• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Active duty solider from US looking for to talk to reserve soliders

Can-american

Inactive
Reaction score
Well foremost greetings to everyone, I am active in the US Army, but born and raised in Canada.  I am preparing for my next tour of Iraq in the up coming months, when I get down with this tour I will be nearing my time of my contract. I am thinking of moving to the north west and am wondering about your reserve units. I know very little other then when I was a child growing up I heard of the Seaforth Highlanders (excuse me if I had a spelling mistake in their name). My current MOS is 11b with a fair number of qualifications, airborne, lrm, ranger school.  Really what i am wondering is the deployment and work schedule of your reserve. Here in the US guard and reserve are working as hard as us active lads.  Is that the case with you guys also deployments we run 15 months what does your times frame run.  I have a handful of questions and would like to talk to someone private.  Take care

I take it you're from the Lower Mainland. You have 2 options if you're interested in the Infantry here. The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, located at 4th and Burrard St in Vancouver.

The other option you have is with my unit. The Royal Westminster Regiment, located both in New Westminster and Aldergrove. Both fine units.

As a Reservist in the Canadian Forces, you are not 'activated' so to speak. We only deploy and train on a voluntary basis, so there are no 'normal' rotations to Afghanistan or anywhere else we're involved. The process is a long and arduous one to get on tour, but the Reserves in Canada are as busy as we ever have been so there will be no shortage of missions if you're keen.

I think your best bet is to speak to a Recruiter at one of the units and find out what your options are.

Best of luck on your next tour.

Cheers,

HH

Well even if you were born here in Canada, I assume you had to go through the immigration procedures of the States when you were younger( which means losing your Canadian citizenship when you turned 18), since you were able to join the US Army, unless you have and still hold dual citizenship in both nations. You have to check at your nearest Canadian Embassy/consulate to sort things out if you wanna come back- you should have no problem in reclaiming in your Canadian citizenship- have your birth certificate handy if that's the case. Good luck and take care in Iraq.

:salute:

HollywoodHitman said:
As a Reservist in the Canadian Forces, you are not 'activated' so to speak. We only deploy and train on a voluntary basis, so there are no 'normal' rotations to Afghanistan or anywhere else we're involved.

Just to clarify what he has said, CF Reservists are not deployed unless they volunteer.  You can, as a Reservist, volunteer to go on Tour (Deployment) with a Regular Force unit.  Approx 20% of our deployed pers are Reservists.  Our Tours are of six months duration 'in country'.  Work up training can be as long as one year prior to deploying in some Trades.  As a Reservist, deploying, you would likely be on a Class 'B' contract up until the time you deploy, and then on a Class 'C' contract.  Class 'B' is full time employment at 85% the wages of the Regular Force.  Class 'C 'is full time employment at full Reg Force Pay.

HollywoodHitman said:
I take it you're from the Lower Mainland. You have 2 options if you're interested in the Infantry here. The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, located at 4th and Burrard St in Vancouver.

The other option you have is with my unit. The Royal Westminster Regiment, located both in New Westminster and Aldergrove. Both fine units.

As a Reservist in the Canadian Forces, you are not 'activated' so to speak. We only deploy and train on a voluntary basis, so there are no 'normal' rotations to Afghanistan or anywhere else we're involved. The process is a long and arduous one to get on tour, but the Reserves in Canada are as busy as we ever have been so there will be no shortage of missions if you're keen.

I think your best bet is to speak to a Recruiter at one of the units and find out what your options are.

Best of luck on your next tour.

Cheers,

HH

The reason I asked this board instead of a recruiter are two reasons:

1)  I contacted a local recruiter in Vancouver and he just plumb did not really know he was a 2LT and was confused just by the questions (go figure an officer confused  ::) )
2) Recruiters here in America the majority not all are snakes and looking at filling numbers and bend more then a Thai hooker when your on leave with your mates

To answer your question did grow on the north west in the north delta area. I will try to contact this New Wesminster regiment some time today I have some leave coming up before deployment and if I come back to Canada I will pop into both those regiments. Also the there was a question about my citizenship did I give it up, luckily I did not have to be aboriginal at 50% I was able to keep both cit zenships.
Thanks for the help lads,

Take care, Can-Am

Back