• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things CF Firefighter (merged)

I dont see any situation where firefighters would be deployed domestically for USAR unless a major USAR team was hit in the disaster. The Trenton and Comox USAR teams are recce and surface rescue. In no way could we replace a HUSAR team. The only reason why were not considered light is because light teams have K9 capabilities which we dont. The other USAR teams that I have had the pleasure of working with are the best at what they do. In no way could we replace them. The experience and training they have puts them FAR ahead of any of us.

There is alot of moving pieces to get USAR deployed and I have yet to see it work properly.

There was a thing that came down from Ottawa saying they wanted every member of Trenton and Comox USAR capable. Then when they get posted out, the plan was for them to pass the knowledge onto their new halls. Obviously there are some major flaws in that.

ff149 said:
I've also seen courses where they leave it up to the CM to decide. Usually that is for people going to Cold Lake.

Im assuming then, that if I were wanting to go to Cold Lake, the chances are high? Is there a virus in Cold Lake? Zombies? LOL...I know it isn't the most desirable posting, but it can't be THAT bad...

Scuba_Dave said:
Im assuming then, that if I were wanting to go to Cold Lake, the chances are high? Is there a virus in Cold Lake? Zombies? LOL...I know it isn't the most desirable posting, but it can't be THAT bad...

18 pages of information and discussion here,

CFB Cold Lake Thread- Merged 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/3933.0
18 pages.

Scuba_Dave said:

If you wanted to go to cold lake and passed the screening you will most likely go. I cant speak for others but I dont have any desire to go to cold lake because its expensive to live in, its isolated, its the furthest possible posting for me away from my family and I am a city boy so country living isn't my thing. I know people who love it up there, I also know people who cant wait to get out.

I keep hearing of this high cost of living thing up there. We had friends of the family (Not military) living in Bonnyville, they said it's quite comparable to other cities. And after reading the Cold Lake thread, in some aspects it seems a lot cheaper than Victoria currently is lol. Im paying $1200 a month for a 2 bedroom basement suite right now that we somehow managed to jam myself and 2 kids into. Plus we are kind of urban rednecks as it is. Hunting, fishing, all that is already in our lives. Im more worried about the cold personally lol

Well, things are looking up! Cant remember if I mentioned it prior to this but passed the fitness test a while ago, and just got an email from the boss that I have my BPSO interview 17 Feb 17!

Anyone currently applying for Firefighter ? Curious if anyone's had a PLAR completed and how long it took. Also, does anyone know if the selections start in April?  I'm really hoping to get an offer for 2018/2019.

Update,  made the competition list. Has anyone else applied or gotten an offer yet ?

Seanadams said:
Update,  made the competition list. Has anyone else applied or gotten an offer yet ?

Congrats. The trades hurting so the more people the better.

Any update on the trad Getting spec? Why are snr members jumping out every year? With a trade that promotes 10+ WO every year out of 50 ...  is the trade red/green ? Really interested in joining, what's the typical posting length? Any chance on getting to see the world with takings?  What's the call volume and training like?

Look forward to your reply
Stay safe

Kmanning said:
Any update on the trad Getting spec? Why are snr members jumping out every year? With a trade that promotes 10+ WO every year out of 50 ...  is the trade red/green ? Really interested in joining, what's the typical posting length? Any chance on getting to see the world with takings?  What's the call volume and training like?

Look forward to your reply
Stay safe

When I left the trade about a year ago there was no prospect of spec pay. This is why Snr and Jr members are leaving. Why make 40k a year when you can go civi side and make 80.

The trade was red and very red when I left. Some halls were even down to three crews because there wasn’t enough manning for 4.

Posting lengths vary but I stayed in Trenton for 9 years so take that as you may.

As for tastings, there isn’t much. You can goto Alert or Inuvik but that’s really about it. If you get on the USAR team you can deploy with DART but those deployments are not very common.

The call volume is that of a small town because really that’s what you are. I’ve had 4 real fires in my time. More medical calls then I can count tho.

The training really is the best part. When I left the trade I have pretty much every seal you can think of. I was probably the most qualified but least experienced firefighter and that’s what the trade kindove does. Trains you for everything and just keeps pounding the training into you so if one day you get a call, the training kicks in.

My old Fire Chief was a retired WO with the CF as a firefighter. He confirms that the training received in the CF is second to none. A lot of guys who end up retiring usually land a gig as a Fire Chief civilian side with ease.

Inspir said:
A lot of guys who end up retiring usually land a gig as a Fire Chief civilian side with ease.

Nice. Our fire chief made $252,356.74 ( and $4,219.33 in benefits ) last year. Made even more the year before.

It's too bad we didn't properly use the firefighters when we had them on ships; never took advantage of any of the high angle rescue or other skill sets that would be useful for getting a casualty out of some of the tough spaces (or down from the mast).  It would have been easy enough to sort out some of their major complaints and let them do some stuff while we were alongside to keep their certs current.

Some of those guys had as much/more sea time as 'hard sea' trades, and now that we've phased out the hull techs into a combined trade, think we'll lose a lot of that expertise.

Is anyone at the CFFA currently or have gotten word on when they are supposed to report to finish their ql3?
or anyone waiting to go to Borden to start their fire training heard anything?

Back