• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ February 2012 - Who's going?

hodgson said:
anyone else goin ppcli?

Don't be so convinced you're going any certain place yet, you have to do your DP1 and you will give your posting preferences but remember its where the CF has a manning need although i wish you the best of luck and hope you end up where you would like to be.

Miller97 said:
Don't be so convinced you're going any certain place yet, you have to do your DP1 and you will give your posting preferences but remember its where the CF has a manning need although i wish you the best of luck and hope you end up where you would like to be.

Ive assumed this too, but when I accepted my job they told me I would be RCR and that it should stay that way. I donno, if they started changing it or what. I asked about it and she just said that RCR is in my file for where I am to go after MOC.

tylerlleslie said:
Ive assumed this too, but when I accepted my job they told me I would be RCR and that it should stay that way. I donno, if they started changing it or what. I asked about it and she just said that RCR is in my file for where I am to go after MOC.

My file manager told me the same thing, except that PPCLI is to be my destination.

Miller97 said:

Miler97, the infantry guys know which Regiment they are going to, just not what battalion. Thats how it works. They will know which battalion when they are done BIQ. They are recruited for a certain regiment and after BMQ they are sent to the appropriate battle school ( Valcartier for R22R, Meaford for The RCR and Wainwright for the PPCLI).

CDN Aviator said:
Miler97, the infantry guys know which Regiment they are going to, just not what battalion. Thats how it works. They will know which battalion when they are done BIQ. They are recruited for a certain regiment and after BMQ they are sent to the appropriate battle school ( Valcartier for R22R, Meaford for The RCR and Wainwright for the PPCLI).

Interesting, learn something new everyday, thanks for clearing that up CDN

Anyone doing anything special for their PT? Any different exercises they like to do?

tucker95 said:
Anyone doing anything special for their PT? Any different exercises they like to do?

I've been doing the 20m shuttle run (approx. width of a tennis court (outside)) and running a few KMs every morning. I get up at 5am and go to bed around 11 to try and get into the habit. Push ups  and sit ups every evening (M-F) and work out my back and shoulders one day and the arms and chest another day just using resistance bands and some dumbbells.

Tyler

tucker95 said:

In an effort to lose weight, but save my knees, I worked out on the Elliptical or went cycling for months. I just started running in the fall, and then I got the call in December, so now I'm in panic mode!!

I run intervals, usually on the treadmill, because it's too sloppy outside lately. I do mock shuttle runs on the treadmill, but at much higher speeds than required for the test, to make up for pivoting. My treadmill is in miles, not km, so I'll start at 6, and then increase by .5 every minute. Actual shuttle run speeds are 5.3, 5.6, 5.9 and so on. I usually die around 8mph.

Sprinting is not a problem for me, but distance running is, so I'm doing my best to increase my endurance. To be perfectly honest, I'm scared about endurance.

I do my sit ups on an incline (Total gym). I hang upside down, and can do sets of 25 comfortably. I do lots of pushups. 8 months ago, I couldn't do one. Now I can do about 20 before failing.

In addition, I do quite a bit of resistance training. On days when I don't run, I'll do some sort of cardio. Today I walked 8k on the treadmill, in 1:15. I was trying for 13k, but my calves got very tight, and I didn't want to hurt myself. I'm not even worried about the BFT though. I can walk forever. I may change my tune with the added weight, but they'll work us up to it anyway, so I won't stress about it.

If anyone has suggestions to increase endurance, I'm all ears!

ACOpJ said:
In an effort to lose weight, but save my knees, I worked out on the Elliptical or went cycling for months. I just started running in the fall, and then I got the call in December, so now I'm in panic mode!!

I run intervals, usually on the treadmill, because it's too sloppy outside lately. I do mock shuttle runs on the treadmill, but at much higher speeds than required for the test, to make up for pivoting. My treadmill is in miles, not km, so I'll start at 6, and then increase by .5 every minute. Actual shuttle run speeds are 5.3, 5.6, 5.9 and so on. I usually die around 8mph.

Sprinting is not a problem for me, but distance running is, so I'm doing my best to increase my endurance. To be perfectly honest, I'm scared about endurance.

I do my sit ups on an incline (Total gym). I hang upside down, and can do sets of 25 comfortably. I do lots of pushups. 8 months ago, I couldn't do one. Now I can do about 20 before failing.

In addition, I do quite a bit of resistance training. On days when I don't run, I'll do some sort of cardio. Today I walked 8k on the treadmill, in 1:15. I was trying for 13k, but my calves got very tight, and I didn't want to hurt myself. I'm not even worried about the BFT though. I can walk forever. I may change my tune with the added weight, but they'll work us up to it anyway, so I won't stress about it.

If anyone has suggestions to increase endurance, I'm all ears!

Sounds awesome!! I also use a jump rope. It does wonders and there is a lot of info about it on this fourm.

Some other fun and interesting things I have found today about BMQ:

1. Wanna know what we'll be doing everyday for all the weeks? http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/ps/rec/es-wt/index-eng.asp

2. "possible situations may occur in regards to your Physical Fitness Evaluation:

You have achieved the standard for all the performance objectives of the CF EXPRES Test:

You may go on with the BMQ course.

You have achieved the standard for the performance objectives of the shuttle run, and of two of the three strength components (push-ups, sit-ups and hand-grip), as well as a minimum of 2 push-ups for women and 4 for men:

You may go on with the BMQ course."

I'm actually not all that nervous about the EXPRES test!

What I'm nervous about is 5k runs. No matter what though, I will not give up. I will run until I throw up, and then I will run some more. Mind over matter. :nod:

Tyler, what platoon are you on? I'm on 0436.

ACOpJ said:

What I'm nervous about is 5k runs. No matter what though, I will not give up. I will run until I throw up, and then I will run some more. Mind over matter. :nod:

I have no idea.. I could be 0436 or 0437. How did you find out?

Tyler

tylerlleslie said:
I have no idea.. I could be 0436 or 0437. How did you find out?

Tyler

My file manager told me when they called with my job offer. I imagine they'll let you know during your swearing in. You'll need to know it for the cover page of your Autobiography, and for your mailing address, so letters from home will make it to you.  :)

ACOpJ said:
My file manager told me when they called with my job offer. I imagine they'll let you know during your swearing in. You'll need to know it for the cover page of your Autobiography, and for your mailing address, so letters from home will make it to you.  :)

Yeah, thats true they probably told me but I forgot. Maybe I'll email them

ACOpJ said:

I'm on 0437

Hey Guys first of all congratulation to all of you who made it through to BMQ as well as wish you all the best for those who are next to attend BMQ. I got a call on Thursday and being informed that I have been selected for RCR infantry and starting BMQ on 6 February, my platoon no is 0437E , recruiting out of Toronto. I will be enrolled on 25th January and heading on 4th February. Anyways if interested link up with me @ tarun-c@hotmail.com.

TOBY0729 said:
Hey Guys first of all congratulation to all of you who made it through to BMQ as well as wish you all the best for those who are next to attend BMQ. I got a call on Thursday and being informed that I have been selected for RCR infantry and starting BMQ on 6 February, my platoon no is 0437E , recruiting out of Toronto. I will be enrolled on 25th January and heading on 4th February. Anyways if interested link up with me @ tarun-c@hotmail.com.

Looks like you and I are in the same platoon and going RCR together after.  Feel free as well:  tylerlleslie@gmail.com

Tyler Leslie

tucker95 said:
How old is everyone?  Just curious, I am 27.

I feel like this will be an "old folks" platoon. I am 27 too, and I know a few others are about 25ish.

Tyler

decent amount of us infantry goin. anyone else recruted out of hamilton?

Back