• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

aircraft technician

M

mamah_187

Sup,

I know there are numerous jobs that deal with CF-18‘s within our military. Does anyone know which positions actually get rides inside of them?

Basically, I want to know who else flys in these jets other than the pilots.

And thats the career I want to go after.... :evil:

Peace,
-Dan

The only trade that will guarantee you a ride in a CF-188B (two seater F-18) is Pilot. Any other trade has a chance, but based on good luck and availability. If you are interested in maintaining the Hornets, then I suggest you look into the AVN Tech trade. Again, it will take luck in being posted to the Hornet squadron, if that‘s what you want to do.
I‘ve been a pilot in the CF for going on 5 years now and I have never strapped myself into an F-18, albeit the desire just isn‘t there.

So my advice to you - go to your local CFRC and enquire about the AVN Tech MOC. Good luck. :)

Thanks....I found 4 different ones....which one of these is it?

Aerospace Telecommunications and Information Systems Technician

Aircraft Structures Technician

Aviation Systems Technician

Avionics Systems Technician

Thanks,
-Dan

Structures and Systems are the place to be if you want to work on the planes.

The first one (ATIS tech) is more like IT work (ie computer networking, etc).

Thanks alot....

So the bottom 3 are the ones i want?

I‘m telling you, all I want is the profession that will MOST likely get a ride in one of these things.

Are they all that closely related?

Peace,
-Dan

IF you are selected for one of the 3 chosen MOC to which you are inferring, AND you are posted to either Cold Lake or Bagotville - THEN you may have a pretty good chance at getting a ride. No promises...

Thanks alot man....

By the way, what are you flying?

Is there anyway I could increase my chances of being accepted to a fighter squadron? More so, in Cold Lake? (I live in Edmonton, and I want to stay in province)

Thanks,
-Dan

Dan,
Can‘t say about now, but they used to sit the course in the room by final course standings. The postings were on the board and the top student had his pick. Once he picked, it came off the board. So it went, through 2nd, 3rd place etc, til the last place student got the posting that was left.
Morale: Top your course and you‘ll probably get to pick where you go.

Are you a technician? how do you know this?

This happens at the end of your QL3‘s?

Thanks,
-Dan

I remustered to MOC 531 Safety Systems (no longer a trade) in ‘79. That‘s how they did it at the end of my 3‘s in Borden.

LOL, they have gone away from that now, I went AVS in 96 and got my choice of Greenwood, I think it depends on what everyone else  on your course is asking for, they do try to accommodate you but if ever one wants the same posting you really could go anywhere.

AVS is a good trade if your good at math and electronic ( we get paid for what we know not what we do)
AVN is a good job if you hate math and electronics (wash there hands before they piss)
ACS is a good trade if you enjoy welding painting and bashing metal

All three trade work on the A/C and may get a chance to fly on the F/18 just depends what they think on if the pilots like you and if you are good at your job.

NO ONE RIDES FOR FREE

Go Avn Tech and then ask to go to Cold Lake.  You will get to go in the back seat of an F18 sooner or later. Especially if you are a good tech.

If you are basing your MOC choices on the possibility of getting a ride on an F-18, you may have a lond and dissapointing career !  Go AVN, do 6 years and remuster to Flight engineer ( you get to fly on CP-140, CC-130, CH-146 and CH-149) or remuster to AESOp ( my MOC) and you get to fly on CH-124 sea kings , CP-140's and soon, CH-148 Cyclone.

Anyways, good luck, whatever you do

LOL I have a comment/question

In my interview for Aerospace engineering, the last question they asked me is: " Do U think u well get any flight time as an AERE?" ??? it seemed to me like a trick question. Till this point I am intrigued what the "right answer" for that question was. Can anyone help me out?  ;D

Only time i've seen AERE fly is to go on TD, they don't go flying like Tech's do the odd time to trouble shoot, come to think of it they don't step foot on the A/C much at all.

Back