• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arcon05 - Company Signaler = the suckage

jmackenzie - look at things on a different level.  Yeah, you've got a job that to you sucks rectum - we all get them.  But there is a much birighter side to it - the more diversity you see in your line of work, the better off you'll be as far as employment opportunities go and as far as advancement as well.  All arms of the service need well rounded soldiers, especially when you get to some of the loftier ranks - the more you know and have done, the better things will flow for you.  If there are problems with something, they are easier to fix.  Also that "Achieve Professional Competence" thing you learn on PLQ - the more you know, the more you can pass on and train your troops with.  I got labelled as a storesman early on - didn't like it, but hey, that's what I did.  From stores I went to pharmacy, there to finance, and then, God forbid, back to looking after sick people.  Now I fit names and bodies to little numbers and write memos - not overly exciting, but again a necessary evil, for the outside agencies my unit looks after, for my troopies, and for myself.  In the end though, when push came to shove and I got dropped into somewhere, I was able to get stuff done easily - not to mention get stuff.  There was very little new I had to learn - just a few idiosyncracies that had changed, but that's all.  One of these days, you're going to be a section commander or a platoon warrant - the more tools you have in your tool box, the more self-sufficient you'll become and (hopefully, with the right bosses) the more recognition you'll get.

MM

I think the best advice here, jmackenzie, is to approach your section commander/sergeant major or whomever is in charge of you these days and be honest with them; you enjoyed the challenge of working in the CP but would like to have the opportunity to utilize your other skills in the field during the coming year.   The squeaky wheel gets the grease.   I've witnessed conversations like that, as well as participated in them, and they usually turn out to the advantage of all concerned.

I don't detect a bad attitude on your part, just a desire for your work to be fun and fulfilling.   You're entitled to that.   And your bosses have some responsibility in providing that, where they can and where the Army's needs coincide with that.  

So just be honest with them - they'll appreciate it, and if the answer is no for awhile, I think you're mature enough to realize what to do based on what you've said here.

"Sucking it up in silence" is what we prescribed for homecoming vets in the bad old days; we've seen how well that works. 

Bearing in mind of course that honest dialogue doesn't involve threatening to quit or making demands etc., etc.

George - I don't neccessarily mean that he's on the road to promotion, but next summer, when they are deciding who gets to go on the "Jammy" courses, who are they going to think of first, the "grey man" in a rifle platoon or the guy who did a bang-up job in the CP last year. Sometimes, hanging out in the "head-shed" can be beneficial.

I'll also add that if nothing else, sometimes a troop just needs the morale boost of knowing that his bosses realize he's not where he wants to be.   jmackenzie's boss may very well say something like "I know you're pissed off right now and would rather be in the field with your buddies but..." - as discussed in a long thread (in which sigpig, oddly, claimed he didn't need to know why he was doing anything and many of the regulars here told him he was wrong) a soldier should know the rationale for what he is doing.   If your unit doesn't have signallers, no harm in letting you know what the scoop is - sometimes that's all you need.   "Hey, look, it would be doing the unit a great service if you helped us out in the CP on the next couple of exercises - I know you'd rather be elsewhere but...."   Sometimes something as small as hearing that will re-energize a troop.  

And at best, it presents yourself in a more favourable light; you've made it known you are doing stuff you don't really want to be doing, and for the good of the unit. As pointed out, may come in handy when promotions, awards, courses come up.

But definitely talk to your bosses about it and don't smolder in silence - or worse, quit.  And hey, maybe the sergeant major will say "if you can hang on just one more ex, we have some jimmies joining us in November."

Good luck either way; keep us posted.

Thanks alot for the input, it was much appreciated.

Initially i was just very pissed I would have to do this, but it is a necessary evil and yeah, the more well rounded you are, the better.
I suppose it  was in my best interest in the end anyway... i got the best assessment since i've been in the military, and was recommended for PLQ at the next opportunity (in more words).So despite hating it, it was good for me.

It's not a permanent position and its simply not in my nature to do anything less than the best I can.

Thanks again for the input to this young and headstrong trooper =p

jmmackenzie,
Don't stress so much about this, mate. My QL4 was comms too (my other option at the time was mortars--not my thing). At least you got to sit in a CP. I remember being an augmentee (filling in the blanks for RTUs) on the field portion of an infantry JLC carrying an often broken 77 set and ruck all over the training area (for "realism" aka "c**k") for a course I wasn't even on.  The course WO gave me a great assessment and recommended I be on the next course . People are right when they say this can get you noticed as a capable soldier and get you good stuff.

SpruceTree said:
People are right when they say this can get you noticed as a capable soldier and get you good stuff.

That part is true.It got me a commendation and a spot on the next PLQ apparently.
I get promoted shortly.. life is good.

Back