• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force Forage Cap

Delicron said:
I've tried looking for examples of this through google and such, but it seems most articles kinda lump together the wedge, the Forage Cap, and the Peak cap as the same item.  Are these all very similar?  Because from reading this so far, there seem to be some vast differences.  Does anyone have a definitive link that can help sort this out for me?

This is the  peak cap, i also referred to it as a forage cap before I was correct.

Thanks Vern and Brian_K!  :salute:

Cleared that right up for me.  There was a little disconnect on the naming of the Forage cap and Peak Cap for me so that works nicely!

Delicron said:
I've tried looking for examples of this through google and such, but it seems most articles kinda lump together the wedge, the Forage Cap, and the Peak cap as the same item.  Are these all very similar?  Because from reading this so far, there seem to be some vast differences.  Does anyone have a definitive link that can help sort this out for me?

The following definitions (and the attached image) are from CFP 265 CF Dress Instructions:

Cap. Means a headdress without a brim all the way around, e.g., beret, wedge cap. A peaked cap has a projecting brim on the front. (casquette)

Field Service Cap. Means a cloth folding or “wedge cap” (see below). Originally designed for wear during field operations and training, it may now also be worn as an undress cap with full and undress uniforms. (calot [de campagne])

Forage Cap. Means an undress peaked cap (see “cap”) which may be worn with army full and undress uniforms. Originally designed for casual and fatigue wear in the field (“foraging”). (casquette de police)

Hat. Means a headdress with a brim all around the central crown. (chapeau)

Peaked Cap. (See “cap”).

Service Cap. Means a peaked cap (see “cap”) designed and coloured for wear with service dress
uniforms. (chapeau de service)

Wedge Cap. Means a modern field service cap (see above) designed for wear with service dress. (calot)

Thanks again!  A great example from Dress instructions.  Would that have been available to the public originally?

That winter fur cap (RMC) looks....interesting... :-X (haven't seen a real picture of one, but that illustration makes it look hideous).

*EDIT: Looked back in the thread again and answered my own question...found the publicly available dress regs.

And to add to the confusion.  In the RAF, the forage cap is their term for the wedge cap (as worn by a well known individual shown below) and is an optional item of kit.  In another thread some comments were made about the manner in which he was wearing this head-dress which does not seem to conform to that service's instructions.  But then the only photo of a pers wearing the item in their dress instrs does not provide a good example of correct wear (see below).  (BTW, the optional leather flying jacket as shown in the photo can be worn with aircrew dress but can not be worn while flying aircraft.)

AP 1358 Uniform Dress and Appearance Regulations for the Royal Air Force

Chapter 1 - General Instructions on Uniform Dress and Appearance
Wearing of Head-dress
0124. When wearing uniform outdoors, on or off base, headdress is to be worn by all personnel in the following manner:
b. Forage Cap. The forage cap, which is an optional extra at own expense, is worn tilted to the right so that that front edge is approximately 25mm above the eyebrows and the side edge is approximately 12mm above the right ear. The material is blue/grey worsted barathea of standard styling for wg cdrs and below; for gp capts and air officers the cap is piped in minerva blue. The forage cap is never worn with CS 95. 

Chapter 6 - Aircrew Orders of Dress
0614. Black Leather Flying Jacket – (No 14C dress). A blue leather flying jacket of the standard approved pattern (in accordance with RAF GAI 6076) may be purchased at personal expense and worn with flying clothing, on the ground only. See Para 0615.

0615. Mixing of Uniform. Cold weather flying jackets, cold weather trousers, CS95 outer jackets and blue leather flying jackets, are only for wear with service issue flying suits. Under no circumstances are any of these items to be worn with other orders of dress e.g. No 2 Dress uniform.

Alllllmost picked up an old (but in remarkably good shape!) Army Forage Cap today.

I think I'm going to wait to see if I get an offer from the ROTP selection boards in early Feb.  It'd be awesome for wear with mess kit (coming and going from functions), instead of the beret.

Ex-Dragoon said:
A little more respect for other elements traditions goes a long way....

"dog whistle" is a bosun call

Navy.ca Staff

All in good fun. I'm so use to being call a Pongo..  ;D

Army.ca Reader

I have no DIN access, and those internet links to dress regs don't seem to be working for me  :-[ but are there regs for carrying the peaked cap? I seem to recall seeing it carried under the left arm, but maybe some naval personnel could help me out?

What do you mean carrying it? You carry it by putting it on your head :D where it's meant to go ;)

But when you're not wearing it, and you're walking around with it indoors, you may put it between your left arm and your body. Forearm parallel to the ground, with your hand supporting the crown of the cap, with the brim pointing forward while being careful so that your fingers don't touch the brim as it leaves nice greasy finger prints ;D

Now, is this in the dress regs somewhere? I don't know :D That's how I carry it and boy do I look sharp  >:D

MedTech said:
But when you're not wearing it, and you're walking around with it indoors,

Bah, you know that's what I meant. Thanks MedTech.

benny88 said:
Bah, you know that's what I meant. Thanks MedTech.

Not a problem mate... but please, tell me you read this part too right?

MedTech said:
Now, is this in the dress regs somewhere? I don't know :D That's how I carry it and boy do I look sharp  >:D

Because I just make myself look good :D I don't know if I'm actually doing it right ;)

CDN Aviator said:
I dont know where the fighter guys would put it. I dont think any of the helo guys would have a good spot for it. I sure dont have any room for it in my aircraft since it would end up getting wrecked anyways. i would say the same about transports ( minus the Airbus). So i would say that the wedge or beret would overwhelmingly be worn.

The wedge fits nicely in the right leg pocket, but as Chuck Yeager managed to get a broom handle into the X-1, I'm sure we could figure something out.  It's not for the flightline, anyway.

Blackadder1916 said:
0614. Black Leather Flying Jacket – (No 14C dress). A blue leather flying jacket of the standard approved pattern (in accordance with RAF GAI 6076) may be purchased at personal expense and worn with flying clothing, on the ground only. See Para 0615.
The Aussies are issued with a sweet black leather flying jacket which, amazingly, they don't think is a fair trade for a CF Air Force Turban  ???  They also wear ballcaps anywhere on base.  8)

benny88 said:
I have no DIN access, and those internet links to dress regs don't seem to be working for me  :-[ but are there regs for carrying the peaked cap? I seem to recall seeing it carried under the left arm, but maybe some naval personnel could help me out?

Try looking here Useful Links for Training

I think the G-1 is the shiznit! If we can wear the USN Aviator G-1 jacket I would be sooo happy :D

MedTech said:
I think the G-1 is the shiznit! If we can wear the USN Aviator G-1 jacket I would be sooo happy :D

I think you picked the wrong element, mate.

Forage caps on one's head is fine... forage caps in one's hand is a pain in the arse.
Tracking down YOUR forage cap in a cloak room that is full of forage caps is a monstruous headache.

Hurrah the Beret!

niceasdrhuxtable said:
I think you picked the wrong element, mate.

Nope, not really mate :) USN (N for Navy dude!) We just need to bring back the Fleet Air Arm!

An Air Force Major was wearing a Forge cap a few weeks ago at Trenton Air Base. And yes, you can wear a corn flake, cough excuse me CF tri-service cap badge with it if that's all you have.

MedTech said:
Nope, not really mate :) USN (N for Navy dude!) We just need to bring back the Fleet Air Arm!

You need to change MOC then.......

Back