• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ATVs

If that picture were any more awesome it would be in the A-Team movie.

Petamocto said:
Not a problem, I'm sure landing while seated on an ATV will still give you plenty of happy memories about your compressed disks and sciatica.

You been reading medical files? :)

Old Sweat said:
What about "Prepare for a water landing?"

From Chevy's link.

Can vehicles other than Suzuki ATV’'s be used?
Yes, almost any ATV can be adapted for airborne use. Also, the same concept can be done with a Seadoo or snowmobile.

;D

Rumour also had it that the Russians attempted it with some BMDs/BMPs loaded full of troops and were not that successful in getting combat effective (re: alive) soldiers on the objective.

Unsure if there is any validity to it or if it's just an old wive's tale.

Petamocto said:
Rumour also had it that the Russians attempted it with some BMDs/BMPs loaded full of troops and were not that successful in getting combat effective (re: alive) soldiers on the objective.

Unsure if there is any validity to it or if it's just an old wive's tale.

It was done in BMDs. Most crews didn't survive. They stopped training in that manner when the wall fell.

Regards

If we are going to talk about combat vehicles as opposed to logistics vehicles, then we need these instead:

I remember seeing the FAVs tear-assing around Ft Lewis in the early 80's.  To my young sproggy eyes they were the greatest thing since wonder bread.

Thucydides said:
If we are going to talk about combat vehicles as opposed to logistics vehicles, then we need these instead:

That is a very different capability than what I am talking about.  Once you get into a dunebuggy style instead of a side-by-side/ATV style you're talking about more of a Recce vehicle and getting away from the intent of helping take the load off the soldier's back.

We must not take our eyes off the aim of helping a soldier carry water, ammo, and heavy weapons.

Petamocto said:
Not sure, but I admire the guy who could pull off a slip while strapped into a vehicle under a chute.
Whereas I'm not sure why anyone would feel a need to slip -- not to be confused with front- or rear-riser turns -- while using a square rig.

http://www.strongparachutes.com/pages/mil_veh_AATV_parachute.php
AATV Airborne All Terrain Vehicle
Canopy:
C-900 ram-air canopy,
Number of Cells: 15
Size: 900 square feet

Petamocto said:
What I had in mind when I started this thread
Those would appear to be along the right lines of what I would imagine a military should be using as tractors for utility trailers  ... but I do question the single person variant without trailer or cargo space.  If the intent is to move materiel, then the vehicle should have trailer and/or cargo space.  If the intent is to move people, then there should be passenger space so that not every person needs a vehicle.

Given the size of Gators and some of the larger militarized ATV in your pictures, there might be more flexibility in a small Jeep like vehicle  .... a new Iltis even.  The USMC recently finished pumping money into something that looks half-way between a John Deere Gator and an Iltis.  The Growler comes in both tractor and recce variants, and it is airmobile via Osprey.

Is the vehicle small enough so that it can follow troops down a trail they can only navigate in single file?  I believe the ride-on single seater with racks front and rear might be able to do that carrying a couple of hundred pounds of kit.

MCG,

Yes I agree with you about the size and not the single-person ones.  That was me going back and forth trying to copy the images and remembering the photo numbers.

You are absolutely right that anything we get should be able to seat more than 1.

If I had to design the capability from scratch. it would be two on the main seat, then the cargo rack could also have room for a third and the trailer could have a rear-facing seat for 4.  At least that way you could have two per section if we went back to 8-man sections, but even that is a max. 

The thing about making a Jeep out of it is that you now can't follow the troops everywhere, where as an ATV could even go through moderately thick forest.

That's just about the size of it.
You ask for an ATV and you get a sawed off Jeep. Might as well have the Jeep.
IMO the ideal ATV would be one that is low in overall height, with a highly responsive gear ratio,
substantial load carrying capabilities and air transportable. (lightweight)

We seem to be getting close to developing a requirement for something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Carrier

It may be overkill but it was widely used, and not just in Second World War infantry battalions.

No one has yet mentioned this vehicle of Canadian origin that is in service with South Africa.

http://www.lmt.co.za/product_gecko.htm
LMT - GECKO 8X8 ATV RAPID DEPLOYMENT LOGISTICAL VEHICLE

The Gecko 8x8 ATV Rapid Deployment Logistical Vehicle (RDLV) is used by the Parachute Regiment and Special Forces Brigade of the South African National Defence Force. More than a hundred of these highly mobile vehicle systems are in service as rapid deployment logistical vehicles to transport personnel, equipment and heavy weapon systems from drop and landing zones to firing positions during airborne and special forces operations.

