• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Cadets - Pace sticks and rifles????

Bergeron 971

Inactive
Reaction score
Well. This is interesting.
http://www.pbase.com/wakenphotography/image/67059940

Comments?

The rifles are fine, but the Pace Stick shouldn't be there, unless Eastern Region has its own rules.

Sloaner said:
The rifles are fine, but the Pace Stick shouldn't be there, unless Eastern Region has its own rules.

Rifles are arguably banned for air cadets in Eastern Region. Pace sticks as you said, shouldn't be there.

I thought that any weapon, sword, rifle etc, was not to be used by aircadets? same with pace sticks. I think it is heritage to use pace sticks and weaponry during drill.

Bergeron 971 said:
I thought that any weapon, sword, rifle etc, was not to be used by aircadets? same with pace sticks. I think it is heritage to use pace sticks and weaponry during drill.

Air Cadets:

Swords - no
Rifles - Yes, except Eastern Region (controversial)
Pace sticks - no

I'm trying to get clarification on the rifle issue threw my CO.

Wrong. And that one cadet seems to be using a wooden C7 for rifle drill, BIG no. It is not even an approved rifle for drill for any cadet organization, wonderful.  ::)

This is 211 isn't it? Unless my eyes are deciving me...I believe it is.

Argh. Idiots.

condor888000 said:
Wrong. And that one cadet seems to be using a wooden C7 for rifle drill, BIG no. It is not even an approved rifle for drill for any cadet organization, wonderful.  ::)

This is 211 isn't it? Unless my eyes are deciving me...I believe it is.

Argh. Idiots.

Ya its 211...

Guess things have changed a bit since I was an Air Cadet in the '90's.  I was the Flag Party Commander, and I remember we used Lee Enfields for our drill purposes, same rifles we shot.  Flag Party was always 3 flags, unless it was a civic event, in which case we also flew the City Flag.  Always had two rifles as the guards.  Mind you... we also wore white lanyards and ceremonial white belts.

ThainC said:
Guess things have changed a bit since I was an Air Cadet in the '90's.  I was the Flag Party Commander, and I remember we used Lee Enfields for our drill purposes, same rifles we shot.  Flag Party was always 3 flags, unless it was a civic event, in which case we also flew the City Flag.  Always had two rifles as the guards.  Mind you... we also wore white lanyards and ceremonial white belts.

Not supposed to fly three flags anymore.

We still wear the lanyards and white belts.

If you take a gander at the other images from the same parade, you can see that the rifles are actually just planks, cut in the shape of rifles as condor mentioned, they are not Lee Enfields. The flag party seems to also be part of a larger group (around 18 cadets in all with flags).
The pace stick, I've got no idea about. Why are air cadet squadrons not permitted to use them?

Becasue it is stated directly in the CATO's that we may not. In addition, the planks are also contrary to Eastern Standing Orders which dictate what we may use for rifle drill, so yes, they are also an issue.

And the Cpl. carrying the Province of Quebec flag is missing a level badge  ;D.  sorry i couldn't resist.

PV

If you go back through the pictures you'll notice that the F/Sgt carrying the pace stick doesn't even hold it properly...
Aswell, yes, those are plywood cutouts of C7's, which is two tsk-tsk's in one.

woah...I'm in a different region now arn't I?...We have at least 20 old DP lee enfield back in toronto. Are they not authorized for use here (eastern region I mean)?

Something like that. The document is around here somewhere. I believe the exact words were along the lines of "may not be used in public."

But do NOT expect to find any air units in Ottawa with DP rifles, just doesn't happen....

condor888000 said:
Something like that. The document is around here somewhere. I believe the exact words were along the lines of "may not be used in public."

But do NOT expect to find any air units in Ottawa with DP rifles, just doesn't happen....

I'm trying very hard to change that.

Your not supposed to have them on annual and in public. Something like that, its not very clear. Conflicting info.

Now that I think of it, Eastern has never cared much about translating stuff into english. I wonder if the order would be clearer if read in french....Yoman, you speak french. *HINT HINT*

Back