• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

airforce reserve recruiting question

• Thread starter Thread starter corporal-cam
  • Start date Start date
C

corporal-cam

Hi,
I just turned 16 and I was talking to a friend about the air reserves and he said that in the air reserves in addition to working the maditory parade nights you can also elect to work additional nights if you want to. Is this true? I am wondering this because in the general recruiting forum they said no, but that might just of been for the army reserves since they cant really send you out every night where as if I were a clerk in the air reserves I could do filing and stuff like that pretty much any time.
Thanks for your time,
Cam

For the air reserves (as far as I've looked into it) for most positions require you to be free from committments for a year (inclusive of school etc) because of the training required since you are working side by side w/ reg force personnel. For support trades I'm not sure on, and I'm sure someone will quickly answer this question.
In terms of extra nights, that I wouldn't bet on. Simply too much money with too few a budget.

The ARAF works completely different from that of the Militia.  You don't parade one night a week and a weekend a month.  You augment the RegF in their duties.  Most PRes in the Airforce work at least 12 Class A days a month or are on a Class B contract.  They will usually fill a slot in an active squadron/Wing.

Darn, so close in my answer.  :-[
Thanks for the clarifaction :)

Thnaks to both of you for your answers, but I have another question, I don't know if this makes me sound dumb or anything but, what's a class A day and a class b contract?
Thanks,
Cam

In the most basic terms, Class A you sign pay sheets everyday since it's part time and Class B/C is full time on a contract of specified length during which you're not req to sign pay sheets everyday.

Ok, I think I get it, now I can look kind of informed when I go see the recruiter on Monday  8)
Thanks everyone.

I am a university student that is considering joining the air reserve aswell. I have looked all over this site for air reserve related recruiting information. I know that process is the same as the army res but, I would like to know what the difference between the army and air reserve in terms of day to day activities. I haven't gone down to the recruiting centre because I don't want to commit to anything yet. I would also like to know, based on some of the last responses, if I will have enough time to do schoolwork if I am in the air reserves?

P.s This is my first post on this website (or any forum for that matter), so would like to know if there is anything wrong with this post. I have been reading posts for 9 months and I don't want to liik like an dumbass.

I switched elements three years ago, from Army to Air.  One thing I can tell you, and this is only because I have experienced this, I'm not saying its the way all round because I really don't know if it is.  I can tell you that since switching to Air I have gone on every course I have ever wanted and more.  I never received near the training in the Army, and I believe this was due to the budget being tighter in the Army.  I'm not knocking the Army in any way, I really enjoyed my time and am thankful for the training and experience I did receive.  I simply moved on because I wanted to move into a new trade and receive more training and courses on an ongoing basis.  I also put in a heck of a lot more Class B time with Air (basically anytime I want a Class B contract they will find work for me).

Based on my own experience (albeit limited) in exploring various elements to join part-time, both the Air Reserve and the Naval Reserve demand a much greater time commitment overall - particularly on the training side.   If you're a working professional, it's nearly impossible to qualify for an MOC in either element since they want you to take several months off at a time. (either that or you're a severely underemployed professional   ;))   It's former regular force personnel who can find slots most readily in the Air Rerserve - especially on the air crew side although Zoomie or Inch can probably fill us in most accurately on that MOC).   The Militia is far more flexible about training now that it has adopted a modularized approach which allows training to take place in two week blocks. (mind you it may take years to get qualified but it's never a perfect world).   The only other issue is actually finding an Air Reserve unit to join   - and if there is one - finding a job opportunity that fits.   The Air Reserve is a much smaller organization than the Militia (I think it's about 4,000 strong) and consequently more competitive. Cheers, mdh

Reserve pilots are 99% retired Reg force pilots. It's extremely rare to have a reserve pilot trained from scratch. There are exceptions of course, 400, 438 are reserve TacHel Sqns.  There are reg force positions, but the rest of the Sqn is mostly reservists. They will take guys from scratch and train them on a Jet Ranger and then on the Griffon. I'm not sure the requirements but it tends to be civvy helo pilots with at least a commercial helicopter license. Once they're trained, I think they're limited to those Sqns, I'm pretty sure they don't let them just transfer to the reg force, if they do they'll send them to Moose Jaw just like everyone else. That cuts down on the clowns looking for the easy way to get their wings.  If there are reserve flight engineers, they're retired reg force, you have to be a technician before you can apply to be an FE. As for the other aircrew, again, probably retired reg force, extremely rare to have a reservist trained from scratch for an aircrew position since aircrew courses tend to be in the range of 6-12 months in length.

Cheers

From the Air Reserve Recruiting Site:

"In some cases, the military will grant equivalency credit for civilian training that individuals may have taken on their own.  Based on an assessment of certified qualifications, a candidate could be granted a provisional military occupation and would only be required to complete a portion of the military training before being fully employable.  An example of this is the Skilled Pilot Entry Plan, where an applicant with a minimum of 500 hours logged flying time and an IFR rating in either fixed-wing multi-engine aircraft or helicopter could be considered for enrolment in the pilot occupation."

What's a mere 500 hours of helo time (preferably turbine)? If you haven't got the cash - ask your parents. ;D

I know there is an air reserve unit unit here in North bay (I have been to the official website, it doesn't tell me much), but for the amount of training that is required for a particular MOC, as a full time university student, will I have the time to get the required training between my classes or will I be doing nothing in the unit waiting for training?

Hi Vangemeren,

I think the problem you'll find is that the Air Reserve doesn't really make allowances for students.  Because you are supposed to train up to regular force standards (the so-called Total Force concept), you'll need to attend training whenever it suits the reserve.  When I enquired a couple of years ago, training for one occupation started in February and ran until spring (not exactly conducive to school or a job).

Here is another quote from the Air Reserve site:

"Air Reserve Training Standards

Members of the Air Reserve work alongside their regular force counterparts across the spectrum of Air Force activities.  Whether regular or reserve, people's lives depend on the member's ability to do the job and do it well.  For that reason, Air Reservists are trained to the same standards as the Regular Force.  This means that the training an Air Reservist undergoes can be quite lengthy and in many cases cannot be broken into modular sections.  If you decide to join the Air Reserve, you must be willing to make yourself available for training so that you can become an effective part of the Air Force Team."

Under these circumstances I'm not sure why the Air Force even bothers with a reserve force but that's just me. You're best to talk to one of their recruiters. Now on the other hand if you're interested in the Army Reserve, may I suggest the Infantry Reserve... >:D

I hope this does not offend anybody:

I am a military brat. My dad is a purple trade in the airforce. I have an Idea of what the infantry is like and that was the reason why I wanted to join the air reserve. It may sound stupid but I want to do my part but not in the infantry. At the same time looking at air reserve units I looked at army reserve units here in North Bay. I decided that if I wasn't going into the air reserve that I would look inquiring about 26 service battalion.

This forum had been very helpful and I would like to thank all the people who contributed.

No offence taken, the Service Battalion is a good option and I think you'll find them more flexible when it comes to training, good luck, mdh

Back