• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Avro Arrow RL-206

R031 Pte Joe said:
Say, anyone know where the old airport Avro used to use is? Wasn't it connected to Pearson or something like that???

The Arrows flew out of Malton airport, now known as Pearson International.

R031 Pte Joe said:
:-X

(looked quite old, like 50's/cold war era) with huge hangers+runway and all. Called "Downview Airport" or some such... CF military base beside it still to this day... Anyone know if that had anything to do with it or no???

Joe

Joe

That whole complex was CFB Downsview (aka CFB Toronto) until not too long ago! The base's borders were the PMQ's in the south end, Keele St on the west side, Sheppard Ave on the north side and the Allen Express way on the East side. The base was(at one time) the main storage depot in central Canada for the CF.

Slim

R031 Pte Joe said:
:-X

Opps... Thanks for the correction though.

Say, anyone know where the old airport Avro used to use is? Wasn't it connected to Pearson or something like that???

I'm a security guard in civvy world and I just did security in Toronto for an abandoned airfield (looked quite old, like 50's/cold war era) with huge hangers+runway and all. Called "Downview Airport" or some such... CF military base beside it still to this day... Anyone know if that had anything to do with it or no???

Joe

Hey Joe. Good to see things are working out with that company.. I left em over two weeks ago and they still dont have my Record of Employment done, or my paycheck, for my last week of work... anywho. I worked the downsview site as well for a couple days, the building where the washrooms are housed is an old support hanger, if you walk around it a little you can see where the tranport office and such were located.. plus there is a big Logistics Badge painted on the wall where the old main enterance used to be....

i felt kinda sad walking through it.. pictureing the army back in its glory days, and now the whole complex is being used to house cars....

Im pretty sure they used the old Downsview AFB as the hanger for AV Roe in the CBC movie of the Arrow. the control tower at the top of the one hanger looks very very familiar....

anyways, if you get a few minutes on a slow day, walk through the hanger, its quite an experiance...

Hey Joe. Good to see things are working out with that company.. I left em over two weeks ago and they still dont have my Record of Employment done, or my paycheck, for my last week of work... anywho. I worked the downsview site as well for a couple days, the building where the washrooms are housed is an old support hanger, if you walk around it a little you can see where the tranport office and such were located.. plus there is a big Logistics Badge painted on the wall where the old main enterance used to be....

That is rediculous! Call in and ask to speak with Bob, he's the string-puller and the ops manager...

i felt kinda sad walking through it.. pictureing the army back in its glory days, and now the whole complex is being used to house cars....

Yeah I did get to take a small walk around, which reminds me FOLKS: There is an old retired F-5 Freedom Fighter there! Completely intact (no engines of course etc... Stripped). Can't remember the Canadian designation? CF-5??? Anyway, yeah, it's sitting there beside a hanger in an "out of the way" spot... I did feel sad walking around there though, it should have been alive with military pers+equipment! Not, security guards doing patrols and being storage for new 2005 vehicles being shipped to USA buyers...

Im pretty sure they used the old Downsview AFB as the hanger for AV Roe in the CBC movie of the Arrow. the control tower at the top of the one hanger looks very very familiar....

My supervisor there (you know, Tim, the ugly guy who is the son of the company) said they did film a movie there couple years ago (but the Avro movie is older..?!?).. It's probably been used in a couple different movies or so...

Joe

That whole complex was CFB Downsview (aka CFB Toronto) until not too long ago! The base's borders were the PMQ's in the south end, Keele St on the west side, Sheppard Ave on the north side and the Allen Express way on the East side. The base was(at one time) the main storage depot in central Canada for the CF.

Slim

That makes sense, because there was A LOT of space, 2 huge hangers where I was, plus on the other side of the airfield a bunch of other hangers... Pretty big place... I hope eventually we make use of it all again when and IF any of that promised funding comes through... Also, jet aircraft were taking off from the runway on the "Bombadier" side of the airfield... They have factories there, this shows the runway can't be in too bad of condition obviously. Would be a good spot I think to re-activate...

Joe

R031 Pte Joe said:
...There is an old retired F-5 Freedom Fighter there! Completely intact (no engines of course etc... Stripped). Can't remember the Canadian designation? CF-5??? Anyway, yeah, it's sitting there beside a hanger in an "out of the way" spot...

