• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

My thoughts on ISI are well known I think.

I am completely unsurprised by any of this.
The Coast Guard has to extend the life of its fisheries research vessels for two more years because the new ones built on the west coast have yet to become operational and are not expected to be for some time. So much for Navy Shooter.

The Coast Guard has to extend the life of its fisheries research vessels for two more years because the new ones built on the west coast have yet to become operational and are not expected to be for some time. So much for Navy Shooter.

What does that have to do with Navy Shooter ?

Most of the issues seem to be with the winches and Seaspan was doing that work under warranty. The question is who spec the winches, Seaspan or the DFO?

A series of short sea trials last fall tested oceanographic equipment — which measure conductivity, temperature and depth — and acoustic and trawling gear on board.

As is not unusual during the shakedown of a new ship, problems were found.

There were data communication and software issues with acoustic sensors and malfunctions with the winches, according to records released under access to information laws.

The most serious mishap was the total failure of the starboard trawl winch which reels up the nets and heavy metal weights used to keep the nets on the ocean bottom.

Winch problems again
The winch stopped working with more than two kilometres of cable in the water and could not be restarted.

DFO said the acoustic sensors have since been repaired and are awaiting testing.

The winch issue has also been identified and fixed.

"The problem aboard the CCGS Capt. Jacques Cartier was attributed to a singular bearing failure rendering the gearbox non-operational. The bearing has been replaced under warranty and the gearbox issue has been resolved," DFO said in response to questions from CBC News.

@STONEY VSY ** (the build yard in Vancouver) and VSL (the repair yard in Esquimalt) are actually two different companies under the same Seaspan mother company, but don't have common management, or the same workers.

ISI has different management for the build/repair side of things, but they are colocated and some workers move back and forth a bit, so it's a bit different context.

Production/design issues are pretty normal, especially on a new class of ship, in a new shipyard, and the NC build plan for 4 concurrent designs (that aren't fully done with requirements still changing) was crazy, so much harder start than ISI had with just AOPs.

Some of the things you see at ISI on the repair side (and Davie to a lesser extent in the past) are straight up sabotage /theft by workers, and haven't heard of that at all out of VSL (or in St. Catherines). We also don't see anything like that frequently at small yards that do the minor vessel refits (and if we do, they get blacklisted). Doesn't mean production is perfect elsewhere, but that's the kind of thing you can catch with normal QC.

(** may have VSY and VSL backwards)

I do security for VDC, some of their guys also work at VSY, I have heard them say it's boring over there, compared to ship repair. In the repair business, time is important and so is quality of work. The workers are well aware that their workmanship influences how much work they get. So they generally work hard and want to do a good job.

I do security for VDC, some of their guys also work at VSY, I have heard them say it's boring over there, compared to ship repair. In the repair business, time is important and so is quality of work. The workers are well aware that their workmanship influences how much work they get. So they generally work hard and want to do a good job.
The side benefit of doing commercial work.

As an aside I have thought that the government should not have defence only contracting companies (but then Boeing enters the chat)

Cutting open black-water suction pipes in the ship's Mini-Laundry (FRE and MON during MLR) and plugging the same section of pipe with threaded rod and welding rod respectively. Then welding the pipe back into place, thus blocking all of the black water suction in the forward end of the ship.

Cutting the AHWCS cables and tucking the cut ends back into the wiring bundle in the wire-way. We had to use a TDR (Time Domain Reflexometer) to measure how far down the cable the cut was.

Every ship in the fleet loses brass fittings. At one point, we had 2 ships in a row come back requiring all fire-hoses to be replaced because someone cut off the hose ends in the racks. 39 hose stations, 4 hoses per station, that's nearly 160 fire hoses needing replacement. Not to mention the lazy rod covers that went missing on a couple of ships, the brass bulkhead number markers...and so on. The fire sentries from ISI using our extinguishers, and keeping them.

Failing to put up a heated enclosure around the SONAR transducers when the dome had been removed, resulting in them freezing, the rubber separating from the crystal, and having to replace over 10% of the SET's.

The list goes on...
You know, the Military has their own Police Force and that's Military Property, just saying.

At my company, if a 3rd Party Contractor or Employee were screwing around like that, you can bet dollars to donuts our Police Force (which has more jurisdictional power than the bloody RCMP) would be tearing the place apart finding out who the culprits are.

MPs must be too busy giving parking tickets at Stadacona.

Last edited:
You know, the Military has their own Police Force and that's Military Property, just saying.

At my company, if a 3rd Party Contractor or Employee were screwing around like that, you can bet dollars to donuts our Police Force (which has more jurisdictional power than the bloody RCMP) would be tearing the place apart finding out who the culprits are.

Priorities...

