• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Luke - Canadian movie...

"Well, I was kind of disappointed that they edited out the mud wrestling scene between Ali Liebert and Pascale Hutton..."

;D

Good2Golf said:
"Well, I was kind of disappointed that they edited out the mud wrestling scene between Ali Liebert and Pascale Hutton..."

;D
There's a loony and Milpoints in it for you if you get in touch with the CBC guy and say that on camera >:D

Mike Bobbitt said:
All,

I was contacted by Nigel Hunt of the CBC today, who is looking to speak to someone with a military background about this film. His message follows:

CBC tv news producer working on a story planned for this Monday Sept 12 on the new Canadian movie Afghan Luke that is premiering at the Toronto International Film Festival. Seeking someone military or former military who has either seen an advance screening or at least the trailer and can comment on camera in a brief tv interview on what they think of the film and/or premise.

please contact asap: Nigel.Hunt [at] cbc.ca

I would have to suggest that it is hardly fair to us, nor the film producers/writers et al, to comment before seeing the film, and the trailer is never enough to comment on. 

I am willing to give this film a chance, and will see it. After I see it, I will put my comments up here, in the public domain.

milnews.ca said:
There's a loony and Milpoints in it for you if you get in touch with the CBC guy and say that on camera >:D

I'll toss in a couple of beers. 8)

Teeps74 said:
I would have to suggest that it is hardly fair to us, nor the film producers/writers et al, to comment before seeing the film, and the trailer is never enough to comment on. 

I am willing to give this film a chance, and will see it. After I see it, I will put my comments up here, in the public domain.

Since when has the CBC been fair anyway?

Teeps74 said:

Apparently there was an advance screening for some military folks, and he is hoping to make contact with someone who has already seen it. In lieu of that, he'll take first impressions on the trailer. I realize it's not much, but this may be an opportunity to air some of the concerns noted above. If we pass it up, we'll have to accept that the public will make up their own mind about events based on a vague memory of what was originally reported, and the fiction portrayed in the film.

Mike Bobbitt said:
....he'll take first impressions on the trailer....

I thought I may have   seen the front of a KAC can, (or something that looks like one)... in the trailer....gave me a "half-ie", and the show a little more cred, (for me), but I still wanna read some reviews.

If the hippies at TIFF hate it, I'll probably love it.

If that dude wants a non-mil/fanboy review...send him my way.

HS
:)

If the KAC can you're referring to is the ones we put on our 308s, then yes I saw that too (I wasn't aware is was a KAC)

Honestly, the subtext be damned, it actually looks pretty entertaining.

Snaketnk said:
If the KAC can you're referring to is the ones we put on our 308s, then yes I saw that too (I wasn't aware is was a KAC)

Not entirely sure, the maple leaf on the end just looked like something I thought I'd seen somewhere....(probably wrong).

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20110911/trailer-park-boys-creator-goes-to-war-afghan-luke-110914/20110912?s_name=tiff2011

"Trailer Park Boys" co-creator and director Mike Clattenburg isn't offended by the suggestion that a nuanced satirical film on Canada's role in the Afghan war is a bit of a surprise coming from him.

"I guess people would expect me to do crazy, screwball stuff, but we did that for 10 years," the Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia native tells me in a hotel room in downtown Toronto. "Guys in their underwear and housecoats, drunk trailer park supervisors . . . I've been doing that stuff for a while, that stoner comedy.

"I was excited to do something I hadn't done before."

milnews.ca said:
Now, that I would pay to see...

Globe & Mail's Liam Lacey gives it one star out of four:
Trailer Park Boys director Mike Clattenburg moves to a larger canvas – the Afghanistan war – for this black comedy about journalistic cover-ups, hashish and corpse mutilation. Targeting the same absurdist, sardonic mode of David O. Russell`s Three Kings, the movie feels several drafts short of a tight script. Two Canadian reporters ( Nick Stahl and Nicolas Wright) return to Afghanistan when an editor spikes a story about Canadian sharpshooter cutting off his victims` fingers. Shot in the British Columbia interior substituting for Central Asia, the movie features a collection of cartoonish figures – a chirpy native guide, an airhead camp follower, and a fashionable warlord who wants to help his nephew break into rap music – that fail to be even interestingly offensive.

As for the military pre-screening ....
.... As the story's A-plot involves possible wrongdoing by the Canadian military, the filmmakers played the movie before some top Canadian Forces brass in Halifax ....
.... it would have been interesting to hear comments from a military pre-screening for "some top Canadian Forces brass" in, say, Edmonton.

Now I'm REALLY curious to see what someone with some military experience (and perhaps time downrange) has to say if they see the flick.

milnews.ca said:
As for the military pre-screening ........ it would have been interesting to hear comments from a military pre-screening for "some top Canadian Forces brass" in, say, Edmonton.

Now I'm REALLY curious to see what someone with some military experience (and perhaps time downrange) has to say if they see the flick.
Didn't take them long to close the comments on that site.

Perhaps they felt the first and only comment captured everything that needed to be said. For those who haven't read it:

Disgraceful to even suggest in a fictional story that our troops have acted with anything but complete professionalism. It evolves and perpetuates a complete lie.

But yet, somehow, I'm not so surprised. It's a lot less offensive than doing a story about the Taliban killing teachers or schoolgirls...

- John from Edmonton

Re: Halifax and the screening there.

Don't forget that Clattenburg is from down East, and that Halifax isn't just RCN.  LFAA HQ is in Halifax, so there are some "Army Guys" there, just as there are in Valcartier, Gagetown, Petawawa and even in Edmonton.  It was probably just easier for him to screen it to the local big wigs.

Technoviking said:
Re: Halifax and the screening there.

Don't forget that Clattenburg is from down East, and that Halifax isn't just RCN.  LFAA HQ is in Halifax, so there are some "Army Guys" there, just as there are in Valcartier, Gagetown, Petawawa and even in Edmonton.  It was probably just easier for him to screen it to the local big wigs.
Seen, and understood about the location and the producer's location.  I was just curious re:  what the response from a different mix o' people in a more Army-esque place might be.

Here's the thing guys.  Every movie needs a catch at the start to pull people in, and it's a lot easier to use something the general public may be somewhat familiar with, even though the allegation was proven false, than to completely make something up, in which case we'd all be up in arms about how the creators hate the military, with a call to boycott everything Trailer Park Boys, etc, etc.

He needed a catch.  He used something that had been in the news.  Imagine if the catch had been something like, "Reporter's story about Canadian soldiers brutalizing young women in Afghanistan gets burried so he decides to quit and head out on his own..."  If he had done something like this, something completely made up, I could understand your ire.  But this is Hollywood (of the North).  At least he had SOME taste in choosing his catch.

Interesting that the title uses the Generation Kill font.

Back