• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )

Can someone please fill me in with some background information on the ACSO trade??

On what basis do they select the type of aircraft you fly on?

Thanks for any help here.

Also you can go to Google, or the search bar on this site for that matter and put in ACSO and it will come up with some links that will help you out.

phildabomb said:
On what basis do they select the type of aircraft you fly on?

Needs of the CF, then your 3 preferences. 

Dimsum said:
Needs of the CF,you suitability***................that day of the week...........what the career manager had for breakfast......the moon's phase.......... then your 3 preferences.

There, more in line with reality.

**In Dimsum's case, it took while to figure out. I mean, the guy gets posted to 2 different aircframes, qualifies on none, then goes to play with toy planes and gets to do it OUTCAN......wtf ??

CDN Aviator said:
**In Dimsum's case, it took while to figure out. I mean, the guy gets posted to 2 different aircframes, qualifies on none, then goes to play with toy planes and gets to do it OUTCAN......wtf ??

Are you STILL griping about that?  ;D

Dimsum said:
Are you STILL griping about that?  ;D

Clearly  >:D

J/K..........i'm just jealous. But hey, i'm outta here this summer and going back !!

CDN Aviator said:
J/K..........i'm just jealous. But hey, i'm outta here this summer and going back !!

Yeah, Dimsum you got a pretty sweet deal!

So CDN_A am I reading that correctly?  Can I expect to see the new Pte's trembling with fear at the thought of your return?

Are there any civilian-related trades that I could transfer my ACSO skills to?

phildabomb said:
Are there any civilian-related trades that I could transfer my ACSO skills to?

There are related civilian job opportunities for retired ACSOs. They tend to be very specialized (such as those that run the CP-140 mission simulator).

Hey,

How do they select ACSO's for 414 sqn?

Is it a course you can take to become a EWO? I assume that flying backseat in the Hawk you would have to have a little more piloting ability as I assume if sh*t goes south and the Pilot is not capable of flying you have a stick?

CDN Aviator said:
They do  not fly hawks.

Ok... sitting in the backseat of the Alpha Jet....sorry. Since it's a 2 seat airframe - I assume a little more knowledge is needed?

seawolf said:
I assume a little more knowledge is needed?

As far as i know, they are not trained to fly the thing. When crap hits the fan and the pilot is incapacitated, the ejection handle is there.

To answer another of your questions, there is training for ACSOs posted to 414 and is specific to their jobs. In fact, a new training course is in the development process.

CDN Aviator said:
As far as i know, they are not trained to fly the thing. When crap hits the fan and the pilot is incapacitated, the ejection handle is there.

Correct. In fact, we were given specific orders NOT to attempt to do anything more than orbit till gas is gone. On the other hand.. you will get some stick time if the pilot so wishes.

Thanks!

How does the EWO training work? Is it some course you can try and get later or are there ACSO's sent right to EW and 414?

I'd be MORE then happy to end up in any airframe if selected to ACSO - Just i cant find much detail on the electronic warfare stuff, vs how you get selected for other airframes (read: luck and maybe your preference).

seawolf said:
How does the EWO training work?

You get posted to 414, you get the training. Pretty simple.

I've seen both experienced guys and pipes (new guys fresh out of ACSO school) get sent there.

Back