• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BDU Sizes

• Thread starter cameron_highlander
  • Start date
C

cameron_highlander

If I was to order a pair of pants when the sizes are listed S/M/L/XL and Regular/Long..i.e. with US BDU pants, and I'm a 34 waist 32 length, what size would I order?

(I know, stupid question but I can't find a sizing chart that I can trust)

I started writing a nice long-winded reply based on my speculation and opinion, but I think I'd be steering you wrong since I have very limited experience with the sizing system in question.

(IIRC, the Canadian supply system used this sizing system in the older of the OD green combats, as well as older DEU and tropical tans)

Possible options:

1) Send an e-mail off to the website or vendor you intend to purchase the pants from to seek further clairification.
2) Go to the nearest army surplus and try on some US BDU's
3) Check these out: Found a couple sizing charts, perhaps a little more reputable/trustworthy then the ones you've come across thus far (all three seem to co-relate from what I see)
http://www2.rangersurplus.com/details.asp?item_id=1795&tgs=324350&cart_id=
http://shop.navyseals.com/sizecharts.aspx
http://www.armynavyshop.com/rcsizechart.htm

Eric_911 said:
(IIRC, the Canadian supply system used this sizing system in the older of the OD green combats, as well as older DEU and tropical tans)

They did, and it would seem to correlate to a degree with the BDU sizing charts you showed...

From my old pants (Which conveniently enough were on the couch behind me)

Size: Regular Medium
Height 67.0  To 69 1/2
Waist 31. 6 - 35.5
NATO Size: 8085 8090

Height 67.0  To 69 1/2
Waist 31. 6 - 35.5

A shiny nickel says you're CADPAT pants are a 7034.  ;)

I'm thinking the (US) Med-Long should be fine taking into consideration all the info above.

Eric_911 said:
A shiny nickel says you're CADPAT pants are a 7034.  ;)

I wish. 7038, but that's only because theres no 7036 ::)

(There was a rather irritated supply tech the day I went to get cadpat... "What size are your pants?" "Regular medium" (Brief Pause) "You're kidding right?" "That's what my pants say". That's the two older pairs, a 1990 and a 1991. The 1997 pair is stamped with the new sizing scheme. 7036)

LMAO! Yeah, the new sizing system is ok, but its not the "be all and end all" (for most people, everything is just a little too big or a little too small). I think our saving grace is those fancy elastics in the waistband. (and dont feel bad, I had to up a size to 7038 also)

I once had a female come to the front counter three consecutive days looking for an "in between size" that did not exist in CADPAT pants. Each day, she tried on some new pants, used pants, older style "exposed button" pants and the newer converged pattern. Just trying to look for that perfect fit.

I had to kindly remind her that she was not wearing combats for the fashion statement (IMO, the "painted on" combat pants, while nice to look at, just arent feasible when utilized anywhere outside the office)

Ah, good times though.....

Cheers

your right its not a fashion statement, however our sizing is pretty ridiculous,  everything is sized in 4 inch increments  and when you cant properly fit into a smaller size and the bigger size is a bit too big, youre unirform ends up looking very sloppy and doesn't look very professional at all.

Like I said:

LMAO! Yeah, the new sizing system is ok, but its not the "be all and end all" (for most people, everything is just a little too big or a little too small).

Combats are combats. They're your work Clothes. They're not here to replace your DEU's

Dress and Deportment-wise, I agree with you to an extent, although I've never seen anyone look that "sloppy" from combats that are 2 inches too big in the waist. (Just sloppy because they're combats are way too big or too small, or they're using the strings instead of boot blousers) I just checked my pants, the elastics do stretch an inch on each side (so an extra two inches).

The long and skinny: if you're a 36 waist, you can wear the 38's and have them 2 inches too big (not the end of the world, I've been doing it for 4 years) or the 34's, and have them kinda snug. I know its not perfect, but IMO, good enough for work clothes.

I would speculate that the changing of the sizes to every 4 inches with the CADPAT was probably a ploy to reduce the number of combat sizes in the supply system.

Back