• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

You don't usually do that at sea. We do it alongside, either from the jetty or from a small flat barge called "cat" that we can get from the Dockyard. If in foreign harbour you can do it from one of the ship's boat lowered over the side.

You don't usually do that at sea. We do it alongside, either from the jetty or from a small flat barge called "cat" that we can get from the Dockyard. If in foreign harbour you can do it from one of the ship's boat lowered over the side.
Also fun in a small softbottom inflatable.

1693541371472.png

Not sure if this is actually it or not. The odd shape makes me wonder as that's a bit out of normal for ships crests. However I could represent the fort that he helped take.

Maybe that's how their planning on manning all these new ships?
lol, had a serious arguement with someone on why Sea Cadets can't be considered 'special crew members' because A) they are kids B) they aren't trained (RCN baseline is NETP) and C) They are specifically excluded as not being in the CAF under the NDA because, child soldiers.

It's relevant because our ships are classed as cargo ships, so don't have the features you get when you have more than 12 passengers, and there should be a bunch of additional things you do other than just slap the hull and say 'that'll be good, I reckon'.

lol, had a serious arguement with someone on why Sea Cadets can't be considered 'special crew members' because A) they are kids B) they aren't trained (RCN baseline is NETP) and C) They are specifically excluded as not being in the CAF under the NDA because, child soldiers.
2778a0fc-6a9e-411d-8e84-659d7f62060b_text.gif

It would seem like the mystery of the missing badge has been solved, I found an image of it posted by the RCN on their Flickr account.

53156979365_7ab335f502_o.jpg

Taking the previous three into consideration, I'm going to guess that William Hall's crest will have a white background and a notable symbol from his life. I would wager that it will be a cannon, considering Hall won his Victoria Cross at the Siege of Lucknow by almost single handedly manning a 24 pounder cannon through the losses to his fellow men, eventually breaching the wall of an important enemy fortification. It might also work in something to do with the Victoria Cross he won, using its lion, crown or the cross itself as a part of the crest.
It seems my guess from back in July was fairly accurate, the cannon is present alongside the Victoria Cross and the white background. It also looks like there is two Mayflowers beside the VC, likely symbolizing Hall being born in Nova Scotia as that is the provincial flower. The black band is likely there to provide contrast to the VC/Mayflowers and to signify him as a Black Canadian. I haven't seen the crest anywhere else, it is notably absent from all of the personnel at the ceremony.

Unsure why it is not being showed off more, is there some issues with it behind the scenes or with the Heraldry Office? I very much could be looking into this far too much.

It would seem like the mystery of the missing badge has been solved, I found an image of it posted by the RCN on their Flickr account.

View attachment 79817

It seems my guess from back in July was fairly accurate, the cannon is present alongside the Victoria Cross and the white background. It also looks like there is two Mayflowers beside the VC, likely symbolizing Hall being born in Nova Scotia as that is the provincial flower. The black band is likely there to provide contrast to the VC/Mayflowers and to signify him as a Black Canadian. I haven't seen the crest anywhere else, it is notably absent from all of the personnel at the ceremony.

Unsure why it is not being showed off more, is there some issues with it behind the scenes or with the Heraldry Office? I very much could be looking into this far too much.
My guess would be its very high profile in NS. Nice looking ships badge though, would look nice on a coin. There is a possibility that it may be redesigned with a Kings crown vice the Queens one. I'm expecting Mr. expert on all matters naval will chime in on it before long.

My guess would be its very high profile in NS. Nice looking ships badge though, would look nice on a coin. There is a possibility that it may be redesigned with a Kings crown vice the Queens one. I'm expecting Mr. expert on all matters naval will chime in on it before long.
Nah, it’s ok. I can let this one slide 😂

My guess would be its very high profile in NS. Nice looking ships badge though, would look nice on a coin. There is a possibility that it may be redesigned with a Kings crown vice the Queens one.
I can't quite see but I think that' the naval crown on the crest and I don't think that changes with the soverigns own crown choices. Thats a pretty skookum crest though. Don't often you get one with a Cannon & a VC on it! Overall the AOPS crests have been quite good.

I can't quite see but I think that' the naval crown on the crest and I don't think that changes with the soverigns own crown choices. Thats a pretty skookum crest though. Don't often you get one with a Cannon & a VC on it! Overall the AOPS crests have been quite good.
Waiting patiently for a Corsair to make the crest on Hampton Gray….

Whom did you have in mind, Sir Drake or Sir Raleigh?

... Oh! Wait ! you meant the flying type. :)

Wouldn't that be an admission by the GoC that we need a Naval Air Arm? ;)
You should be looking to France for those who carried a lettre du course.

Back