• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

And the Lights went out all over the World....................

I turned on extra lights.  Tonight was a waste of time (Earth hour).  So, the lights go out, we feel good for ourselves, and then we go back to consuming energy as usual.  Feel better?  :D

We had ours out for just over an hour ...

Had the oil lamps lit over the fireplace, pushed the living room furniture back against the walls to clear the centre of the room.

Then in our sock feet on the hardwood floor ... the kids went about "teaching" me The Melbourne Shuffle. Mother of gawd ... I swear kids today do not have any bones in their bodies!! They are like jellyfish!! All liquidy-like.

My son cracked up -- "You suck!!"

My daughter -- "Pretty good for a antique."

:mad:

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
I turned on extra lights.  Tonight was a waste of time (Earth hour).  So, the lights go out, we feel good for ourselves, and then we go back to consuming energy as usual.  Feel better?  :D

So let me get this right,

The army tells you to do it it in a hole at night, in the pouring rain.  That's for the Country.

We as a global community ask for an hour of your time to do it and it is a waste?

I will retire to bedlham and paint some more rocks white.....

dileas

tess

ArmyVern said:

Had the oil lamps lit over the fireplace, pushed the living room furniture back against the walls to clear the centre of the room.

Then in our sock feet on the hardwood floor ... the kids went about "teaching" me The Melbourne Shuffle. Mother of gawd ... I swear kids today do not have any bones in their bodies!! They are like jellyfish!! All liquidy-like.

And I can imagine them saying that Vern  ;D

:cheers:

ArmyVern said:

Well it would be on with the Burqua on!

;)

dileas

tess

Truth be told, with global warming, I'm not sure if we are doing this to ourselves or this is a natural phenominum.  It does remind me of the 70's and the energy crisis and my kids are now turning off lights.  GO LOWER HYDRO!!!

God, I'm sick of hearing the words "carbon" and "footprint" used in the same sentence.  ::)  The Earth's climate changes naturally, humans are not the cause of it. I'll be glad when this particular fad dies a natural death, just like digital watches.

Okay everybody, big global group hug for Mother Gaia!!!

Excuse me, I have to go to my Inner Awareness Through Yoga and Fake Science class...

Global warming, my @$$!  We're still waiting for spring here in the Cariboo, where it got to a high of 2C!

Myself, I can't wait for this place to become a tropical paradise, so I made sure all my lights are on!  ;D

We did the Earth Hour thing, my 9yr old was very adamant about it.  Then promptly a 9pm after fumbling around in the dark for an hour, everyone got up and did their thing.  Then I being the mom had to go around and turn all the lights off again in the rooms that they just been in.  I guess it didn't stick too well.  Might have been a little easier had we been on the westcoast when the sun was actually still shining!  Whatever, didn't really make a whole lot of sense, but anyway.  Back to our regularlily scheduled program:)

- Years ago, back in old country, also turn out lights.  Then all good citizens dress same and march down streets at night carrying torches, then throw books on big fire.  Same mentality.

NFLD Sapper said:
And I can imagine them saying that Vern  ;D

:cheers:

You try this ... and then come back and tell me how you make out!!  :mad:

I think one needs to be under the age of 15 to do it!! I do think I lost 15 pounds in sweat though.  :)

The Melbourne Shuffle

Where I live, by this time, we'd normally be golfing for a couple of weeks. Cut the lawn at least once. Riding our motorcycles for a few weeks and working on tans. Instead, it's zero degrees outside, still have snow left over from the storm on Thurs/Friday (second in a week).

Went out to a bar for earth day. Found the most lit up one, electricity sucking amped band and coldest beer place within walking distance. We took the car. Drove around looking for a parking spot close by, and let it idle while having a smoke before going inside. :blotto:

Al (I invented the internet) Gore and David (got my degree in fruit fly research) Suzuki are full of shyte. We're in a normal earth cycle. Global warming is a farce and bullshit science. :mad:

Oh wait, that's another thread. :p

ArmyVern said:

I think one needs to be under the age of 15 to do it!! I do think I lost 15 pounds in sweat though.  :)

The Melbourne Shuffle

Good Lord!  That got me tired, just watching it  I'm glad all my girls have already flown the coop or I'd be subject to Melbourne Shuffle lessons too. 

ArmyVern said:

The Melbourne Shuffle

Bar none the moppitty headed fellow witht he purple jersey had them all beat.

He was dope! (Do they still say that?)

dileas

tess

ArmyVern said:
You try this ... and then come back and tell me how you make out!!  :mad:

I think one needs to be under the age of 15 to do it!! I do think I lost 15 pounds in sweat though.  :)

The Melbourne Shuffle

Pfffft!  It's not like you could dance like that in a bar.  There'd be no room!!  ;)

I agree with Tess, buddy in the purple shirt was pretty good.  I think his baggy pants made it look better.  ;D

ArmyVern said:

The Melbourne Shuffle

Just watched the Melbourne Shuffle Basics on youtube and that brought back memories.  All that was old is new again.  Surely some of you remember the old "Submarine Drill" where the troops did everything in one spot, including the March Past, and the Reviewing Officer would do the shuffle left and right?

As for Global Warming, NASA several months ago discovered that the temperatures on Mars were rising.  As it can't be blamed on Man, in most instances, it can only lead me to believe that there must be some sort of intelligent and "Industrialized" life on Mars.  ;D

As for here in Ottawa, the politicos must have felt guilty.  A City Snowblower went down our street twice at zero dark thirty to widen the street from one lane back into two.  After that awakening, the city seems to have felt obliged to turn off the power.  Power was restored at 0800 hrs and my furnace went into overdrive for the next thirty-five minutes.  I would say that this probably caused more of an energy drain than having left things at a mean rate.  Oh well!  We all know environmentalist have lofty dreams, but suck on planning and common sense.

George Wallace said:
Just watched the Melbourne Shuffle Basics on youtube and that brought back memories.  All that was old is new again.  Surely some of you remember the old "Submarine Drill" where the troops did everything in one spot, including the March Past, and the Reviewing Officer would do the shuffle left and right?

Actually, I distinctly recall a certain parade happening on a certain parade square in Pet which was conducted with Highway to Hell blasting out from the shacks.

Perhaps we should have a huge parade, pick a good tune, and give 'er on the parade square, video camera on hand "The Submarine Shuffle". My kids are such dorks --- they'd learn it!!

ArmyVern said:
You try this ... and then come back and tell me how you make out!!  :mad:

I think one needs to be under the age of 15 to do it!! I do think I lost 15 pounds in sweat though.  :)

The Melbourne Shuffle

DDR makes for a good warm up!  My son and his friends haven't latched onto the shuffle yet....still too busy into fancy footwork on the soccer pitch...and also still thinking girls are yucky.  I'm sure it's only a matter of time until the "hanging out at the mall, shuffling" starts...  Until then, finishing GH3 at medium makes me cool enough with the young crowd.

G2G

p.s.  Turned all the lights off, but the fireplace was one...at least it's 98% efficient...and snuggly warm.

p.p.s.  My house is fully fluorescent-equipped, so I'm already running at 20-25% lighting consumption vs. conventional...so even if I hadn't turned everything off for a single hour, I still feel I'm responsible enough not to needlessly waste power.

I didn't turn off the lights, but I had forgotten about it.

I heard on the news this morning that the power consumption in Calgary went up by 10 MW during Earth hour.

Back