• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Berets and How to Form Them

From the CF Dress instuctions for badges on berets.

"Centered in the sewn on badge backing plate, with the base of the badge 1 cm (3/8") above the leather/ cloth band."

(In the top centre of the backing, on the outside of the beret, cut a little slit horizontally, the width of the slider. Insert the badge.)

"The beret shall be worn evenly on the head, with the sweatband 2.5 cm (1") above the eyebrows, the badge centered over the left eye and the crown pulled downward to the right. The break of the sweatband shall be worn centered at the back of the head, with no drawstring visible."

ExistancE said:
A quick story so no one does anything as stupid as I did.

I was issued a beret that seemed way too big at the time but I was assured by the leading seaman it fit great.

My buddies told me otherwise so they took it from me, cut the liner out, made me shave it, soak it hot water, and then slapped it on my head. All of that went great except that the flap was still down over my ear.

I decided I needed to shrink it. I threw it in the dryer on hot hot and took it out. The only real difference was that the leather band seemed awfuly tight. This is where I get stupid.

After getting frustrated over it I soaked it for a couple minutes in a sink of steaming water, then put it on a plate and put a big plastic microwave cover over it. Into the microwave it went. I set the microwave for 5 minutes, figuring I could judge how much it would shrink after that and walked away. After two minutes I heard a crackling sound and ran into the kitchen to find steam pouring out of the microwave. I freaked and opened the door, catching it in the face and burned myself taking the beret out. To my horror I saw the leather band was about 6 inches across now. I grabbed it to stretch it and burned myself again. I grabbed some oven mitts and started stretching it back out. I figured I should get it on my head so I threw it on without realizing the material was still soaked with now boiling water. Can't say that felt too great. I spent the last couple days trying to keep the leather from shrinking smaller and smaller as it dries. Today when I got home from school I stretched it and heard a 'crack'. The leather split, but thankfuly it's under the flap where it can't be seen. I know I will catch hell for it anyway. At least my beret is no longer too big, however I am remided of my own stupidity every time I wear it because it squeezes the crap out of my head.

In conclusion, if you need to shrink a beret a bit, stick with the dryer.

:D That's pretty hilarious. I can just imagine watching that and laughing. Still, on a more serious note, I think that although your story makes you very easy to ridicule, it is worth it if you save just one person from microwaving his or her beret and burning him or herself in a comical manner.

I'm old school and I'm going against the grain and suggest you do everything but lose the liner.

I seen too many berets that look like they came off Che Guevara's hairy little head ;)

After soaking in hot water, then cold water, wring well, wear and work the fold. (Do this 3-4 times). Note: try and not get the leather band too wet (it will but keep to minimum).

Place hat badge in slot. Don't be bashful, watch yourself in the mirror. Ensure hat badge is directly over your left eye. Work the fold so that it slightly covers the right side of badge, sloping down by the ear. Note: Fold should not go father than the top of ear.

The tricky part is the rear or behind your ear, fold should marry sharply to leather band.

You can use small safety pins to keep the fold in place until the beret holds it shape.

After all that, knot the lace; using a needle or small knife, tuck the lace neatly into lace opening.

It will work.

You have to admit though, it is pretty hard to properly form a beret with the liner in. I have formed 2, One with and one without. The one that I took the liner out first was quite easy to form properly and I hardly ever wore it. The second one I kept the liner in and wore it for 5 weeks straight and it just wouldnt form properly the way I wanted it. That damn flap in the front just wouldnt fold down tight enough, with the liner in, so I cut it out and now its fine.

MacKenzie CS said:
Like a manican head, or a model of his head?

A friend of mine/retired CF member has a model of his skull (He explained how he came to have it at one point, though it eludes me now, somthing to do with a CAT scan?), on top of which he keeps his old forage cap.

Pte Goulet said:
so should i worry about it, if my liner fell out already and im a recruit?

If "My liner fell out" (of a brand new beret), is the best you can come up with for an excuse, should you worry?

I'd say, probably, yeah. ::)

Honestly, I don't see what the problem is with liners. I've only ever had one beret, since 1968, that has had it removed. It was one of my first ones, didn't like the way it shaped after removal, and never did it again.

ive been told to cut it out many times, so i did, i guess ill deal with the consequences when they arise, no one in my unit has a liner anyway  ;)

Works fine if you just let the liner 'sit' on you head and not in the fold, though it forms much nicer without it.

the Beret is now part of the Kit that you receive from Logistek and, after your 1st year in, the CF don't want it back. If you want to have 2 berets per year, you're welcome to them.......

Enjoy!

Pte Goulet said:
so should i worry about it, if my liner fell out already and im a recruit?

It FELL out !!

I dont think it fell out........ ::)

First off:  Sorry for brining this topic back up after 2 weeks of being dead.

