• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AK47 vs. C7 or M16

• Thread starter Thread starter Pugnacious
  • Start date Start date

Which is better? The M16 rifle or the AK47?

• M16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AK47

• C7

• AK74

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
and even the cleanest C7 will jam for unexplainable reasons

I've seen a C7 have a stoppage, but never for inexplicable reasons. If you take care of it, the C7 WILL fire.

The only problem I see behind adopting it here would be from a political stand point.

There's that, and we'd be the NATO country use 5.45mm ammo and mags among other things. And besides, why fix what isn't broken? The C7 is fine and the C7A2 is better, even if it isn't perfect.

That 'AK' in question was the Dutch MN-1 which did the SARP trails. Its was a Dutch manufactured Galil rifle. Although I have never seen a Dutch made Galil, I have seen the South African version in SA (LM4), shot the Israeli 5.56mm and 7.62mm versions, and the Finnish M62 also.

At the end of the day, the Galil is just a 5.56mm AK with a few mods. Early Galil prototypes were built on Finnish Valmet recievers.

As for the Diemaco C7, the M16 FOW have been in service for almost 40 yrs and been around since the 1950s. Problems in the Viet Nam era were propelleant related. Now all these years later the M16 FOW is the only true combat proven rifle in 5.56mm. Its bugs are worked out, and it can only get better with upgrades and different versions. I am fully confident to carry any version of this weapon anywhere.

M16A1s still in service in Australia are all pre 1970 purchase/lend lease. Sure the finish is worn, some even the serial numbers are hard to read, but after being around with the ADF since the mid 1960s, they are like an old Timex, which keep on ticking.

Many Colt A1's, GM A1's and early marked XM16E1s and AR15s (some 5 number digits and with out the ridge around the mag release) are still around, some still with the pre 1968 butts, 3 pronged flash suppressors, and chrome carriers and bolts. All however have A1 uppers with the fwd assist 'tear drop' type.

However as time draws on, these 4500 rifles will adventually meet the smelter, with some kept for historical/heritage purposes.

The new family of the 7.62mm SR25, M4's of Bushmaster and Colt manufacture are now common in SF units, but the rest of us are stuck with the ADI locally made F88 FOW for now.

Cheers,

Wes

In the local paper to day they were showing the latest MP7 at the Police Chiefs Convention.
Any info on the MP7 Wes?

Sorry Nick, I am not too much 'in the know' on that wpn.

Cheers,

Wes

It's a H.K's new updated version of the MP5.
They showed it in the Paper.

I'll search and send the details.

MP-7 is HK's newest PDW -  ::)  Idiotic calibre (4.6)  like the FN P90.

Nothing we need.

Sorry guys the AR family has nothing wrong with it - and the AK platform is certainly a trip in the wrong direction.

I feel plenty well armed with my C8A2/SFW over here in Afghanistan...

I've seen a C7 have a stoppage, but never for inexplicable reasons. If you take care of it, the C7 WILL fire.

Ghost, even though I'm a Jimmy, I hope you're not suggesting that I don't take care of my weapon! ;)

Not at all, my friend!! But it is possible that you didn't really love your weapon, and that could have been the cause of our stoppages. ;D

Months ago I started this thread out of total inoccence, and ignorance about the subject, and now that I have had a chance to peek around the web on this topic, I have to say I'm glad that people here are keeping things way more 'civil' then at the other sites I have found.

All I know is I'll be happy to use what ever our Army issues me.
Besides I'm more worried about some of our politicans then our weapons. ;)

Could be worse I hear the British SA80 is a real 'dust jammy' nightmare, but that's another subject.

Also... Wes I want to sign up for your book club. ;D

Cheers!
P.

I have to say I'm glad that people here are keeping things way more 'civil' then at the other sites I have found.

I'll drink to that!

Ghost -> My weapons name is Lucy  ;D, how's that for love!

PS - Here is an example of poor love towards a C7...

