• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

Beadwindow 7 said:
I can understand if there's NO accomodations, but that wouldn't just be a rank thing. I know of many Cpls, and a few Jacks living in the W's. None of them have been Forced out.

The key word IS/ARE living in the shacks right now.  The soldier I'm talking about moved here upon re-enrollment and was told to find accomodations on the economy. 

MJP said:
The key word IS/ARE living in the shacks right now.  The soldier I'm talking about moved here upon re-enrollment and was told to find accomodations on the economy. 

Seen, but I'm sure that would happen to anyone in the Pte-MCpl rank moving in and asking for SLI if there's no room. As it stands, I haven't seen anything come down forcing current living-in members out, regardless of rank or TI.

As an aside, do we know if they're still keeping Bldg 222 as transients, or are they moving SLI members there?

popnfresh said:
Wow that sucks. What about Shilo? I just want PPCLI, I don't care where.

I have no clue about Shilo.  with PLD rent on the economy really is not that bad. :)

Seen, but I'm sure that would happen to anyone in the Pte-MCpl rank moving in and asking for SLI if there's no room. As it stands, I haven't seen anything come down forcing current living-in members out, regardless of rank or TI.

Maybe it's just a long day but I'm not following you.  I am talking about a soldier that is a Cpl and has been moved to Edmonton.  During his clearing in he was instructed to find living accomodations on the economy as he would not be given SLI quarters.  He wasn't already living there.  There are and were when he was clearing in, rooms availiable.

You are talking about Cpl-Mcpls already living in.  There is no plan to get them to move out, just that base quarters will restrict new living in pers to Ptes (coming in off of their 3's etc etc).  Now I'm sure someone can get SLI quarters if they can claim and prove some sort of inability to live on the economy, but I'm sure it will bethe exception rather than the norm.

I don't know about Bldg 222 but considering the dirth of transient quarters as well, I don't forsee that changing unless we get some new buildings.

Lots of room in Shilo. 

"As it stands, I haven't seen anything come down forcing current living-in members out, regardless of rank or TI."

As discussed its SOP in Gagetown.

MJP said:
just that base quarters will restrict new living in pers to Ptes (coming in off of their 3's etc etc). 

What is the rationale/reasoning for this?

MJP said:
Maybe it's just a long day but I'm not following you.  I am talking about a soldier that is a Cpl and has been moved to Edmonton. 

Could be a long day. I'm saying I can understand someone moving into edmonton, asking for R&Q, and being told they need to live off the economy. And as the housing issue stands, I'm sure this'll be happening a bit in the next little while.

As far as Edmonton goes, no one is being forced out if they already live in.

Regarding this :
There are and were when he was clearing in, rooms availiable

Who told him this? Was it Base R&Q, the OR, the ROS? Because it's the first I hear about anyone being turned away when there's room's available.

Personally, I moved out of shacks when I was still a Pte. With the PLD (and I moved out with no PLD) going up, and the Bde Comd's 3 year Cpl policy, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to live off the economy (yes, I am aware that not everyone is in the same situation).

I don't think anyones gonna have any warm fuzzies regarding the SLI situation until more buildings go up.

I wasn't privy to the conversation but anecdotally, we have been told in several O-Groups that space is at a premium in the shacks.  One can surmise that this is Base quarters way of ensuring there are rooms for younger troops fresh off their 3's.  

Plus a Cpl/MCpl can afford to live on the economy better that an IPC1-2 Pte, especially with PLD.  Even IR guys are being told to take a hike and live on the economy, although they get much better financial compensation for it.

Who told him this? Was it Base R&Q, the OR, the ROS? Because it's the first I hear about anyone being turned away when there's room's available.

Base R&Q

I'm clearing in 18 new BIQ troops tomorrow so while I'm down at R&Q, I will get from them the official policy.  However there is fresh blood in there right now and they are and seem to be doing a better job than what was done in the past.  Maybe we are just starting to see the beginning of better management of the scant resources we have.

MJP said:
I'm clearing in 18 new BIQ troops tomorrow so while I'm down at R&Q, I will get from them the official policy.  However there is fresh blood in there right now and they are and seem to be doing a better job than what was done in the past.  Maybe we are just starting to see the beginning of better management of the scant resources we have.

Right from the CWO in charge of  R&Q, Cpls and above wanting to move into SLI in Edmonton will be told to pound salt and live on the economy.  There is no plan to force people already living in to move out of the shacks.

MJP said:
Right from the CWO in charge of  R&Q, Cpls and above wanting to move into SLI in Edmonton will be told to pound salt and live on the economy.  There is no plan to force people already living in to move out of the shacks.

Even if there are rooms available?  ::) 

Eye In The Sky said:
Even if there are rooms available?   ::) 

Yes even if rooms are availiable.  I don't see why you are rolling your eyes, with PLD and the pay a Cpl and up makes no one should be complaining that hard.  There will be exceptions to the rule we all know the 'Tard that couldn't manage his finances to save his life and gets so screwed up he needs to move into shacks  to sort out his life.

Thanks for the info MJP.