Hey Joe,

Was this the CF-5A that you saw?

http://www.torontoaerospacemuseum.com/home.html

[Click onto â Å“Our Collectionâ ?, second pic, top left corner.]

Yep, the Toronto Aerospace Museum, at the former CFB Downsview.

As you can see from the Museum's web site, same location they are constructing the 1:1 replica of the CF-105.

Hey Joe,

Was this the CF-5A that you saw?

http://www.torontoaerospacemuseum.com/home.html

[Click onto â Å“Our Collectionâ ?, second pic, top left corner.]

Yep, the Toronto Aerospace Museum, at the former CFB Downsview.

As you can see from the Museum's web site, same location they are constructing the 1:1 replica of the CF-105.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

So I wasn't going crazy from sleep deprivation on an extremely boring shift!!! I could have sworn I seen the nose of an Arrow sticking out of the hanger across the runway!!! I asked the other guard about it if he'd seen it before, he didn't know anything about it other than the fact he said he's seen it before...

Yep, that's the place. I'll have to go visit sometime now that I know what and where it is... Very interesting place indeed!

Joe

Just Wondering what peoples thoughts and opionins are on this. Do you think that there is still one Arrow out there that escaped the saws? Personally I think 206 is still kickin around out there somewhere. Maybe out in some old barn or something in Alberta just waiting for someone to stumble across it. Ok well that may be pushing it but still you never know. :cdn:

Actually, 206's nose section is on prominent display in the Canada Aviation Museum in Ottawa. See photo here.

Good luck with your search for the other five though   ;)

LOL you guys make it sound like Im nuts cause I think there is one out there. there is actually quite alot of people who belive that hell even in the movie they chose to go with that Idea.

Kyle.

Crimmsy said:
Actually, 206's nose section is on prominent display in the Canada Aviation Museum in Ottawa. See photo here.

Good luck with your search for the other five though   ;)

Actually, that nose cone is from one of the other aircraft, and was painted to say 206, specifically to dispel myths.  Found this out chatting with a museum coordinator in Shearwater, which was then confirmed by an older staff member in Ottawa.

Strike said:
Actually, that nose cone is from one of the other aircraft, and was painted to say 206, specifically to dispel myths.   Found this out chatting with a museum coordinator in Shearwater, which was then confirmed by an older staff member in Ottawa.

Ah!   More fire for the "Conspiracy Theorists".    :eek:

Laugh if you will George, but RL 202 was the only other aircraft not to have its nose cone painted red prior to demolition.  If you were to Google for pics of "Death Row", you would not find 206 anywhere on the line.  One might say that this was because it was being fitted with the Iroquois, however, this had already been done.  The aircraft was scheduled for a test flight 2-3 days after the date the project was shut down.

Don't worry Strike

I still believe we'd be flying Arrows today, if this 'fiasco' hadn't happend.  The Arrow Project is 'Legend' and a great Canadian accomplishment.  I am sad that it turned out the way it did.  We also have the stories of the Bras D'Or.  And stories of other Canadian Military Technological advances, which just 'disappeared' due to government restraints.

Strike said:
Actually, that nose cone is from one of the other aircraft, and was painted to say 206, specifically to dispel myths.   Found this out chatting with a museum coordinator in Shearwater, which was then confirmed by an older staff member in Ottawa.

No kidding? Heh. Colour me educated.

Only a rumour, of course.  But still a cool one.

Anniversary of the Avro Arrow rollout

TAM celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the Avro Arrow rollout:
Toronto Aerospace Museum Open House
(10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)

The Arrow was rolled out on October 4th, 1957, at Malton, Ontario.  This event features the Museum’s full-size model of the Arrow and an exhibit illustrating the history of this unique aircraft and the development of the Orenda Iroquois jet engine.

http://torontoaerospacemuseum.com/home.html

http://torontoaerospacemuseum.com/home17.html

George Wallace said:
;D

Guess what I saw this afternoon at an undisclosed location?

How'd you get a camera to Area 51?! We all know the Americans stole a prototype and store it at Groom Lake to make their fighters with like they did with Megatron in Transformers.

Considering that the Arrow was freaking huge (for a fighter), it would be pretty hard to hide it, especially for 50 years.  I've also been around long enough to know that keeping a secret of this magnitude is pretty much impossible.  The Government doesn't cover things up, not because it doesn't want to, but because it is entirely incapable of doing so.

Back