• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

assault pack suggestions

CURT

Inactive
Reaction score
So guys I'm looking for a good assault pack and came here for some suggestions from thouse with expierence. The type of pack I'm looking for is frameless with a large main compartment and and plenty of molle on the sides and back for pouches.

:cheers: Curt

CURT said:
So guys I'm looking for a good assault pack and came here for some suggestions from thouse with expierence. The type of pack I'm looking for is frameless with a large main compartment and and plenty of molle on the sides and back for pouches.

:cheers: Curt

First will your Chain of Command allow you to use non issued kit? 

I would recommend an ATS RAID, or a eagle MOLLE AIII assault pack. 

hope that helps

I have a Kifaru Marauder, which is very nice but also very expensive. It's a bit larger then a RAID pack, covered in MOLLE and compression straps, and well designed.  I consider it to be the Cadillac of 3-day packs, but if I hadn't acquired it for a good price I would have went for something cheaper.  It's fancy, but not $300 fancy.

I also get quite a bit of use out of an old beat up and spray painted Camelbak HAWG.  It's the perfect size for humping a 522, antenna, and a couple spare batteries.  It's very low profile, and without a radio I treat it like a buttpack.

One thing to think about: bigger is not necessarily better. Think about what you want it to do and don't confuse an assault pack with a 3-day pack.  The line between these two things can be fuzzy, but in my own head it looks something like this: an assault pack is something I'm not afraid to do the "up-he-sees-me-down" with. It is part of my FFO. A 3 day pack on the other hand should sustain you for 3 days on the bare essentials, or carry your snivel kit in the LAV or on the range, or any time when you want to be comfortable but a ruck would be overkill.

Another thing to think about: do you really need a non-issue pack? I have these two, plus an issued smallpack, a jumpruck, and the new ruck (the bigpack).  I also don't have kids, or an ex-wife, and up untill recently no mortgage either.  Somehow, guys who have have mouths to feed at home get by just fine with the issued packs.  When they do buy non-issued gear, their priorities are elsewhere: good boots.  A softie.  If a guy is going overseas, he might look at chest rigs. Having an awsome backpack just isn't a priority for most guys. The issued smallpack might be a crappy design, but is it worth the $100+ to you to have a better one?

A lot of decent packs will meet your criteria.

CURT said:
frameless with a large main compartment and and plenty of molle on the sides and back for pouches.

The LF RAID and Kifaru Marauder would both do that well. I have a RAID, and IMO, the internal pockets can get annoying, the shoulderstraps are too thin, and could be sewed on to the pack in a more durable manner. It is also a little small for my taste. I believe the Marauder would address most of what I precieve as the RAID's shortcomings. However, for me, its not worth an additional $200 to upgrade.

Not too sure, but ATS might stil be offering their special on off-colour Coyote Brown RAIDs. ($99.00)

I'll second Wonderbread on Camelbak. I have a CB Talon which I lug around on a daily basis. While it is not completely innondated in Pals (or "molle"), it has a decent sized grid on the sides and back to put a few GP pouches. Its also a pretty good compromise between a top-loader and a clamshell pack. It also had fantastic shoulder straps. I would class this one as a 3 day more then an assault pack though.

Do you have any other specific deciding features?

-toploader or clamshell?
-appx volume?
-internal/external fixed pouches?
-price point?
-how much Pals real-estate are you looking for?

Just curious... In order to really justify blowing money your own assault pack, you have to ask yourself if you're buying it to address a deficiency in your issued kit, or if its just for LCF.

While I think that the modularity of the Small Pack is a joke (who uses daisy chains? ::) ) it suits most people for most uses, and because of the way it is designed, (no load-bearing zippers for example) it is extremely durable, and parts prone to failure (the buckles) can be repaired expediently in the field. Plus, if you really want PALS on it, you could opt for an aftermarket beavertail like CP Gear offers.

Cheers,
Eric

Thanks for the help guys. A three day pack is what would suit my needs. This pack would be used for alot of things like camping, on the range and exercise. Stores won't give me a small pack so i can't use that.

