• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Acceptances to RMC - When sent out?

My personal worry is, not getting accepted to ROTP and ending up without a summer job. Sorry, a REAL summer job. I'm starting up at PRes application tomorrow at my local CFRC so that if I don't get ROTP I have a military related back up plan for the summer and immediate future. The gas station just doesn't cut it anymore.

stefwills said:
My personal worry is, not getting accepted to ROTP and ending up without a summer job. Sorry, a REAL summer job. I'm starting up at PRes application tomorrow at my local CFRC so that if I don't get ROTP I have a military related back up plan for the summer and immediate future. The gas station just doesn't cut it anymore.

I hear that. I had to quit my lifeguarding job banking on passing my aircrew medicals... still no call, and no job. It's nervewracking isn't it?

Perhaps a little advice that is given to young soldiers prior to Deployment is applicable here.

Advice given to soldiers prior to Deployment "not to spend their money before they leave" because their deployment can be cancelled at the last minute, could also be applied to your situation.  Until you are actually on the plane/train/bus, you have not been deployed/selected, and you have not earned that money. 

Or perhaps.......Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

If your sole plan is to be accepted to the CF, and you have not made other contingency plans, you may land up loosing out on both.

Perfect_Clark said:
I had to quit my lifeguarding job banking on passing my aircrew medicals...

Why did you 'have' to quit your lifeguarding job?

As GW points out, until you are actually on the plane/train/bus you haven't been selected yet. So, why not keep you lifeguarding job, then when/if you get selected, and only then, call up your lifeguarding job and tell them that you're quitting? Why do it before? Why shoot yourself in the foot?

I worked full time at the front desk of a hotel during my application process. It wasn't until three weeks before I left for IAP that I finally told my boss about my change of career, and that was two (2) months after being told of my acceptance into ROTP.

Perfect_Clark said:
I hear that. I had to quit my lifeguarding job banking on passing my aircrew medicals... still no call, and no job. It's nervewracking isn't it?

...you've said in previous posts that you were already given an offer of ROTP...

?

infamous_p said:
...you've said in previous posts that you were already given an offer of ROTP...

?

Nerve racking....isn't it?

infamous_p said:

?

He can have a conditional offer for ROTP pending satisfactory completion of aircrew selection process.

Lumber said:
Why did you 'have' to quit your lifeguarding job?

As GW points out, until you are actually on the plane/train/bus you haven't been selected yet. So, why not keep you lifeguarding job, then when/if you get selected, and only then, call up your lifeguarding job and tell them that you're quitting? Why do it before? Why shoot yourself in the foot?

I worked full time at the front desk of a hotel during my application process. It wasn't until three weeks before I left for IAP that I finally told my boss about my change of career, and that was two (2) months after being told of my acceptance into ROTP.

I "had" to quit because it's lifeguarding and swimming instruction. This session (like a school term) goes from March to the end of June. If I get accepted I have to go to BMOQ on May 4th. So since I can't teach half the lessons then pass the kids off to another instructor, yes I did have to quit.

Perfect_Clark said:
I "had" to quit because it's lifeguarding and swimming instruction. This session (like a school term) goes from March to the end of June. If I get accepted I have to go to BMOQ on May 4th. So since I can't teach half the lessons then pass the kids off to another instructor, yes I did have to quit.

I've had instructors and even my Plt Commander switced during the middle of my two (ha...) courses. It's not impossible to replace you.

Lumber said:
I've had instructors and even my Plt Commander switced during the middle of my two (ha...) courses. It's not impossible to replace you.

Ditto, but I think Clark's actions were valid. Let's not hijack the thread too bad on whether he should have stayed teaching the doggy paddle.

Try moving back to Canada from being in Japan for several years just to submit my application. I came back to no job, no savings, no house, no hometown, and had no idea if or when I would get in. Trusting that I'll pass my aircrew exam, I'll be going to RMC one year after coming back. I know that everyone's situation is different, but if not having a summer job is such a massive issue, I'm guessing that dealing with the uncertainties that are sure to come with the job will be difficult for some to deal with.

While we are discussing quitting jobs and  the scenarios we are in, I have a question. I have applied for ROTP and put in my application that I wish to attend RMC. Currently I am in my first year of University, now potentially if I get accepted into RMC and find out that my courses will not get credited towards the RMC courses.

Would it benefit me more to drop my Civvy U classes and take up a full time job (save up money) and focus on physical fitness? or

Would it benefit me to complete my last semester at my university as it would give me experience and help me with courses in RMC, then after completing that take up a job and the fitness aspect?

Personal experience stories and advice is greatly appreciated!

Calgone said:
Would it benefit me more to drop my Civvy U classes and take up a full time job (save up money) and focus on physical fitness? or

Would it benefit me to complete my last semester at my university as it would give me experience and help me with courses in RMC, then after completing that take up a job and the fitness aspect?

Personal experience stories and advice is greatly appreciated!

Short answer:

Stay in school.  Don't worry about money, if you get ROTP you'll get paid.  If you don't you'll at least have some school done.

Focus on fitness in any case.

Agreed. I'm in 2nd year at Queen's and transferring to ROTP at RMC.

I can't say anything for certain but I understand that they can and do validate 'some' university credits for electives at least. So perhaps you might not get direct credit equivalences, but you might have a bit more 'free time' due to electives being credited. So I think you have nothing to lose by finishing your year.  :)

Yeah that's what I was planning on doing, I do only have a month left of school anyway.

since the march 18 board meeting for second round selection, has anybody recieved an offer as of yet?

Maybe, I was told that calls for Round 2 would be going out this week and next week. But there's no guarantee when you'll receive a call, it could be as late as August.

Back