• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best routes from Saint-Jean to Winnipeg

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
Hi all,

What's the best route to drive from SJ to Winnipeg in the winter (say...in the next few days)?  I've heard of a few ones:  The 11 (all the way around Kapuskasing), the 17 (winding the lakes) and cutting through the US border.  I'll be driving with a Mazda 3 (with brand new winter tires, of course) and fully-loaded as it's my move out there.  Distance won't really matter; I have 5 days and fully intend on using them!  I'm more concerned with traffic, road conditions and frequency (or lack thereof) of gas stations and accommodations.  I start the drive on Friday night.

Thanks! 

Go through the US.......i've done that drive a few times and , trust me, Hwy 17 route sucks big donkey d**k

;D

Enjoy CFANS.....

I agree - I have driven that route a few times in the winter.  Hwy 11 and 17 can be the shits if you happen to hit any weather.

I have crossed at the Soo, and driven west on US Hwy 2 to Grand Forks (stop at the PX, and if you are so inclined, Cabelas), and then North to Winnipeg.  I found the roads were in good shape and well maintained, and they did a good job of snow clearing. 

There is a bit more civilization than Northern Ontario in case you run into any trouble.  You should save a few bucks on gas.

(If you decide to go through the US, keep hotel receipts to prove your length of stay for the CBSA guards for your Duty Free, etc)

As always, YMMV

EDIT:  If you are (1) going to drive through the US and, (2) moving under the IRP, make sure you read the current IRP policy, there are a few minor things that may apply

When we did it two years ago, we went south through SW Ontario, crossed at Sarnia, then cut across Michigan, through Chicago, N to Wisconsin, on to Minneapolis, then through Fargo, Grand Forks and on to Wpg.  Came back virtually the same way, but crossed through Detroit/Windsor.  Once we got through the blizzard hitting Montreal/Toronto, it was smooth sailing the whole way.

I've driven the north of Superior route in the summer, and I wouldn't want to do it in even good winter driving conditions, let alone if you get some crappy weather.  Crossing at the Soo is an option, but it still takes you through some skinny, two lane highways with lots of semis (on both sides of the border, not just in Canada).  The above route is 4-lane or better all the way.  Since time is not really an issue for you, might be a better option.  A few more kms than hwy 17 or even the Soo route, but gas is cheaper.  You could stop at Mall of America and do your Christmas shopping!

I just did Ottawa-Winipeg....

GO US....better...and saves around 75k, ill PM with the route I took...tonight when ill get home...

I've traveled all three routes mentioned above, albeit in the case of the Chicago route it was overt 20 years ago. The route through from St-Jean to Sarnia to Chicago to Winnipeg is the longest 2800+ km (all distances courtesy Google Maps). The benefits is that you have good highways most of the way; 401 in Canada and then the interstate in the US so you can make a good headway, especially on the interstate where the speed limit is 65 mph.. Another good thing is that if you need a garage or hotel you don't have far to look to far. Just remember we have a new law here in Ontario, you get caught going 50 kms over the speed limit the OPP will impound your vehicle for a week, plus a fine. The speed limit on the 401 is 100 kph.

The second route is through Ontario, crossing over into the US at the Sault and taking Hwy 2 until you hit Grand Forks and head north. Distance is about 2300+ kms. This is the route I usually took when I was stationed in North Bay and Ottawa. A drawback is that between North Bay and Duluth there's not much out there so if you have car troubles you could be in trouble. Finding a hotel/motel at night could also be a problem - so plan accordingly. Keep tuned to the weather channel as storms can come off Lake Superior pretty quickly.

The third way is the all-Canadian route. Distance is about 2300+ kms. I've actually traveled this route a couple of times in winter and its not all the bad - if you plan ahead. The problem is that it is very isolated with towns few and far between. Breakdown, and you could be in trouble, especially if the weather is bad. Again, storms can come off of Lake Superior quickly. A further consideration is that gas is very expensive! Also, keeping an eye out for wandering moose is a good idea.

A fourth option is the all-US route (more or less); head south from Montreal into the US and head west until you hook-up with the interstate and stay south of the Great Lakes until Chicago and then head north to Winnipeg. Distance is about 2800+ kms. This route would have the advantages of being on the interstate most of the way with hotels/garages being available if required. Disclaimer: I've never taken this route so I have no idea on what the roads, traffic, weather may be like.

Since you have some time constraints, I would take the 401 to Sarnia, crossing over to  the US and taking the interstate the rest of the way. Longer, but you make better time, plus more utilities available if required. The second and third options go through some fairly remote and isolated areas. Gas/food/rooming would be fairly expensive and weather could be a problem. Again, the fourth route is just a suggestion, but what the heck you have to be adventurous every once in a while! ;D

So, hope you a safe and enjoyable visit. Take care!

Thanks all for the suggestions.  I'm actually in Kalamazoo, MI right now (I took the Sarnia crossing)...I always thought "Kalamazoo" was something like "abracadabra"!  The Interstate system is awesome. 

Thanks again!