No way in hell is ISI going to be held accountable for their production. It's all about politics my friend. These ships are meant to buy votes not fight or even be operational.

No way in hell is ISI going to be held accountable for their production. It's all about politics my friend. These ships are meant to buy votes not fight or even be operational.
Ahhhb yes, so we have found the enemy and he is us. Wouldn't it be great if we had a few Red Hats that just didnt GAF and decided to go rogue 😄

Ahhhb yes, so we have found the enemy and he is us. Wouldn't it be great if we had a few Red Hats that just didnt GAF and decided to go rogue 😄

Just look into Irving's tax avoidance practices. They have no interest in being part of a better Canada. They just want to suckle from the government teat and drain the taxpayer.

I bring 80 liters of diesel in jerry cans with me when I drive to Ont so I can avoid spending money in any Irving gas station I drive by.

Just look into Irving's tax avoidance practices. They have no interest in being part of a better Canada. They just want to suckle from the government teat and drain the taxpayer.

I bring 80 liters of diesel in jerry cans with me when I drive to Ont so I can avoid spending money in any Irving gas station I drive by.
Yah I don't think Irving is going to change any time soon but shitty Unionized employees at FMF and Irving should absolutely be investigated for any shenanigans.

The Company wouldn't defend them and I am certain would punt them ASAP.

Yah I don't think Irving is going to change any time soon but shitty Unionized employees at FMF and Irving should absolutely be investigated for any shenanigans.

The Company wouldn't defend them and I am certain would punt them ASAP.

I've never seen the level from FMF that I have from Irving.

What I have seen from FMF is a lazy workforce that pushes work to the last minute to gain overtime.

I remember when their riggers used to steal from our rations on the jetty. And we'd have to bribe them with rations to get work done. The Log world got fed up and BLog went and bought a bunch of zoom booms, trained up our Sup Tech's and now we don't use the riggers anymore unless the ZB can't reach or the material is too heavy; And because of that the riggers lost alot of positions.

I've never seen the level from FMF that I have from Irving.

What I have seen from FMF is a lazy workforce that pushes work to the last minute to gain overtime.

I remember when their riggers used to steal from our rations on the jetty. And we'd have to bribe them with rations to get work done. The Log world got fed up and BLog went and bought a bunch of zoom booms, trained up our Sup Tech's and now we don't use the riggers anymore unless the ZB can't reach or the material is too heavy; And because of that the riggers lost alot of positions.
Years ago one they went to pull some of the big valves off a shelf at FMF to fix something on PRE and it was missing all the internal bronze parts, so they checked a whack of them and a lot of them were just shells. They sent the MPs around to the scrapyards and found some pieces, but most of it was gone, and cost us a few million in write offs/custom fabrication (plus downtime) as they were all obsolete. I think that's aorund the same time we bought a new one off ebay for about a 10th of what it would cost from a mining company that was clearing out old spares.

Years ago one they went to pull some of the big valves off a shelf at FMF to fix something on PRE and it was missing all the internal bronze parts, so they checked a whack of them and a lot of them were just shells. They sent the MPs around to the scrapyards and found some pieces, but most of it was gone, and cost us a few million in write offs/custom fabrication (plus downtime) as they were all obsolete. I think that's aorund the same time we bought a new one off ebay for about a 10th of what it would cost from a mining company that was clearing out old spares.
Around 2010, PRO sourced a main stop valve from a scrapyard in Phoenix.

We caught a civi in BLog stealing brass from items going to be sold for scrap. He lost he job.

Around 2010, PRO sourced a main stop valve from a scrapyard in Phoenix.
That was Dan the valve guy in MEPM, and they found it on ebay (and then got a normal contract in place for the buy).

Ebay is actually a pretty good spot to identify old NSNs that don't have much on the system, and usually comes with pictures which is also great. Figured out what some legacy NSNs from the 60s and 70s were that way which were on my code.

If it's stuff that I've seen in my day job as an HPR, then I'll guarantee you that it's got a photo attached to the MMR in DRMIS now.

I got caught short once on an inspection I did for materiel sent out west. 20 bolts, checked 10% (2) and both of them were correct size/shape/tolerances. Upon arrival in ESQ, the other 18 were found to have been missing the through hole for the lock wire. Ever since, I've been photographing every HPR and adding that to the MMR.

It's always fun to call up an LCMM and mention to him/her that there's a winch/widget/etc of theirs that has shown up on GC Surplus, and did they mean for it to go there? Usually a moment of dead space on the phone after I ask that question, followed by "SEND ME THE LINK" :)

With my current and past role, I have absented myself from anything to do with buying from GC Surplus, since I've got the ability to sentence items for DS, and don't want to ever end up being questioned about a conflict of interest. Personal integrity is something I try to value.

Back