• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ancient Persians 'gassed Romans' - BBC News

Yrys

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Ancient Persians 'gassed Romans'

Ancient Persians were the first to use chemical warfare against
their enemies, a study has suggested.

A UK researcher said he found evidence that the Persian Empire
used poisonous gases on the Roman city of Dura, Eastern Syria,
in the 3rd Century AD. The theory is based on the discovery of
remains of about 20 Roman soldiers found at the base of the city
wall.

_45390397_duraminegas226300yaleuni.jpg

Remains in the city wall suggest toxic
gases were used in a siege on the city

The findings were presented the Archaeological Institute of America's
annual meeting. The study shows that the Persians dug a mine
underneath the wall in order to enter the city.

They also ignited bitumen and sulphur crystals to produce dense
poisonous gases, suggested Simon James, an archaeologist at
the University of Leicester. He added that underground bellows
or chimneys probably helped generate and distribute the deadly
fumes.

The Romans apparently responded with counter-mines in an effort
to thwart the siege. "For the Persians to kill 20 men in a space less
than 2m high or wide, and about 11m long, required superhuman
combat powers - or something more insidious," said Dr James.

"The Roman assault party was unconscious in seconds, dead in minutes."

Excavations showed that the soldiers' bodies were stacked near
the counter-mine entrance by the attackers to create a protective
barricade before setting the tunnel on fire. "It is clear from the
archaeological evidence at Dura that the Sasanian Persians were
as knowledgeable in siege warfare as the Romans," said Dr James.

"They surely knew of this grim tactic."

_45393549_persian_mine466x220.gif

Evidence also shows that the Persians dug their mine with the
intention of collapsing the city wall and adjacent tower. Although
the mine failed to destroy the structures, the attackers eventually
conquered the city.

However, how they broke into the city still remains a mystery
because details of the siege cannot be found in surviving historical
records. Dura was later abandoned, and its inhabitants were
slaughtered or deported to Persia.

In 1920, the well-preserved ruins were unearthed by Indian
troops trying to dig defensive trenches along the buried city wall.
The structures were excavated in a series of campaigns in the
1920s and 1930s by French and American researchers.

In recent years, they have been extensively re-examined using
modern technology. Dr James and a colleague are currently
investigating records and objects collected about 80 years ago.

very interesting - great find!

so much for Ypres being the first.  I love ancient warfare articles - keep em coming!

Think that Ypres will be the 1st large scale application of poisonous gas technology.
This Roman/Persian stuff was small in scale by comparison

geo said:
Think that Ypres will be the 1st large scale application of poisonous gas technology.
This Roman/Persian stuff was small in scale by comparison

regardless of scale, still very interesting!  After seeing it used in siege once (relatively successfully) you'd think there HAS to be further uses of it

No doubt - but it doesn't look like it was part of any skillset that the Persians hung onto -  lord knows there was the probable sentencing to death of the sappers who dug the mine shaft.

This "gassing" was probably unintentional. The Persians probably just put the bitumen and sulfur (B&S) in to make the fire hotter to better collapse the wall. They probably didn't know about the Roman counter-mine. If they did it would have taken some super human effort to get that B&S fire started up as a Roman assault party moved down 20 metres of tunnel. I think any fire producing smoke would have had the same results for the Romans being in a confined space and breathing it in. As for the forcing of the fumes through the Roman counter-mine it would have been readily achieved when the Romans knocked out the last few inches of dirt and created some suction. So I guess it was a combination of Syrian luck and Roman bad luck. But anyway, it didn't play a big part in the final victory so it is just an interesting exercise in ancient history speculation.

Other examples of using sulpher to generate toxic smoke clouds are reported in Warfare in the Classical World: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Weapons, Warriors, and Warfare in the Ancient Civilisations of Greece and Rome . The general idea was to ignite a caldroun of sulpher and push it forward through a breach in the wall. One refinement was to make the pole holding the caldron hollow and using a bellows to force air over the burning sulpher; making a much more potent fire and blowing the smoke into the beseiged stronghold.

kkwd said:
As for the forcing of the fumes through the Roman counter-mine it would have been readily achieved when the Romans knocked out the last few inches of dirt and created some suction.

I don't know about that... that would be assuming that the air was at a lower pressure in the counter-mine...  unless you're just speculating that the smoke rises due to heat and thus would follow this new exit?

I suggest as the scientists mentioned in this article did. It is all just speculation on my part and maybe a bit of imagination mixed in, or a lot.  :)

no no I think you really brought up some excellent points.  Study history at all? 

Somehow I can't see them using things that would create such noxious fumes in their own tunnel for purposes of excavation, if only because of the danger to their own soldiers/diggers. 

As for them intentionally or not using it on the counter mine, I agree they probably didn't know about it, but they probably intended to use it inside the city walls (release it from the tunnel when they broke through).

as you said, speculation.

You must remember that 1000 years ago things were not like today.  Commanders in those days were not afraid to sacrifice their men for a victory.  Their had very little regard for their mens safety.  In fact, many treated their horses better than their men.

If you have a shortage of timber and need a good fire going I would say that adding some bitumen to the fire would be very effective. Looking at modern pictures of the city I can't see much to burn around it. And seeing that bitumen contains amounts of sulfur if an analysis was conducted it would turn up both. A few sappers lost in the fight is of no consequence, achieving the goal is of prime importance.

danger to their own soldiers/diggers. 
... that's a Sapper (as in sapping the strength out of a wall/fortification)

A few sappers lost in the fight is of no consequence,
Hey, hey, talk nice ... though that could explain why the saying " there are never enough sappers - when war breaks out"

kkwd said:
If you have a shortage of timber and need a good fire going I would say that adding some bitumen to the fire would be very effective. Looking at modern pictures of the city I can't see much to burn around it. And seeing that bitumen contains amounts of sulfur if an analysis was conducted it would turn up both. A few sappers lost in the fight is of no consequence, achieving the goal is of prime importance.

Right  ::)

A sapper is worth as much as a platoon of infantry.

geo said:
... that's a Sapper (as in sapping the strength out of a wall/fortification)

No need to roll eyes, I understand what a sapper was (although I thought the name also had to do with the term saps from world war one when they would be in the forward positions ahead of the line - or was it the other way around? ie saps comes from sappers).  Anyway, i digress...

The reason I didn't use the term sapper was because I don't really think that they would have specialized sappers at that point in time, or if they did IMHO it's much more likely that there would be one or two to lead the project while the rest would just be (as I said) soldiers/diggers. 

What I mean is, when they DID eventually breach the ground on the opposite side of the tunnel, they wouldn't want to send in specialized men or engineers or what-have-you, they would want to pour in footsoldiers - so I doubt that all the men digging would be 'sappers'.

NFLD Sapper, I don't think kkwd was speaking in terms of today's views, I think more like the terms that were expressed earlier with respect to how officers treated their men. 

I still disagree with the notion that it was an accident using the gas... although I guess it could be decided by a vital question that geo brought up.

Was the purpose of the tunnel, as he stated, more to 'sap' the strength of the city walls, or was it to breach the other side and use it an a point of invasion?

NFLD Sapper said:
Right  ::)
A sapper is worth as much as a platoon of infantry.

1 company of infantry - $15,678,213.23
1 battery of guns      -  $24,789,012.67
1 squadron of tanks  -  $45,342,813.78
1 sapper                  - priceless

Note: The above costs are flexible, depending on your imagination.  ;D

kkwd....
When you are stuck in a minefield... you betcha your bottom dollar that a Sapper & his kit is priceless

The ancient Persians had minefields?                                                                                                    >:D

Yup... right behind the herd of elefants ;)

Back