I was safety staff on a range not too long ago. A certain individual (rank and gender omitted here) proceeded to raise themselves from the kneeling by using the muzzle of their weapon then proceeded to take aim with a muzzle full of grass and dirt!

That would have been an explainable stopage!

The RSO caught the person in time.

If you take this scenario with an AK-47, the potential damage (in theory) should have been less severe. Even more so with the AK-74 (larger and open concept muzzle flash).

Like I said before, I'm no weapons tech or expert - just my personal uneducated views.

The outcome would have been the same regardless of the weapon,a plugged muzzle is never a good thing.I don't understand peoples fascination with the AK series,they are overrated pieces of crap that do not deserve their reputation.

Ditto to MG34.

Take it from the Infanteers.

MG34 and I amongst others have a vast weapons collection - strangely neither of us feel unarmed with the C7/C8 series.

One of our guys did 600rds in a few min out of his C8SFW full of Afghan dust....

Result - flawless 20 mags...

Gee I guess the weapon has problems eh?

Kevin wrote:
"MG34 and I amongst others have a vast weapons collection - strangely neither of us feel unarmed with the C7/C8 series."

Sort of related...in Canada just how does one have a "vast weapons collection", from what I have read on the government firearms site NO body can have an AK, not to mention a long list of  juicy "collectables" here in Canada. 
http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/en/owners_users/fact_sheets/r&p.asp

If there is a legal way around this please let me know, as I'm currently arguing with them right now over a few I'd like to collect. I'm assuming here that you are in Canada.

Also I have read quite a few reports on the AK, and as one weapon tech' I read mentioned... 10 million AK's can't be wrong.

Cheers!
P.

Its called grandfathering. In other words they had them before all these inane laws came into effect and were permitted to retain them.

I don't think this thread is about feeling unarmed with our issued weapons. Don't get me wrong, I find the C7 an extremely fine piece of kit. I believe that this is a great thread about the pros and cons of both weapons.

I for one have gained a wealth of information and insight into the topic.

Bang on with the Grandfathering clause,in other words if you did not own a firearm in the class of the AK before 1994 you cannot purchase one now.Thank you Liberal government for that one. I have 2 AKs and an RPK,but hardly shoot them anymore they are basically my "fun guns" in other words they turn live rounds into empty casings but don't hit squat.I shoot my AR s almost weekly,and acually get some good training in with reliable operation and acuraccy all rolled into one package.AK for play,AR for serious work.

Ahhhh Ok grandfather clause.
Now I am beyond jealous.    

I have been saving up for a nice Armalite with an Elcan site for practice, but now I find out that even after the safety courses and such I'll still have a transport problem too and from the range.  As the transport permit takes a very very  long time to be issued where I live (our range has no storage).

Stupid Liberals. >:(

Also this aft' I just finished reading the test report and or overview on the AK family, and all the diffrent types etc,
and a neat section on the M16 family in Peter G. Kokalis's book 'Weapon Tests and Evaluations' from the best of Soldier Of Fortune. ISBN: 1-58160-122-0.  Pretty interesting stuff.

Cheers!
P.

My father has the full Vietnam set SKS, AK-47, M-14, and M-16. I like shooting them all and think they all shoot fine. My only real problem with the AR family is the fact that you can not fit them with a folding stock. I belive that the C-7 is a great infantry weapon, but as a universal all trades weapon the straight through layout will always hamper it.

Personaly I am a fan of the ruger mini-14 as it is lite, reliable and compact enough to stay out of my way. And it just feels like a rifle should feel.

Now I am curios what makes the XM-8 a POS? I keep hearing people bash it but what is "really" wrong with the rifle?

I belive that the C-7 is a great infantry weapon, but as a universal all trades weapon the straight through layout will always hamper it.

Gunnerlove I am really curious about this statement. Can you explain what you mean? I have had never any problem using the C7/C8 in the army or naval enviroment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back