• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Australia Looking For Canadians?

Alien1

Inactive
Reaction score
Australia is looking for Canadian?????

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/defence/defence-hunting-foreign-troops-with-citizenship-for-service/story-e6frg8yo-1226230857780

I was at a bar in North Sydney a few years back at a Canada Day party and in walked a half dozen or so RAAF officers - all with Canadian accents, all ex CF-18 jocks having a ball living and serving in Australia

Haletown said:
I was at a bar in North Sydney a few years back at a Canada Day party and in walked a half dozen or so RAAF officers - all with Canadian accents, all ex CF-18 jocks having a ball living and serving in Australia

... and many of whom probably took FRP from Canada and a similar incentive to join the RAAF.

Nothing new with the Aussies aggressively recriting from other Commonwealth countries.

I know of three officers of my vintage who joined the Australian Army in the sixties. As has been said, they've been doing it for a long time.

Old Sweat said:
I know of three officers of my vintage who joined the Australian Army in the sixties. As has been said, they've been doing it for a long time.

It, recruiting Commonwealth officers and WOs/senior NCOs, is (at least was 20 years ago) a formal policy for NZ. The Kiwis are rightfully I think, concerned that a small military can get very stale very quickly unless there is some fresh, foreign blood infused on a regular basis - rather like breeding horses.

I had previously applied for lateral transfer to the RAFF, around 2007-2008. They were willing to take me but then the economic downturn took hold and they had to tell me that they now had a sufficient number of Australian nationals applying.

E.R. Campbell said:
It, recruiting Commonwealth officers and WOs/senior NCOs, is (at least was 20 years ago) a formal policy for NZ. The Kiwis are rightfully I think, concerned that a small military can get very stale very quickly unless there is some fresh, foreign blood infused on a regular basis - rather like breeding horses.

Hmmm.....are they sure they want some of these guys breeding?  ;D

Don't worry, I'll test the waters for a few years and report back on whether or not they are head-hunting in the RAAF for us RCAF folks.  Consider it a service from me to you.

:blotto:

ETA:  In a more serious note, I checked the recruiting site out of curiousity and they are aggressively hiring for the RAN and AA.  Not so much for the RAAF (just fighter pilots and qualified multi-engine test pilots.)

Back