• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

The crest has been designed.  It looks cool.  People will love it.

Love the crest.

Should only have the last name though. Full names should be reserved for the coast guard.

The future HMCS Harry DeWolf may launch tomorrow. 

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/3938323

FSTO said:
Should only have the last name though. Full names should be reserved for the coast guard.

Don't know what you base that on, FSTO, since this is the first damn time in our history we have had Canadian Navy ships named after someone.

I agree with the second part, though: people's names should be reserved for the Coast Guard. The proper thing to do, after the "We're-the-Conservatives-and-we'll-tell-you-Navy-how-to-name-your-ships" era was over, would have been for the RCN to approach the Libs and ask them to rename the ships with proper, RCN like, Arctic ship's name, like LABRADOR, INUVIK, MACKENZIE, YUKON, etc.

After all, they did do it of the future PRO class in stead of the "Named-after-land-battles-pre-dating-Confederation" class.  ;D

Uzlu said:
The future HMCS Harry DeWolf may launch tomorrow. 

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/3938323

I heard from the RCN facebook group that she will begin the process at 5am and be lowered 1 foot per hour, with checks for leaks etc... being done.  The whole process will take up to 12 hours to complete.  Very different from the slip concept that is for sure.

You know, with the first AOPS being put in the water, steel being cut on the JSS, the Submarine Service being fully operational, Halifax Class going through refit with CSC on the horizon; I can't help but feel pretty good about my decision to, after 13 years wearing green, make a switch from the Army to the Navy.

I arrived in Esquimalt a few days ago to begin my training as a newly minted Aspiring NWO and the base is bustling with activity.  There is a brand spanking new FMF that looks just about built, a Frigate was being worked on at Seaspan and the yard looks significantly different from when I came out here nearly a decade ago to visit a buddy for a vacation.

I walked the whole base yesterday just to get a feel for the place and also to do my inclearance, very impressed.

My Grandson will soon be there for a deployment. He wears a green uniform, like his great grandfather, grandfather, father and mother. The other side of the house, grandfather/mother, Uncle wore blue.

FSTO said:
Love the crest.

Yeah, it would be clumsy.

Does anyone have any pics of the crest?  I can't find them anywhere.

Fred Herriot said:
Yeah, it would be clumsy.

Does anyone have any pics of the crest?  I can't find them anywhere.

It hasn't been officially released.  Anything you do see online may not be official or an initial draft.  Or not supposed to be there.  :facepalm:

yea!!!!

DnJbeOQU0AE8zbA.jpg

DnE6YqjX4AMuK0S.jpg

She's alongside pier 8 now.  The fire tug was out in full peacock celebrating her return from Bedford basin.  Very nice to see.  It's taken too long but the light is definitely at the end of the tunnel now.

Dimsum said:
Are those speed holes so she can go faster?  ;D

BZ!

Now I'm not a Naval Architect, but I'd say it's more that someone made the decision that side garage doors like the Iver Huitfeldt class were too expensive to winterize:

xUAJKEb.jpg

:whistle:

Okay, according to the Record, she still hasn't been christened yet.  Any news concerning that ceremony?

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/8903517-future-hmcs-harry-dewolf-meets-water/

Dimsum said:
Are those speed holes so she can go faster?  ;D

BZ!

Common to ships that operate in the Arctic, the hawsers are paid out and hauled in not exposing the part ships hands to the elements.

Back