GECKO 8x8 ATV SPECIAL FORCES / PARATROOP VEHICLE

The Gecko RDLV is based on the automotive components of the Argo Centaur 8x8, manufactured by Ontario Drive and Gear, Canada, but adapted in South Africa by LMT Products to comply with the requirements of the South African National Defence Force. Typical modifications include a militarized top structure, weapon mounts, storage space, 12V/24V electrical system, communication harnesses and a strengthened lower structure to conform with air delivery and helicopter lift requirements. The vehicle also provides protection to the vehicle occupants against the detonation of 200g of TNT below any of the wheels.

Both the vehicle and the trailer have been qualified for air delivery from a C-130 (PLEDS and internal load) and helicopter transport.

CARGO, WEAPONS AND C2 TRAILERS

A family of trailers is in service that been developed by LMT Products, consisting of a general cargo trailer, heavy weapons trailer and command and control trailer. The C2 trailer includes all the command and control equipment as required to effectively command and control at least a battalion sized airborne operation.

Logistic support for the system has been fully developed to international standards (e.g. MIL-STD-1388-2B and DEF-STAN-0060). Technical manuals and training packages for operators and workshops are available in hard copy or IETM format.

ENGINE, CLUTCH, TRANSMISSION AND DRIVE

The Gecko's engine is a Daihatsu DM950T, three-cylinder in-line water-cooled turbo charged 950cc diesel engine, with a maximum output of 26kW @ 3,600r/min, 79Nm @ 2,400r/min. Its Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) has integrated dual differentials:

 High ratio: 11.5:1
 Low ratio and reverse: 30.2:1

RC60 roller chains form transmission to 8mm x 40mm diameter axles with a fully adjustable tensioner for each drive chain.

Geckos have a 12V electrical system, (24V system also available) with NATO slave plug.

STEERING, TYRES AND BRAKES

Geckos are equipped with a hydrostatic skid steer system with steering wheel. Braking is via foot pedal operated hydraulic disc brakes and hand operated mechanical parking brake. The tyres are Goodyear Rawhide III AT25 x 11.50 – 9 NHS. Provision is made to carry two spare tyres. Inflation is through an electrical compressor with standard pneumatic outlet and tyre inflation hose.

STRUCTURE

The Gecko's structure is formed by a powder-coated, tubular steel, welded construction chassis frame with a vacuum formed lower hull and hull skid plate manufactured from high density polyethylene.

DIMENSIONS

 Length: 3,112mm
 Width: 1,647mm
 Height: 1,443mm
 Ground clearance: 200mm in centre of vehicle body
 Approach angle: 57°
 Departure angle: 43°

PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS (FULLY LADEN WITH TRAILER)

 Speed: 18km/h (low range), 45km/h high range
 Gradient (full load) without trailer: 60%
 Gradient (full load) with trailer (full load): 40%
 Dynamic side slope @ 10km/h: 40%
 Ditch crossing: 600mm
 Vertical step: 300mm
 Mean Maximum Pressure (MMP): 127kPa
 Ambient temperature for continuous maximum power: 47°C
 Drawbar pull: 1,000kg
 Carrying capacity of vehicle: 900kg
 Carrying capability of trailer: 650kg
 Fuel capacity and range: 50-litres, 250km
 Turning circle: 3m
 Fully amphibious (basic vehicle with 230kg), can be improved using airbags
 Shipping weight: 1,225kg complete

Photos

gecko01.jpg

Gecko ATV RDLV with general cargo trailer.

gecko02.jpg

Gecko ATV with 106 Recoilles Rifle trailer.

gecko03.jpg

Airdrop (PLEDS) of Gecko and trailer, both on a 8ft pallet.

gecko04.jpg

Weapon mount fitted with 7.62 machine gun

gecko05.jpg

The command and control trailer with a Battalion HQ team.

There are some additional photos of this vehicle at work and links to videos (deployment by C-130, helicopter, etc) at http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?64954-South-African-National-Defence-Force&p=1687186&viewfull=1#post1687186

These should still be in CF service with the SAR Techs. Just standard 8 wheel ARGOs, no add ons. But they would be more suitable as an Army employed ATV. It floats, a track kit is available which increases its mobility in snow. And a Canadian proven solution.

Tango18A said:
These should still be in CF service with the SAR Techs. Just standard 8 wheel ARGOs, no add ons. But they would be more suitable as an Army employed ATV. It floats, a track kit is available which increases its mobility in snow. And a Canadian proven solution.

HUSAR ( Heavy Urban Search and Rescue ) use Argos:
http://www.toronto.ca/wes/techservices/oem/husar/fleet.htm#argo

The intresting thing about this thread is that it is an answer looking for a question and depending on how people see the potential question we get different variations on what the ATV may be.  So far we've seen:
  • 1 & 2 person quads
  • dirt bikes
  • Gators & Argos
  • 1 & 2 person all-terrain go-carts with role cages
  • mini-Jeeps
  • BV-206
  • tracked universal carriers
  • tracked all-terrain Segways

Any of these would provide us with a new capability, but what is the capability that we really need (or even want)?

Back