• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Acceptable heart rate for CF Fitness Test

V

Veteran`s son

What is the acceptable heart rate for the CF Step Test for someone over 35?

I believe someone mentioned this before but I don‘t think that it was for someone over 35.

Has anyone ever taken the CF step test more than once?

Its a standard VO2Max test with 3 steps. VO2Max takes into consideration age. Somewhere around a value of 40 I believe. Not 100% on that though.

You might find this site helpful

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/vo2max.htm#score

These are obviously not CF standards however they might give you a good idea of an acceptable rating.

Illucigen, concerning the method used for
the step test, would the tecumseh step test
method be similar to the one carried out for the
recruiting process?

Here is a link which provides a description
of the test...

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/tecumseh.htm

The numbers are fairly dead on. I think I had to have below 43 or below 45.. Not 100% though, Im in the lowest age category (21).

The only difference to whats mentioned there is that you actually step up on steps. they are more or less makeshift stairs (and you can slip).

The other added inconvenience is if you do it with a second person.. it can get confusing trying to focus on your own steps and the beat given.

I‘m not sure exactly how the test is administered in other CFRC‘s where DND does not administer the test themselves, but this was the test at NDHQ for the Ottawa CFRC

Illucigen

In order to pass the Step Test, would someone need to have a good or fair rating?

In today‘s wonderfully fit forces, I believe it‘s a fair. But dont quote me on it. The people who know would be PSP staff. Id ask for you, but my PSP staff do not do the step test here, we do the shuttle run.

I wouldn‘t really sweat the Step Test that much. If you can run the 2.4km in the time period put forth in the Pre-Fitness Guide, you‘ll definately be able to do the step test.

In any case, the only advice I think that you can really get is to work out as hard as possible and then take the test. IF you fail, it‘s not a big deal and you can train with the knowledge of the test.

I think that in other posts you‘ve given a long timeframe until you plan to start your application, so just shoot as high as possible and don‘t get sick with worry. :)

Good luck.

Thank you for all of your replies to this question!

If you do fail the Step Test, then you could redo the test other times until you pass and you could take the test as many times as you want, right?

If only I didn‘t have to do any running and jogging to prepare for the test! :D

I can now do 20 situps and 22 pushups which is more than the minimum reqirements for someone over 35 years old(like me). :cool:

You can take it over, but you haev to pay every time you repeat it.

You can redo the test as many times as necessary until you meet the standard.

Hello everyone

Another question please? :D

Does anyone think that I would have a good chance of passing the Step Test if I do not run 2.4km?

I certainly plan to do running in preparation for the test, however, but was just wondering if it were possible to successfully pass the Step Test without running the entire 2.4 km.

Its possible to pass the step test w/o going
out and running the 2.4k (heck I never did),
depending on your current cardiovascular
endurance.

However, its definately in your best interest
to go out and run run run.. because when you
hit basic you‘re going to be doing ALOT of
running.

kurokaze

Thanks for the reply! I will definitely be doing some running before I take the Fitness Test.

Back