• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force support for Reserve Training

roxie.roller

Inactive
Reaction score
Alcon,

Just wondering if anyone has gone through the process of obtaining Air Force support for Reserve training.  I'm considering requesting the use of a C-130 to haul us, our truck and a boat up north.  Anyone ever gone through this process?

Cheers.

There's an annual call letter sent out through the chain of command where units submit their RFEs; those are consolidated, prioritized, and matched against available platforms.  So, in Sept 2013 you'll be asked for your requirements for 01 Apr 14-31 Mar 15.

For your info, you do not specify the aircraft type you want; you specify the effect desired.  It may be, for example, that there are other requirements in parallel with yours that would make it more sensible to lift using a C-17; or the Chinooks may require certain types of training that they can meet by leveraging your requirement, or, more likely, other requests will take priority and you'll be  given a no-fill.

dapaterson,

Thank you for your rapid reply.  I had no idea that the RFE was submitted so far in advance.  That certainly gives me more than enough time to plan this training event!

The reason I was thinking C-130 was largely due to airfield restrictions at the sites I was looking at and cargo capacity of the aircraft.  Of course, I'm sure that will all be detailed in the request and the AF will make the final decision... or, like you say, simply respond with a no fill. 

I've been on the receiving end of some success in the past, (two CH-146's for a Militia Ex with NSaskR many years ago), so I'll see what I can do to replicate that luck!  I'm interested in hearing from others who may have some more recent experience gaining airlift support for Reserve exercises.  Any pointers?

When all the stars line up, it is very possible and can happen.

From 2004:
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/news-nouvelles/story-reportage-eng.asp?id=195

Air and sea elements participate
Designed to confirm basic understanding and execution of defensive battle task standards, the exercise benefited from the participation of air and sea elements. Six CH-146 Griffon helicopters, two CH-124 Sea King Helicopters, one CP-140 Aurora aircraft and two Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDV) presented unique training opportunities and a greater sense of realism.

From 2012:

http://www.thevanguard.ca/News/2012-04-09/article-2950439/Military-training-exercise,-April-13---15/1

In addition to army reserve units, two CH-124 Sea King Helicopters and air detachment personnel from 423 Maritime Helicopter Squadron, Shearwater, two CH-146 Griffon Helicopters, and air detachment personnel from 403 Helicopter Operational training squadron will also participate.

A PM with detailed information will be inbound shortly.

dapaterson said:
There's an annual call letter sent out through the chain of command where units submit their RFEs; those are consolidated, prioritized, and matched against available platforms.  So, in Sept 2013 you'll be asked for your requirements for 01 Apr 14-31 Mar 15.

RFEs (Requests for Effect - silly, vague name) can be submitted at any time, actually.

dapaterson said:
For your info, you do not specify the aircraft type you want; you specify the effect desired.  It may be, for example, that there are other requirements in parallel with yours that would make it more sensible to lift using a C-17; or the Chinooks may require certain types of training that they can meet by leveraging your requirement, or, more likely, other requests will take priority and you'll be  given a no-fill.

Generally, but people often know what they need.

And don't anybody even think of requesting Chinooks until we tell you to. "The" Chinooks are not even in Canada yet.

Back