Dimsum said:
Thanks all for the suggestions.  I'm actually in Kalamazoo, MI right now (I took the Sarnia crossing)...I always thought "Kalamazoo" was something like "abracadabra"!  The Interstate system is awesome. 

Thanks again!

Just wait until you get to Timbuctu!

Have a good trip.

It's getting to summer leave planning time again, and I'm planning on driving from Wpg - Toronto in late-Jul and back in mid-Aug.  I did the US route the other way in the winter, and while nice, there wasn't much to see.  Now that weather isn't as much of an issue but time is (the faster I get to Toronto, the more time I spend there), are there any issues I should know about if I decided to take either Cdn route?  I hear the drive is pretty nice in the summer, and I'm thinking of doing both routes just to see the sights.

Thanks!

Dimsum said:
  Now that weather isn't as much of an issue but time is (the faster I get to Toronto, the more time I spend there),

Why, oh why, would you want to spend ANY time in Toronto let alone more time? ???

I have done the Winnipeg to Hamilton trip (all Canadian route) for several summers. I usually do it over 2 days with a stop in Wawa. I stop for gas in Dryden, Thunder Bay, Wawa (just a top up since we are stoping anyway), Sudbury, and Perry Sound. I can't think of anything else to tell you, but if you have a question I can try to answer it.

When you're travelling through Northern Ontario east of Thunder Bay, you have two choices--Highway 11, which heads north from North Bay and passes through Temagami, Cochrane, Smooth Rock Falls, Kapuskasing, Hearst, Longlac and Geraldton, then rejoins Highway 17 at Nipigon.  Highway 17, which heads west from North Bay, passes through Sudbury, follows the north shore of Lake Huron through Blind River, reaches Sault Ste. Marie and then heads north and west along the north shore of Lake Superior through Wawa, White River, Marathon, Terrace Bay and Schreiber before reaching Nipigon (and rejoining Highway 11).

Highway 11 is somewhat faster, because it's generally flatter and straighter, passing through a lot of swampy flatlands between Cochrane and Longlac.  The last hour or so along the east shore of Lake Nipigon is rather picturesque, but otherwise, there isn't really much to see besides trees.

Highway 17 will take you a little longer, because it follows the rugged shoreline of Lake Superior.  The pay-off is that most of the 7 or so hours driving from Sault Ste. Marie to Thunder Bay is spectacular, especially just south of Wawa through Lake Superior Provincial Park, and between Marathon and Nipigon; there are many terrific views of the lake and its shoreline.  The other advantage is that you pass along the outskirts of two cities, Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie.  Highway 11 takes you through generally much smaller communities.

Depending on how fast you drive and how often you stop, the difference between the two in time is about one hour.  It generally takes 12-13 hours from North Bay to Thunder Bay along Highway 17, and 11-12 along Highway 11.

If you don't mind the hour or so difference, then at this time of year I'd strongly recommend Highway 17 (as an aside, in the late fall, winter or early spring, avoid Highway 17 as it's prone to bad weather off of Lake Superior).

The only caveat I'd offer about Highway 17 is that you have to beware large trucks in the hillier areas.  You have to be patient and carefully await safe opportunities to pass (such as passing lanes).  The truckers are usually very good about pulling over to the right as far as they can and signalling when the way is clear.

The last time we used the Hwy 17 route was in 2005. I second the comments about the scenery, but would add that we encountered a moose on the road or along side it about every two or three hours. Some folks from our town had their large RV badly damaged with a collision with a moose near Thunder Bay a few years back.

Old Sweat said:
The last time we used the Hwy 17 route was in 2005. I second the comments about the scenery, but would add that we encountered a moose on the road or along side it about every two or three hours. Some folks from our town had their large RV badly damaged with a collision with a moose near Thunder Bay a few years back.

Good point.  Moose (and, to a lesser extent, deer) are something to keep an eye out for on both Highways 11 and 17 east of Thunder Bay...especially at night.  West of Thunder Bay, deer become more common, but moose are still a concern.  Once you get past Kenora and into Manitoba, deer are, by far, the biggest problem.

2 Cdo said:
Why, oh why, would you want to spend ANY time in Toronto let alone more time? ???

Toronto = Family and friends.  I'd defend the city, but after 7 years of not really living there, I'm starting to see the "other" viewpoints regarding my hometown  ;)

Thanks for the responses.  I definitely think Hwy 17 is the way to go, esp for the scenery.  Anything specific on that route to watch out for (hazards or cool photo spots)?

Dimsum said:
  Anything specific on that route to watch out for (hazards or cool photo spots)?

The entire route is a hazard.

taking that route sucks.........really sucks.

I just drove from Calgary to Ontario.  My two cents is for you to go through the States - especially if money is at all an issue.  I was paying way less for gas, accomodations and food down in the States than in Canada.  My little mazda3 was only ~$40 to fill up in the States compared to over $50 here.  Plus we found hotels in WI and MI for $45-$55.

The thought of that drive through Northern Ontario just pains me.

Back