• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aching Shins from Running

Knuckles

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I run just about everyday, sprinting for 10 mins and jogging for as much as I can. Thing is I have this pain on my inner shins. I figured it might be bruised muscle so I'm taking glutamine. Can someone please advise me if this is something I should pay attention to or does it mearly come with the territory?

Regards  :salute:

That sounds like shin splints. Drink lots of water, take it easy for a couple of days - put your feet up and relax (honest - elevate your feet and legs) and do some gentle stretching, working the muscles, but not to the point that it hurts. It does pass, and doesn't take too much time before you're back to normal. Really painful, aren't they?!

:cdn:
Hawk

How long have you been running, what are you running on, how new are your shoes?
Its hard to diagnose over the net -- it could be nothing - or it could be.

I find when I get similar pains - I can releive it by stretching my stride.

Thanks for the quick responses. I guess I have been neglecting my stretching. I will take it easy till the aching dies down and will pick up when things feel right.

Much thanks and it is well appreciated  :)

I don't think my shoes are the problem because I bought a new pair and I had this problem with the previous pair as well.

Have a good one

I had the same thing.The thing I found that worked the best was to stand in the shower,point the shower head at my legs and turn it on all cold after my runs.
It gets rid of the pain.

Also if your running with a lot of downhill,you may be landing too hard.People who marathon will attest that the place they get hurt the most is downhill,it a lot of pounding for the legs to take.

I've had lots of problems with shin splints.  Couple of things that haven't been mentioned:

Some of the problem is an inbalance between your calf muscles and the little muscles around your shin bones.  To work those muscles - sit on a chair and put a towel under your bare feet.  Using your toes, crunch the towel up.  This will work those little muscles, and provide some relief from the pain.  Another one is to use your toes to "draw" something (like the alphabet) in the air.  Go slow and deliberate, and use the max range of motion. 

Stretching those same muscles - get down on the floor, on your knees, with your feet under your butt (hard to describe without visual aids).  Lean back to stretch your shins out.  You can also stretch them in a standing position by putting your toe behind you, with the top of your foot touching the floor, press your toe to the floor to stretch the shin.

I always have problems as my combat boots get worn - the outer part of the heel wears sooner than the rest of the boot cause of the way I walk.  I think it's called underpronation - I roll from the outside of the foot to the inside.  The wear on the soles of my boots makes the underpronation worse, and makes the shinsplints worse.  Anyway, turn your boots/shoes over and check the wear pattern.  With me, once I exchange them and have flat soles again, my gait returns to a more normal state, and the shinsplints get better.

The other advice is good too - especially the surface you run on.  Concrete is really bad for shin splints.

I still think the main culprit could be the shoes. Even if they're new, the still have to be the right shoe. Go to a high end running store or even physio and get a foot and gait assessment done. If you pronate - which is most often the cause of shin splints, you'll need a motion control shoe. The best stores know this and will educate you on which shoe should work for you (you don't actually have to buy their shoe). Avoid getting your advice from the big chains as the kids selling the shoes haven't got a clue. The chains are an OK place to purchase your kit, once you know what you need.

Much thanks, I better look into this before BMQ. Again, very much appreciated

Go to the best shoe store you can find, and take their advice.

Hang in there. Like everything else in life, this too will pass.

:cdn:
Hawk

Well, I've been running mostly outside(on concrete) and on a treadmill. I try to avoid downhill roads because I was told by someone it might be the cause of the shin splints.

I have been neglecting to stretch before running and I think the smat thing to do would be to make a habit of doing it from now on.

I do walk slightly crooked because I had an accident when I was younger and my left leg is stronger than my right, consequently the back of the sole of my right shoes are more worn.

I will try to find a doctor to do a check up and see if I need anything.

Much thanks again everyone! :salute:

A few years ago I experienced a similar phenomenon.  After some investigation and speaking to a physiotherapist friend of mine, I leaned about a different style of running. I can't recall the name, but most of us run heel-toe which puts added stress on our shines.  The rubbing of the muscle across the bone causes stress and pain over time and if left can cause permanent damage.  I learend to run so that I landed toe first which took away that stress and in fact added more spring to my run.  now I tend to alternate between the two styles of running, but it is certainly worth looking into if it helps.

Back