• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Airborne Infantry Questions

Dizzyboxing

Inactive
Reaction score
Long story short, I was living in the U.S. From the time I was 2-18 and set up to enlist in the U.S. Army as an 11b infantryman with and airborne option in my contract until I found out my mom who I was living with in the U.S. Had never filed for citizenship for me the whole 16 years I lived there so short after graduating highschool I moved back up to Canada (where I am a citizen) and have been working random jobs for the past month or so but am already anxious to start out on a career path I would enjoy instead of working at a dead end job just to pay bills. So my question to you guys; What's the Canadian military equivalent to an airborne infantry solider? All I can find is options for jump training later down the road. Is that really the only way or is there a way to jump into it? (Pun intended)

My dad has been in the Canadian Navy for 27 years and has recruiter friends but I don't want to go into a meeting with one not knowing some basics first.

If it's relevant I'm currently 19, living in Victoria BC and in good physical shape.

Jump training later down the road is basically it, unfortunately for you Canada has no dedicated Airborne Regiments, any more. Instead we have Jump company's in each of the infantry regiments 3rd battalion (3 VP, 3 RCR, 3rd battalion of the Vandoo's) someone on the forums who has been in those units could give more info then me but you'll need to get posted to one of those units to get Jump qualifications.

MilEME09 said:
but you'll need to get posted to one of those units to get Jump qualifications.
You do not have to be in a third battalion to get a jump course.

Dizzyboxing, the Canadian equivalent to a Airborne Infantry Soldier is a Airborne Infantry Soldier. As for getting a spot for the jump couse in your contract, the US Army does that, the Canadian Forces does not.

As mentioned above by MilEME09, the Canadian Army only has 3 Regular Force Infantry Jump Companies. You do not get a choice as to which battalion you go to; some point during your DP1 Infantry course you will be told where you are headed.

If you get into a third battalion(Light), you may get sent straight into a jump coy and get your course quickly. OR, you may need to wait awhile to get the course and moved to the jump coy - if you even get that opportunity. As well, there are other units in the Canadian Forces that have a jump tasking/role.

If you are posted to a 1st or 2nd battalion(Mechanized) there is still the opportunity to get the course. You may get the course quickly, or years after getting into the battalion or not at all.

You may get somewhat of a choice.  During my DP1, we were all being posted to Edmonton.  We could submit a memo for our preference of 1 or 3 PPCLI.  I think everyone went where they indicated. But after a few months, most of us in the 3rd were attach posted to the 1st Battalion for TF 3-09.  After we returned from Afghanistan, we were sent back to the 3rd.

The jump company rotates on a regular basis. They will make sure that you jump regularly to avoid skill fade after you are qualified, but your primary role is still light infantry.

Jump companies do not rotate on a regular basis.  I know 3 PPCLI's company has rotated a few times due to various reasons, but this was irregular.  However, if posted to a Light Battalion, you will most likely get into a jump position if that is your goal - the rotation of personnel within these sub-units makes it highly likely.

Back