• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Tour

skura

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been asked a question by a friend in the states that I can't answer because I'm not in the army, and frankly I'd like to know the answer as well...

He asked;

"A Basic Tour in the U.S. is 4 years, what is it in Canada?"

For the US Army(Active Army) you can either enlist for 2 or 4 years, you got two options.

For the Regular Force, its 3 years.

Okay...now here's one of my stupid questions because I'm still learning about the army...

When you say "For the Regular Force it's 3 years"...does that mean in Canada the Basic Tour is 3 years?

(probably a stupid question for the rest of you, but like I said, I know little)

This is just for the normal enlistment, I think for some other trades you may have to sign up for longer.

If you join the regular force(full time), you sign a 3 year contract.

Right now all basic recruits to the Regular Force sign up for a three year Basic Engagment (BE).  It's soon to change in the future depending trade due to losing expensively trained personnel after only three years.  It makes sense considering some trades have long trades qualifiying course and in some trades the real learning don't begin till you get posted to a unit.

After the 3 year contract, can you sign up for 1 year more or do you have to sign up for another 3 years if you want to continue your career in the military??

Usually you sign up for a Second BE (2BE) and that again is three more years to bring you to six.

One year extensions are called Continuing Engagements (CE) or Fixed Period of Service (FPS) depending where you are in your career.  They are given out in rare cirsumstances where you are needed for a short time frame(IE: a overseas tour).  Don't hold your breath in getting one though as they seem to be given out quite infrequently of late.

So you don't keep signing three year contracts after your second BE or during you will be given the opportunity to sign a Intermediate Engagement (IE), which simply put is a period of service to complete twenty(or 25) years total continuous service from enrolment or transfer from the reserves.

If your were older when you joined the military you might be offered a Indefinite Period of Service (IPS), which is a period of service that extends the member's service to his 60th birthday(use to 55).

The 3 year BE is for NCMs, Officers sign Short service engagements (SSE) or Short engagements (SE).   The length of the SSE or SE is dependant on your entry plan but I think in most cases an SSE is 9 years. I'll give you my numbers as an example, I enrolled on 16 Jun 99, my SSE took me to 15 Jun 08, once I got my pilot wings I am under restricted release until 02 Apr 11.   So since my contract expires before my restricted release date, I had to sign either an IE or an SE.   The SE would have been from 15 Jun 08 - 02 Apr 11, while the IE will take me to my 20 yrs on 15 Jun 2019.

Cheers

Back