Would I be right in thinking that most of the new folks clearing in to BN's are 18-20ish? I know I have enough cash saved for a new car or rent, but I know one of my best friends also hoping to live in shacks does not. Good policy in my opinion.

It just wouldn't make sense to screw over brand newish troops from the get go financially, last time I checked retention in the CF was a priority.

popnfresh said:
Would I be right in thinking that most of the new folks clearing in to BN's are 18-20ish? I know I have enough cash saved for a new car or rent, but I know one of my best friends also hoping to live in shacks does not. Good policy in my opinion.

It just wouldn't make sense to screw over brand newish troops from the get go financially, last time I checked retention in the CF was a priority.

Most are in that age bracket.  If your getting posted here from somewhere else, IRP covers tons of stuff for renting first month deposit and stuff.  I'm not up on the rental portion of entitlments but check out http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/CF_Integrated_Relocation_Program_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=99 and click on CFIRP FY 08/09 to get the latest and greatest info.

Refs: A. CBI 205.45(1) Definitions http://www.dnd.ca/dgcb/cbi/pdf/CBI_205_Sec_3.pdf
B. http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgcb/dppd/pld/engraph/PLD_FAQ_e.asp?sidesection=8&sidecat=12
C. CFAO 209-28(22) Removal Benefits

Good day to all;

Hopefully someone here can help with this one.  I am after actual regulations other than those above in regards to subj.  I am trying to establish 100% if a mbr enrolled and posted with move of HG&E restricted is entitled to PLD. According to ref A and B mbr is entitled to PLD at rate of enrolment location until move is authorized.

Not really sure what the issue is or what else you are looking for Ref's A & B spell it out pretty clearly to me. Ref C has nothing to do with PLD or TPLD.

CountDC said:
I am after actual regulations other than those above in regards to subj. 
Ref A IS the actual regulation.

CountDC said:
According to ref A and B mbr is entitled to PLD at rate of enrolment location until move is authorized.
(iii) the place where the member’s household goods and effects were located on enrolment, if that place is a place of duty and the member is not authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense to their place of duty

CountDC said:
I am trying to establish 100% if a mbr enrolled and posted with move of HG&E restricted is entitled to PLD.
Once again I could quote several passages to this effect which all answer your question. Restricted is removed once you secure lodgings/accomodations at the new location.

As I said before, you have all the refs, they spell it out very clearly making hard to figure out what it is you are looking for. Other threads on the issue also provide insight into PLD entitlements. It therefore makes it obvious that you were provided information which you disagree with, and that is what you need to provide if you want appropriate feedback.

hmmm - guess I wasn't as clear as I thought so maybe this will help:

Further info:

I am attempting to resolve an issue where mbr has been informed they are not entitled to PLD. Although Ref A and B does support PLD entitlement I have been around too long to assume that is the end of it.  There may have been an amendment or CANFORGEN or someother forsaken ruling released over ruling this that I have missed but someone else has.

Ref C may come into play here yet - have to see what answers some give.

Then all I can tell you is the CBI, if the mbr meets the criteria then there it is, to be handled in the same way as anything else in the military.

Hi folks,

I was hoping someone would be able to provide some insight regarding post living differential.  I have spent the last hour or so searching on this website, as well as looking through various administrative orders.  I believe the most current instructions regarding PLD are found in CBI 205.45 (p. 13 of the pdf file), which I will refer to in this post.

The reason I am looking for clarification is because I have been told two different things regarding whether or not I am eligible for PLD.  I am an OCdt in my first year of university in Halifax, and living in a single room in residence.  I was told by an RMS Clerk at the base that because I am living in an area in which PLD is in effect, I am eligible for it.  However, my ULO has told me that because I am living in residence, I am ineligible for it.  He told me that if I were to move into an apartment building or house next door or just across the street from where I am now, I could be granted PLD.

As I understand it, according to CBI 205.45, as long as a member of the regular force is living in a PLDA, they are eligible for PLD other than in the case of the following exceptions:

205.45(9) (Not entitled) A member is not entitled to the PLD if:
(a) their principal residence is located at an isolated post as defined in CBI 205.40 (Isolation Allowance); or
(b) the monthly PLD rate is $50 or less.

Now, the PLD of Halifax is quite a bit larger than $50, and it is not an isolated post, so I don't think that I fall under either of those exceptions.

The other exception I ran into (I don't believe that it's in CBI 205.45, although I could have missed it) I found on the page for the PLD Application Form, which states:

QR&O 205.45 definition of ''principal residence''. No entitlement to PLD if principal residence is a single quarter.

I assume that CBI 205.45 is simply the replacement of QR&O 205.45, however perhaps the confusion involves the definition of a single quarter.  I didn't see it defined in the instructions, but I am wondering why, if it turns out that my ULO is correct, that a room in residence (which is essentially an apartment building) does not qualify for PLD, but an apartment in a private complex in the same area would.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

------------------------------------

I want to apologize for the long post, although I am sure that it is preferred to a single line post consisting of "My ULO says I cant get PLD, what gives?"

Back