrada from the president's office in the Philippines and guiding protesters during the 1999 World Trade Organization meeting in Seattle.

Dated March 26, 2004, the RCMP's eight-page report says the text-messaging technology has been available in Canada since April, 2002, but greatly expanded in the last year.

"As a communication device in both voice and electronic text-based format, the cellphone's ubiquity in the general public becomes a phenomenon to be reckoned with," the report concludes.

these people need hobbies..or jobs for that matter.  ::)

merlane said:
There has been a great deal of talk lately in Canada and the UK about people who have quit the military to work as bodyguards. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has recently done that. Is it working out for you? Living up to your expectations job wise, money wise? Anyone working in Iraq?
  I am presently working in Baghdad, with stints in up Mosul and down in Basra.   I've been in Afghanistan and Iraq for 18 months now and must say, never in my 15 years of service have I felt the satisfaction of doing a good job as much as I have here.   Contrary to many perceptions PSD work is NOT mercenary work.   I am lucky to be on a team with experience from all over the world.
  As a Canadian I was lucky to make a few contacts (there are very few Canadians here) with enough clout to vouch for me and completed a Close protection course taught by ex-Kiwi SAS.   I read the comments by Slim and he knows what he's talking about.....to be chosen by a security company you must prove that (as well as proficient in all aspects of FIBUA, small arms handling, shooting ect.   the list go's on)   you're mature...not gung ho...still have something to learn opposed to knowing it all.   I would be apprehensive to work with someone who's looking to make contact.   We all know the type, every units got one... The supply tech with a Ghillie suit on Fall ex!
   When people say I must be crazy, I respond with ...why do you want to go (insert tour here)...   You're handcuffed with ROEs, you're not necessarily working for the most qualified person for the job....it just might be his or her turn to go on tour,   you don't have the freedom to change SOP to adapt to the changing environs, if I can get an X-8, RPK ect. anything to better ensure the safety of the client and the team,   I can use it.   If anything I feel more confident and secure working here as a contractor than I would as a soldier... so who's crazy? Close protection in Iraq is not for everybody..but it is for me right now.   The money's good, I work for a good company that treats their employees good (there are a few shady outfits here) and unlike when I was in the military,   I'm expected to think, not just blindly obey.

Are you with an American company or a Brit one? I have a mate with BW right now.  He told me the same thing. There is a whole no-Canadian thing going on. I don't know why though.

Back