• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force Cuts?

geo said:
:-X Shhhh.... It's a secret!     :-X
No it's just not important, at least according to our media elites.Which I think speaks volumes about their ability to or perhaps their inability to cover just about anything.
If a media editor  has a choice between either running a story concerning yet another Jessica Simpson misadventure  and  Man's first contact with an extraterrestrial intelligence.Doe anyone here want to guess not only which story would take precedence and how long it took them to make that decision ?

In journalism class, I'm told that news was supposed to be SIN:

Significant
Interesting
New

Base your opinions on that... :)

Bandit1 said:
In journalism class, I'm told that news was supposed to be SIN:

Significant
Interesting
New

Base your opinions on that... :)

They always report on what the police are doing and encountering....because it's easier to get that information The fact is that it's not that it's more interesting...they are lazy and the use of a scanner or hanging around police HQ is easier than actually digging for stories that are really interesting...like increasing the Air Force's abilities to deploy and sustain fast air assets.

Bandit1 said:
Also, do we have a timeline on when the Polaris' will be coming online, provided it isn't breaking any OPSEC rules?

Should be passing gas by the end of the year.
Trials (OT&E) are on-going.

If there were to be cuts, I would bet the savings could be had by personnel cuts.Cutting maintenance and the operating budget is counterproductive. Remember the CF is also buying the C-130J to replace the aging C-130 fleet. Both the C-17 and C-130J will be cheaper to operate and maintain which should allow for alot of savings.

What about attrition?  There are always people each year who leave for whatever reason....could the number account for a certain percentage and thus the cuts wouldn't have to be as deep?

I agree that attrition is one way to reduce manpower costs. The trick in force reductions is to cut the fat and subpar individuals without losing the people you want to keep. Both the USAF and USN are selectively reducing their manning levels to pay for aicraft such as the F-22 and various ship building projects. The USN eliminated their signalmen for example and are reducing crew size. The reality in the US military is that only a small percentage of the overall force serve til retirement. The use of civilian contractors to fill the jobs once done by uniformed personnel is another means to the same end.

I'm guessing the recruitment of new aerospace engineers would be affected by this as well?

I think the recruiting of AERE officers continues unabated.  In fact, there are more AERE officers than airframes in the CF... an interesting conundrum.  I suspect there could be considerable savings found if that trade's PML were reviewed by an objective eye...

Back