• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Training Question

T

Tony127

I was wondering how many push-ups and sit-ups are required during basic training. I know that 19 are the minimum for qualification but how many to graduate?

Thanks

Unfortunately, the same number will get you through Basic.

Sh*tty, I was looking forward to having to increase the ammount I already can do. I figure your there for 10 weeks, with PT every day, you should be able by the end of it to do an extra 15 to 25% more (at least depending on your general level of fitness before hand).

Again, unfortunately PT does not always have the top priority it used to. You may well have times where you only do PT 3 or so times a week. As well, when someone gives you pushups for punishment, they have to do the pushups with you. So if you have a Section Commander who can‘t do many pushups, you may never get pushups as punishment. However, it is entirely possible to end up with course staff who put fitness at the top of their list. And they will find ways to squeeze extra PT in. Even if it means taking away some of your free weekends and making you run.

they have to do pushups with you? why? and since when?

As well, when someone gives you pushups for punishment, they have to do the pushups with you.
lol, what a sh*tty policy. I had soccer coaches that were meaner.

I was looking forward to the full metal jacket kinda Basic, but I suppose I can settle for more humane treatment.

couldn‘t tell you when or why exactly it started but it could be one of ‘em human rights things or it could be a lead by example thing. Either way, chances are the staff will be in good shape and will have no problem pumping off a few pushups if they so desire.

I have never heard of this policy nor have any of my instructors implemented such a policy, I did basic in June 2001 and we did more push-ups than I could count and we did them all by ourselves.
Not to mention the "thinking position"

I think that it is an awesome policy; instructors having to do everything they ask of you. I know I am a **** of a lot more motivated when the instructors can do everything we do. Its leading by example, increases moral, desire to achieve, and lends to a cohesive team. And of course, most instructors are in great shape, so they have no problem bucking off 20 pushups or so!

I was looking forward to the full metal jacket kinda Basic, but I suppose I can settle for more humane treatment.
This is my rifle, this is my gun!

As for pushups as punishment.. It‘s not always to increase your morale.. It‘s to try and make sure you don‘t **** up like that again.. ;)

On my basic last August, instructors where not allowed to give candidates pushups as punishment. We‘ll see what happens on my SQ in 3 weeks...

are you serious? thats sorta makes me sad haha i was also looking forward to some fullmetal jacket style or harsher i think it should be harder than fullmetal jacket style my friends in the united states marines and he said its 10x worse in real life than it is in the movie:( :( :crybaby:

that is harsh. My PE teachers give us pushups for punishments. I remember a friend getting 20 for "suggestive commentary". And this is our army... :eek:

On my reserve basic in ‘89, I forgot my #@%*($& headdress (something my section commander realized as we were marching to mess) and got 100 pushups in return. He started them with me and dropped out at around 70, so the Lt. had to finish them off. The Mcpl‘s mistake was forgetting that he wouldn‘t let me stop until 100, no matter what my form was like (and the last 60+ wouldn‘t have counted on the Expres test, for sure) but he couldn‘t wimp out like me and do bad ones.
Cheers,
Ralph.

Back