• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force major charged in firearms bust in Kingston, Petawawa

Nope. A full inventory of items to be moved is done before the packing phase.

Maybe the driver/operator could be co-charged.
You're not allowed to transport ammunition or firearms when you move. Moving Company won't assume the liability.

You have to secure your own means to move them. But only someone who owned firearms and had to move a few times would know that

Devils advocate here.

Couldn't the Major in question have a possible out in that he was not in control of the property during the whole move.

I'm not a lawyer, but since the chain of possession is out of his control, it leads to enough reasonable doubt that he knew it was all there.

I personally can see this being plead down or even totally squashed depending on how much 'firepower' he hires.

Pun intended.

I'm not saying he's innocent. Just saying the threshold between reasonable doubt and found guilty can be pretty narrow.

I'll also be devils advocate. This could also all just be some sort of paperwork error coupled with some overzealous police work.... because we've never seen malicious prosecution for firearms related offences in this Country before 🙄

I know someone who ran in to issues with CBSA not with firearms but with animal importation. They are a horse owner and they bought a horse in the US and were transporting it back to Canada. Paper wasn't completed correctly and bam.... they are in Court facing $100k+ fines.

Luckily, judges generally apply more common sense when applying the law.

You're not allowed to transport ammunition or firearms when you move. Moving Company won't assume the liability.

You have to secure your own means to move them. But only someone who owned firearms and had to move a few times would know that

Guess things have changed since I moved from Gander to Gagetown in '92. The moving company did take a weapon. And then lost the thing (or stole it).

Guess things have changed since I moved from Gander to Gagetown in '92. The moving company did take a weapon. And then lost the thing (or stole it).
It says right in the contract, no firearms or ammunition.

With the current Govt we have, if I was a holder of an RPAL and had a collection this guy had, I would be taking extreme measures to ensure I wouldn't fall foul of our overzealous Federal Bureaucracy.

With this guy's collection, I would have sought the services of a reputable bonded courier to transport this stuff. I wouldn't have even bothered with the ammunition, it would be cheaper and better to simply sell it.

This guy is probably just guilty of being ignorant and he is going to end up spending a bucket load of money in Court as a result.

It says right in the contract, no firearms or ammunition.

With the current Govt we have, if I was a holder of an RPAL and had a collection this guy had, I would be taking extreme measures to ensure I wouldn't fall foul of our overzealous Federal Bureaucracy.
Yup
With this guy's collection, I would have sought the services of a reputable bonded courier to transport this stuff. I wouldn't have even bothered with the ammunition, it would be cheaper and better to simply sell it.
Depending on the ammo, I suspect it was much cheaper down here than in Canada.
As well moving F&E he would be tax exempt from import. When I moved down here, I brought a lot of ammo (cause I'm a hoarder like that).

This guy is probably just guilty of being ignorant and he is going to end up spending a bucket load of money in Court as a result.
As much as I want to give fellow gun owners the benefit of the doubt, I suspect he knew that the firearms he had were no longer legal in Canada.

Perhaps, but also perhaps arrogant. Without evidence, I speculate he thought he could do this and get away with it.....
I suspect you are correct in that assumption.
Admittedly I sympathize with him, and other Canadian gun owners who have large collections that used to be entirely legal to own and enjoy at the range - and now facing a tyrannic government that has decided on a whim that one's collection is now prohibited.
The fact it can be done to firearms, means it can just as easily be done to vehicles, or homes...

I know of one collector who has a particularly large (and valuable) gun collection that has recently emigrated to the US to avoid having his collection rendered valueless and to avoid any more of the constant legal harassment from Federal Government.
Smart move.

I wouldn't even bother with owning a pistol for sport shooting. Better to just not be on the Gestapo's database. 😄

Maybe it does now, but it was accepted then.

A lot of things were accepted then, like smoking indoors 😄

That was also 30 years ago. So basically irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

I know of one collector who has a particularly large (and valuable) gun collection that has recently emigrated to the US to avoid having his collection rendered valueless and to avoid any more of the constant legal harassment from the Federal Government.

I'm trying to convince the wife to do that in the next couple years... Looking at Texas and Florida.

But it's not for the sake of my rifle collection. I'll happily sell it all off and just rebuild in the States.

I'll also be devils advocate. This could also all just be some sort of paperwork error coupled with some overzealous police work.... because we've never seen malicious prosecution for firearms related offences in this Country before 🙄

I know someone who ran in to issues with CBSA not with firearms but with animal importation. They are a horse owner and they bought a horse in the US and were transporting it back to Canada. Paper wasn't completed correctly and bam.... they are in Court facing $100k+ fines.

Luckily, judges generally apply more common sense when applying the law.

Sadly, this is possible and when it happens a lot of political mileage is obtained.

Arrogant officers in the CAF? No, no thst doesn't happen, clearly the he forgot to put a 10 instead of a 1 on his paperwork for declaration.
Nice cheap shot. If I had a nickel for every slack ass troop who mouthed off about Officers, I could retire right now!

Maybe he just didn't do the paperwork correctly and didn't put the necessary time in to it? And we all know BGRS is a beacon of impeccable service delivery! Or that OUTCAN postings are always seamless transitions 😄

I just did a Cost Move myself, albeit in the private sector. I was expected to hit the ground running in the new job and the service I got was a lot better than anything BGRS gave me.... Things still fell through the cracks because... there are only 24 hrs in a day and when you're trying to stuff 20lbs of shit in to a 5lb bag, there is seepage.

Not that it's an excuse but if I were this person, I would just pay people to make problems go away.

I'm trying to convince the wife to do that in the next couple years... Looking at Texas and Florida.

But it's not for the sake of my rifle collection. I'll happily sell it all off and just rebuild in the States.

I know many people with the same thought process.

If anything they can argue this is a win for our current gun laws. The items were illegal, and they got caught.

That being said 30 years ago none of this would have been illegal and I doubt any of these were intended for usage in a crime (other than the possession of them).
Despite their status under the Firearms Act, either now or 30 years ago, the charges announced to date are all smuggling related. Clearly, he failed to declare the majority of his cache. The ARs and handguns would have had to be registered in advance, even 30 years ago.

There are a lot more opportunities down in the good ole USA. I am on a two year commitment here... once that's up, I'm going to see where the wind takes me. You can also make more money in the US, a lot more.

There are a lot more opportunities down in the good ole USA. I am on a two year commitment here... once that's up, I'm going to see where the wind takes me. You can also make more money in the US, a lot more.

You don't have to convince me. It's the Maritime wife who has trouble leaving the maritimes that's holding us back lol.

If I were single I would disappeared a long time ago lol.

You don't have to convince me. It's the Maritime wife who has trouble leaving the maritimes that's holding us back lol.

If I were single I would disappeared a long time ago lol.
I know the feeling. Canadians seem to like sticking close to home. My wife has become a lot more adventurous since she met me, I will give her that.

Years ago a CSIS member working down here with the USG bought a KAC Mk23 Suppressor for his handgun, I tried to explain to him that while it was legal for him to buy - it wasn’t going to be legal to return to Canada with (it was I was at KAC and he was buying with a MIl/LE discount). I have no idea what he did with it. I have suspicions, but…
KNAC111672-FDE_3_HR__55471.jpg
Do you think he "concealed" it to get across the boarder?

Back