• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

The PLDA bubble is, AFAIK, the same map as the geographical boundaries.  If you go to the DIN/DWAN DCBA site, they are available there.  As an example, I worked with a guy who lived in Milford and he was in the PLDA/geo boundary (north of Hfx).  As far as 'how far west of Hfx', I think its about Newport Corner as I knew a guy who had a PMQ there.  Not sure on the East and South Boundaries.

I'd send you the link or info (I believe the Hfx info includes a map) but I'm on leave for the next bit.  Maybe someone else can help?

Good luck on the HHT!

mkil said:
I have looked through this thread and others, but still have a question. My husband and I will be house hunting in Halifax soon and our real estate agent has asked us to put together a pre-trip shopping list. My question is: what is the geographic area for Halifax that is eligible for PLD? It is not unusual for people to commute 50 km into the city, but I am assuming that isn't part of the area. Any information is helpful!

Geographical boundaries for most places.

http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/travel/engraph/geographical_boundaries_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=7

Thank you very much! Truly appreciated beyond belief! I am still new to the CF, so navigating the DWAN is still tricky. Cheers!

Tcm621 said:
Comox is similar.  Living in Comox is still very expensive.

For real estate yes,  nearly everything else is cheaper!

Perhaps someone can explain to me why Halifax gets more than Cold Lake?

Those who administer the PLD would have more credibility if they made the formula PUBLIC

Dolphin_Hunter said:

Halifax doesn't fit the formula, but the former MND was from Nova Scotia so....

Which has nothing to do with PLD for Halifax.

Tax in NS is very high compared to other province.  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

Scroll down on that page for the provincial rates.  But for quick ref, I pay 7.5% more tax than I would in Alberta.  My PLD when I was in Hfx was approx. $190/pay cycle and didn't even really cover the difference in taxes from say, someone in Trenton.

Dolphin_Hunter said:

Those who administer the PLD would have more credibility if they made the formula PUBLIC

They have not revised the PLD rates in more than a few years.  Cold Lake much like Edmonton in the 2006/7 time frame shot up quite dramatically in a short period of time.  Last CANFORGEN on PLD was CANFORGEN 084/10 CMP 039/10 081701Z APR 10, so there is a significant time gap.  I would hope that it is being reviewed as it seems Cold Lake pers are hurting.

I've read throughh this topic, but, can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I've read through this forum that new recruits aren't eligible for PLD at allif you don't have ql3 done by a certain date. Is this true?

Hattie56 said:
I've read throughh this topic, but, can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I've read through this forum that new recruits aren't eligible for PLD at allif you don't have ql3 done by a certain date. Is this true?

Where did you read that on this forum and if it is here somewhere...read down a little farther in that thread, I am sure someone would have corrected the poster.

Can some one please tell me where I can find the list of PLD rates for across the country, seeing as they vary and I have a few subordinates that are being posted this year and are curious what the rates are at the bases that they may potentially be going to.

Keep in mind that there has not been a change to PLD rates for a number of years.  Thus, when they do change, the differences may be significant.

I would be very cautious about making plans based on current rates.

And ensure that they understand the difference between an area getting PLD and an area getting TPLD. Newly posted in members to a TPLD area do not receive PLD, only those members who were there before the area was designated as a TPLD area are eligible.

Hattie56 said:

I transferred over in Aug 13 and was told that untrained recruits are no longer entitled to PLD, (policy change in Ottawa).  You become eligible for PLD once you become "trained in trade", for most trades OFP or QL3.  For me, 4 years of University then a 4 month trade course.

TwoTonShackle said:
I transferred over in Aug 13 and was told that untrained recruits are no longer entitled to PLD, (policy change in Ottawa).  You become eligible for PLD once you become "trained in trade", for most trades OFP or QL3.  For me, 4 years of University then a 4 month trade course.

What question did you ask and what was your understanding of the answer?  Your basic assertion that you don't become entitled to PLD until "trained in trade" (the more correct term would actually be "occupation qualified") is false.  As has been stated elsewhere, PLD has nothing to do with level of qualification or career status.  Entitlement is entirely based on the location of your primary residence.  Having said that, newly enrolled personnel who are still in the training system MAY not be entitled because their primary residence is often a single quarter.  If that is the case, then no, there is no entitlement to PLD, but that is because they are resident in a single quarter, not because of their career/qualification status.

When I put in my application form for PLD and then came back the next week to see if it was actioned I was told that there is a policy change stating untrained recruits are no longer eligible for PLD.  That they will become eligible once they are "trained in trade" or OFP "Operationally Function Point".  I then spoke to the Chief Clerk as as a Reservist the week prior I was entitled to PLD but now not so as a Regular force member.  I was then told she would send my file up to Ottawa for review.

If you were a reservist who CT'd to the Regular Force, you may not be eligible because you generally cannot claim PLD unless you are posted (i.e. for the most part moved at public expense) into a PLD location.  If you simply did a CT, then the system regards you as serving at place of enrollment (i.e. you have not been moved).  And if you haven't moved, then the system says you haven't suffered a hardship (i.e. the relative cost of living from your perspecive hasn't changed)because your circumstances have not changed; therefore, you are not entitled to PLD.  This is a problem in many cases where folks' first postings have been the places where they enrolled.  It's a particular problem for CTs.

I am not defending this logic, because I don't agree with it and I think it is extremely flawed.  However, that's where we are at the moment.  I also know that there has been some effort to try and fix some of these anomalies.  Unfortunately, the entire benefit is under threat from Treasury Board and so there is a real reluctance by the Department to open a can of worms.

If you were to be posted away for training and then posted back to the same location, then you would be eligble for PLD (but not TPLD).  This may by why some folks seem to think that PLD eligibility is related to occupation qualification.

Unfortunately that is not the case anymore, (at least as briefed to and explained to me).  I will attempt to dig up my e-mails.  In 2008 my wife switched from Res to Reg through ROTP as a Reservist not entitled to PLD (from the local area) and day one began collecting PLD (as did her peers in the same circumstance).  All of the CT's I assisted with, (the latest not including my own but an ROTP entry to MAR Eng O, Aug '12), were Reservists from the local area, staying in the area and who began/continued collecting PLD.  CT's normally get posted to the BTL/ULO section of whichever base they will be serving at, so there is a posting involved.  It is entirely possible to be ATP'd to a local BTL so that members do not have to sit in a PAT platoon for 4 months on a different coast waiting for a course.

This seems to be a new cost saving measure, unfortunately on the backs of those who would need the help the most, (I do not place myself in that group as I was fortunate enough to keep rank pay and incentive WO Basic IPC 2 but check out the pay for a Private/OCdt).  Again I will try and get the e-mailed "official" response, but the PLD policy has been changed or my OR is completely out of the loop.

Back