• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
That's 2 in the water, and a 3rd that now looks like a full ship. Nice!

Obviously it took some time for the program to build up some momentum, which is expected when we are heavily modifying an already existing design, contracting a shipyard, they contract their suppliers and hire workers, get them trained, and the final details are all worked out. But now that the AOPS program has some momentum behind it, it's good to see these ships rolling out at what seems (to the most uneducated person ever in regards to shipbuilding) a pretty decent pace :giggle:

Underway

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
The pain they had to go through to get that thing certified ... So many issues (non-technical) that just kept jumping up in the way. BZ to the crew, ISI and the shore support staff for sorting it all out and getting it done on schedule!

In honour of the momentous occasion here's a nice article from Forbes that takes a balanced outside of the echo chamber look at the AOPS and Canada's approach to arming it.

Nice New Patrol Ship You’ve Got There, Canada—It’d Be A Shame If Somebody Sank It

Last edited:

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
The pain they had to go through to get that thing certified was unbelievable. So many issues (non-technical) that just kept jumping up in the way. BZ to the crew, ISI and the shore support staff for sorting it all out and getting it done on schedule!

In honour of the momentous occasion here's a nice article from Forbes that takes a balanced outside of the echo chamber look at the AOPS and Canada's approach to arming it.

Nice New Patrol Ship You’ve Got There, Canada—It’d Be A Shame If Somebody Sank It
Oh oh oh! Don’t leave us hanging!

What kinda of issues kept popping up to get it certified??

Underway

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Oh oh oh! Don’t leave us hanging!

What kinda of issues kept popping up to get it certified??
BAE needed a SME there to certify the weapon. The SME is based out of the head office. In the UK. COVID. I think you can follow the equation on this one.

There were other challenges of course, but I'm gonna let them breathe until they are no longer operationally or project relevant. 🍻

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
The pain they had to go through to get that thing certified ... So many issues (non-technical) that just kept jumping up in the way. BZ to the crew, ISI and the shore support staff for sorting it all out and getting it done on schedule!

Except the article missed that the Arctic is only one of the areas they will operate in.

Spencer100

Reaction score
I wonder if Irving will bid? With GoC help? It would be an interesting idea if the gov subsidizes it. With an election coming. One more ship in the que before the start of CSC. But suspect we can't beat the Asian and European builders on price.

Last edited:

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
This is the challenge:
The RFI anticipates the ship will be 295-377 feet in length, with accommodations for 100 people, including 60 crew members, 30 scientific staff and a military helicopter flight crew of 10. The RFI cautions that the ship will traverse “one of the roughest seas in the world.” Waves in the region regularly exceed 33 feet and some are more than 66 feet high.

I suspect they can squeeze in the 100 people with a downgrade in accommodations, the heavy weather aspect, I can't say. But I believe the design stands a good chance and perhaps the CCG might relinquish one of the ships destined for it? Meaning Irving can provide a fairly concrete timeline and the ship will be limited in it's bespoke aspects. Plus apparently NZ was pleased with VSS handling of their frigate upgrade, so perhaps Canada will become NZ new best ship building/repair buddy?

Underway

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
I wonder if Irving will bid? With GoC help? It would be an interesting idea if the gov subsidizes it. With an election coming. One more ship in the que before the start of CSC. But suspect we can't beat the Asian and European builders on price.

I don't think AOPS meets the requirements. The sea's are too heavy, the number of crew are too high and the range is too long and AOPS is an icebreaker, not an ice-strengthened ship.

NZ is looking for a horse of a different colour. I'm sure NZ reached out the PMO AOPS for info as they were developing their requirements. Allies do that sort of thing all the time.