At one time I would have highly reccommended the tactical tailor 3-day pack, however, I've since ordered a second, and the quality seems to have dropped substantially... I've got a green one about 4 years old, and a black one about a year old... the green one was used before the issued small pack, and I continue to use it in lieu of the issued small pack (I find the small pack rubs my collar bone as a result of a shoulder injury) and it's in almost the same shape as the day I bought it (I've had to re-sew the folds on the ends of some of the straps, but that's minor).

The black one was boght on sale at 60% off, and has been used only as a gym bag and a school bag... the materials are thinner/lighter and the shoulder straps are already begining to show substantial wear... not at all pleased.

Eric_911 said:
The LF RAID and Kifaru Marauder would both do that well. I have a RAID, and IMO, the internal pockets can get annoying, the shoulderstraps are too thin, and could be sewed on to the pack in a more durable manner. It is also a little small for my taste. I believe the Marauder would address most of what I precieve as the RAID's shortcomings. However, for me, its not worth an additional $200 to upgrade.

I thought the same things about the RAID (minus the internal pockets, since they are great for small items) until I used it with armor; then I found that the thin straps were great, and the straps being fixed didn't bug me to much.  And what other assault pack in its class can you get for $118.18 Cdn (as of 1900 AST) (I got mine when the dollar was $1.3 USD)

The Camelbak BFM is an outstanding pack, lots of Molle strips, embedded hydration and radio compatible and can pick one up on E-Bay for around a $150.

The problem with the RAID and some other packs is the lack of floating shoulder straps. When wearing an assault pack with armour and actually humping it around the ability to adjust the shoulder straps is great! Baring the ability to adjust, at least some space between the pack body and the shoulder strap i.e. on the camelbak packs is good. I used a RAID on 1-06 and got rid of it when I got home because I ended up having buckles in my arm pits wearing it over all my kit. The marauder is good to go, and what I use now.

Any of you guys have any sugestions for a pack that can comfortably carry a radio, camelbak bladder an some other kit(batteries, change of clothes, rations, etc). On tour I used a Camelbak motherlode; did the job; but wasn't the most comfortable thing.

I've been looking at the Kifaru Zulu; anyone have any experiance with it?

http://mysteryranch.com/packs/pack.php?ID=86

http://mysteryranch.com/packs/pack.php?ID=89

http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=2&cat=37&id=172

http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=2&cat=37&id=171

Have a look around here

ONT said:
Do most not allow you to use non issued kit?
Every unit is different, and it depends on what the kit is. For example "X" unit  might not care about boots as long as they are black but insists upon CF gloves while "Y" unit might me the opposite.  That is why it is highly recommended that you talk to your C of C before spending your hard earned money on kit that might only sit in you room as you can not wear it.

dangerboy said:
Every unit is different, and it depends on what the kit is. For example "X" unit  might not care about boots as long as they are black but insists upon CF gloves while "Y" unit might me the opposite.  That is why it is highly recommended that you talk to your C of C before spending your hard earned money on kit that might only sit in you room as you can not wear it.
Would the same be said for using non issue kit overseas?

Thanks BulletMagnet; I'll check those out

ONT said:
Would the same be said for using non issue kit overseas?

Yes; what you are allowed an not allowed is dependent on your unit, and if you are in the BG, OMLT/POMLT, NSE, etc. 

Also; just because you are in the BG doesn't mean you can wear non-issue kit as your own unit can say no. I know during my tour the tankers weren't allowed their own LBE, etc. Saw one guy take his chances an have his own chest rig though.

I picked up a $99 Coyote Brown R.A.I.D. at the ATS store in Kentucky in June. Pretty good for $99 but I wouldn't want to carry any weight in it for any length of time. This TAG pack is an upgrade to the R.A.I.D. design, its on sale at LA Plice Gear. They have good closeout deals. The sniper specific attachments come off. http://www.lapolicegear.com/tag-sniper-pack.html

Back