• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BGRS Hacked

The Government of Canada is not waiting for the outcomes of this analysis and is taking a proactive, precautionary approach to support those potentially affected.
The hack took place on 19 Oct and this message was released on 17 Nov. I think I have a different definition of proactive than the government.

Got an email telling me about the breach and a link to 12 months of credit monitoring by Equifax. Was watching credit report anyway through bank as I recently used BGRS for a move. Only took 2+ months for an official comms to individuals :)

Got an email telling me about the breach and a link to 12 months of credit monitoring by Equifax. Was watching credit report anyway through bank as I recently used BGRS for a move. Only took 2+ months for an official comms to individuals :)
Is the email still there? I saw it in my inbox this morning, but don’t now.

Same, just got it a week ago.

Is the email from a legitimate source or a phishing scam?
The version we received looks like a Canadian government letterhead form letter, but the email address was not from BGRS or a gc.ca email address.

9dd129ef-4957-4877-87aa-83a668ad209a.jpg

Of course, I may be too cautious on this particular example.

Not only are members / veterans concerned about BGRS being hacked, we can now add the hack to a portion of our PSHCP information.

According to a statement, MSH International, the sub-contractor to Canada Life that provides emergency travel and comprehensive coverage services to members of the Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP), was affected. The TBS was made aware of the incident.

Reference:

Crowther, H. (2024, February 12). 'Cyber incident' affects health insurance provider for public servants: federal government. CTV News.

Strictly speaking, it's SIRVA, parent company of BGRS, that was hacked, not BGRS. The BGRS data was not breached, but data held by other companies under SIRVA who BGRS contracted with.

In the last 6 months I've had constant attempts to reset my personal emails, bank account logins and some other info that was on the BGRS side of things, and suspect they've also got things like my SSN.

Can't believe they are just giving a 1 year free monitoring, does anyone know if that comes with caveats that you give up the right to sue? They are being really opaque about the whole thing, so wouldn't be surprised if there is a class action against GoC, as they are ultimately responsible for their contractor (which they remind us every time we contract work, or the prime has an issue with their sub).

From what I understand, MSH hasn't been processing claims for months anyway, so not having portal access just means that they only have to ignore phone calls and emails.

From what I understand, MSH hasn't been processing claims for months anyway, so not having portal access just means that they only have to ignore phone calls and emails.
So, if a CAF member ends up going into financial distress or bankruptcy bc their dependent gets sick and MSH isn’t processing claims, how hooped are they?

Because I’m sure there are some cases out there.

So, if a CAF member ends up going into financial distress or bankruptcy bc their dependent gets sick and MSH isn’t processing claims, how hooped are they?

Because I’m sure there are some cases out there.
There are at least a few public servants (article in French below), but sure there are more CAF members as well. Sure, you can get distress loans, but people working OUTCAN shouldn't be messing around with insurance claims for six months plus when they are talking $10-20k+.

Les déboires de Canada Vie poursuivent les fonctionnaires fédéraux à l’étranger

Don't worry though, TBS is doing quarterly meetings to work through the issue. Edit to add: for a group that loves to snipe and criticize, they seem to be almost universally inept when the actual project/contract management is on their plate. They love to brutalize departments over performance like that though.

Strictly speaking, it's SIRVA, parent company of BGRS, that was hacked, not BGRS. The BGRS data was not breached, but data held by other companies under SIRVA who BGRS contracted with.
Isn’t that like saying Power Corp. is the problem, not Great Western Life or Canada Life? 😉

There is value in identifying where the failure occurred. BGRS has plenty of problems (a non-zero number of which are actually CAF requirements failures) but its system wasn't breached.

There is value in identifying where the failure occurred. BGRS has plenty of problems (a non-zero number of which are actually CAF requirements failures) but its system wasn't breached.
You're right. Fail points in cyber breaches are quite precise. Where and how it happened and who was responsible matters.

Back