Secondly:  Thanks to all who posted in there leaving tips on how to form a beret, it helps some of us out alot.  So thanks!

Pte. Bradbury
BCDs

Okay, I know it's been like almost 3 years since anyone has posted in this topic but I figured it would be the most appropriate place after looking around. During a pleasant and convenient company DEU inspection this morning I got jacked by the CSM for my beret. He said it looked good and was sure I put in a lot of effort forming it but that it was against dress regulations. I  have a purchased beret that is the same style as the issued ones but smaller (is not a Belgian/officers beret) with the liner cut out, and I have the badge backing cut very low so there actually isn't that much left. I wear my beret a little lower on the front like a lot of people but I don't wear it so it is covering my eyebrows like some people. I know that it is technically supposed to be 2 fingers. I don't know really how to describe this any better but I have my beret formed so there is a fold that comes down the front where the material goes to the right instead of the other look where the hat is formed by having the material pulled back and down to the right side so it looks like a skull cap. Like I said I can't really describe it better. Well the Pl WO said that I can't do that and have to purchase a new beret. Fortunately for me the Bn kit shop is very low on berets right now and doesn't have my size so I get to keep mine for a bit longer. A buddy in my platoon also got jacked for a similar looking beret. Now can anybody tell me how this is against dress regulations or what the problem is exactly other than the 2 finger thing. I don't think that is the problem as well over half of the troops wear it lower. I've seen many soldiers with such berets before although not necessarily here. Is the way I have my beret somehow against dress regulations? I've never had a complaint about my beret my whole time in the Bn until now. If someone can also post the Canadian dress standards for wearing a beret it would be much appreciated as I haven't been able to find them. Thank you.

Only thing I can find in A-AD-265-000/AG-001 CANADIAN FORCES DRESS INSTRUCTIONS CFP265 is this,

c. Beret. The beret shall be worn evenly on the
head, with the sweatband 2.5 cm (1 in.)
above the eyebrows, the badge centred over
the left eye, and the crown pulled downward
to the right. The break of the sweatband shall
be worn centred at the back of the head, with
no draw string visible.

My beret is nothing like that standard haha, no one has said anything about it in any of the courses an units I've been in, thankfully.

Beret is just above my eyebrows, flappy bit is pulled just over my right ear, an very high on the back an left side. I got style  :p

Kev,

Without seeing a picture of what you're talking about, I'm having a hard time picturing what you're saying. Take a picture of the top of your head, with beret on, and someone can tell you what the problem is.

Just remember, if all else fails, make it look like the CSM's.

Inch said:
Kev,

Without seeing a picture of what you're talking about, I'm having a hard time picturing what you're saying. Take a picture of the top of your head, with beret on, and someone can tell you what the problem is.

Just remember, if all else fails, make it look like the CSM's.

And the CSM is always right  ;D

Sounds like you may have cut too much off the card behind the cap badge, but again, without a picture...

Kev T said:
Okay, I know it's been like almost 3 years since anyone has posted in this topic but I figured it would be the most appropriate place after looking around. During a pleasant and convenient company DEU inspection this morning I got jacked by the CSM for my beret. He said it looked good and was sure I put in a lot of effort forming it but that it was against dress regulations. I  have a purchased beret that is the same style as the issued ones but smaller (is not a Belgian/officers beret) with the liner cut out, and I have the badge backing cut very low so there actually isn't that much left. I wear my beret a little lower on the front like a lot of people but I don't wear it so it is covering my eyebrows like some people. I know that it is technically supposed to be 2 fingers. I don't know really how to describe this any better but I have my beret formed so there is a fold that comes down the front where the material goes to the right instead of the other look where the hat is formed by having the material pulled back and down to the right side so it looks like a skull cap. Like I said I can't really describe it better. Well the Pl WO said that I can't do that and have to purchase a new beret. Fortunately for me the Bn kit shop is very low on berets right now and doesn't have my size so I get to keep mine for a bit longer. A buddy in my platoon also got jacked for a similar looking beret. Now can anybody tell me how this is against dress regulations or what the problem is exactly other than the 2 finger thing. I don't think that is the problem as well over half of the troops wear it lower. I've seen many soldiers with such berets before although not necessarily here. Is the way I have my beret somehow against dress regulations? I've never had a complaint about my beret my whole time in the Bn until now. If someone can also post the Canadian dress standards for wearing a beret it would be much appreciated as I haven't been able to find them. Thank you.
your excuse of the kit shop not having any your size doesn't fly.....
you can order new ones from Logistek and have em delivered within the week.
Also, you can order two each year.............. care to restate your excuse?

geo said:
your excuse of the kit shop not having any your size doesn't fly.....
you can order new ones from Logistek and have em delivered within the week.
Also, you can order two each year.............. care to restate your excuse?

Busted  ;D

Back