• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Adding a bit of extra protection to the armour

Status
Not open for further replies.

RecruitInWaiting

Inactive
Reaction score
Noting that there are significant gaps in the CF issued ballistic vests around the arms and armpit that expose vital organs and arteries, I'm doing a bit of research to find out the feasibility of adding a bit of extra protection in these areas.

My basic idea is to add a jerkin underneath the armour with welded metal rings (steel or titanium) in vulnerable spots only. Obviously this would be of little protection to direct fire from an AK/PKM, but the point is to protect against flying shrapnel. As far as the jerkin, I was thinking some kind of slightly thick moisture wicking fabric or maybe a soft leather.

Problems I've already identified are weight and mobility. Welded titanium in selective spots over a moisture wicking fabric are the best I can come up with at present addressing this. However, another problem I've considered would be that a direct hit from a round might actually drive fragments of the links into the wound, resulting in more damage than if there had been no mail there in the first place. Please, poke holes in this one. It'll save me a lot of time trying to blow up sheets of titanium rings and underarmour.

Judging from your name you are not even in the forces yet.  I would wait till you are in and have actually worn the protective gear before you think of adding to it.  Once you have done a couple of Pl attacks or 10 km patrols wearing the gear you will probably change your mind about wearing extra protection.  Also I doubt your Sect Comd would let you, he would tell you to take it off before you become a heat casualty.

Dangerboy speaks wisely. He should, because I had a pretty big hand in his training.

Good post Danger. I concur with Dangerboy. In fact the Pl Comd and I gave him that nickname in....when was it?

dangerboy said:
Judging from your name you are not even in the forces yet.  I would wait till you are in and have actually worn the protective gear before you think of adding to it.  Once you have done a couple of Pl attacks or 10 km patrols wearing the gear you will probably change your mind about wearing extra protection.  Also I doubt your Sect Comd would let you, he would tell you to take it off before you become a heat casualty.
This is pretty much what I expected. Appreciate it. Truth be told I was only playing with the idea now because it'd take forever to get together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back