• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A scary strategic problem - no oil

We could also help offset some of the generation problems by having homes start to generate some of their own power.  Every roof is a potential solar collector and there are a number of small wind generators that could be used in urban areas.  The houses do not have to be "off grid" but even a partial generation of power is less that needs to be produced from a large facility.  As well, when excess is produced it can be put into the system to be used elsewhere.

The problem is the cost of retrofitting such a system into existing housing.  I researched installing a hybrid system (combo wind/solar) in my home and it would cost over $40,000.  This is not an amount your average home owner can afford to sink into something like this.  Rather than spending huge amounts on building all kinds of large generators the government should take a look at subsidizing the installation of these systems with the money it would save.

Another option would be to support small generation for rural communities.  There are many towns that have rivers that could be used for hydroelectric generation and large open areas for wind and solar.  The cost benefits would be quite substantial as it would alleviate the need for increased transmission lines, and the maintenance of them, and have the side benefit of being able to keep the lights on during storms. In my small neck of the woods there are a number of small towns with populations of less than 5,000 people but they add up when put together.  Within a half hour drive I estimate there are over 30,000 people living in small communities.  Extrapolate that across the entire province and that is a large amount of power no longer coming from the large generators.

a_majoor said:
In the free market consumers would pay some entity for electrical power, and the entity (person, local corporation, multi national corporation) would attempt to meet the demand.  Successful entities will thrive, and P/O'd consumers will see to it that unsuccessful entities fail. Given the vast requirements, someone, somewhere would be building nuclear power stations to generate the baseline, and distributed power systems would be popping up to cover peak needs and local outages from the grid. Consumers also react to market signals; if the price rises, consumer behaviour changes, lights get turned off and so on.

Given the way Enron screwed California, by creating artificial shortages to inflate prices, I not sure how comfortable I am anymore with privatization.  In a perfect world that would be great but given the nature of the grid I am not sure I would trust best practices to overcome corporate greed.  The government is already favouring large corporations over smaller producers to the detriment of the consumer by creating centralized control rather than serious competition in the market.

rmacqueen said:
Given the way Enron screwed California, by creating artificial shortages to inflate prices, I not sure how comfortable I am anymore with privatization.  In a perfect world that would be great but given the nature of the grid I am not sure I would trust best practices to overcome corporate greed.  The government is already favouring large corporations over smaller producers to the detriment of the consumer by creating centralized control rather than serious competition in the market.

Enron was reacting to a very screwed up "privatization" that had been passed by the California legislature. Essentially, the government there had made it virtually impossible for any competitors to enter the market (although it was now a private market) through regulatory burdens. Interestingly enough, that is the same model used in Ontario, only in this case "Hydro One" was giventhe assets of Ontario Hydro, while the taxpayer assumed the debts. Compounding the error, the government set the retail rates for electrical energy (not the market), so anyone who wants to compete needs to be able to finance multi billion dollar baseline generators with extremely low ROI. The Americans are now in the role of ENRON, since their utilities across the border supply much of the peak power, and of course supply it at peak rates.

It annoys me to no end when Government failure is passed off as market failure.

Enron also created artificial shortages in California to inflate the prices.  It is no coincidence that when Enron collapsed the blackouts in California ended.

The problem is the cost of retrofitting such a system into existing housing.  I researched installing a hybrid system (combo wind/solar) in my home and it would cost over $40,000.  This is not an amount your average home owner can afford to sink into something like this.  Rather than spending huge amounts on building all kinds of large generators the government should take a look at subsidizing the installation of these systems with the money it would save.

Respectfully Mac, why would I pay 40,000 dollars for you to produce 1 kW of power for your own personal consumption when I can't pay for it for my own use? Am I supposed to pony up 80,000 so that we can both have one?

By contrast, even a 2 MW public utility windmill, costing 1,000,000 dollars installed and operating inefficiently at 25% will produce power at an installed cost of 2 dollars per kW.  And those numbers are still cost ineffective compared to both nuclear and carbon fuelled plants, not to mention large scale hydro.

And we haven't touched on the cost of keeping our two domestic power plants operating or how we deal with those days when the air is still and the roof is covered in snow.

Why not dig holes in the gound and harness the steam produced by the earth, or how about using ocean currents and wave action the list goes on.
the problem with all of these other better alternatives is they have draw backs. Some are worse then what we have now.

Lets dam every river we have, and install a water wheel to harness the energy, where do the fish go, what about the other wild life in the river?

Lets install solar panels on every house. The cost to make the glass, the pipeing needed to circulate the water or the wire needed to transfer the electricity. The excess heat absorbtion generated by millions of homes with huge arrays of solar panels with cause more problems.

Use wind mills, so much renewable wind it's unblievable. Set them up all over.

Huge ocean wave generators. We can line the coast with them, then wait and see what happens.

All these alternatives have a long term effect. The effects we want to see may not be what actually happens. Wind, water both take the path of least resistance.

In the March 2007 edition of Car and Driver, there is an interesting article about the Chevy Volt concept car. It utilizes a 16 Kw/Hr Lithium Ion battery pack (a very scaled up version of what runs your laptop, and about eigh times more powerful than the battery pack in a Toyota Prius), and is a "series" hybrid, in that the internal combustion engine does not directly drive the wheels, but rather a generator to keep the batteries charged. The car can also charge up from normal house current (just plug in at night). The sticking point is the battery pack is very expensive (est $40,000), and needs special care to prevent overheating or it could catch fire. Some heavy duty R&D is required in this area.

From a military perspective, the series hybrid allows the generator set to be placed anywhere, allowing for better space utilisation and balance, and the generator does not have to be any particular form of engine, it only has to deliver the proper current to the batteries. A fuel cell could substitute for an engine when the state of the art matures. In tactical terms, the vehicle has enough electrical energy to run for some distance on pure electric power, allowing for silent run ups. (The Volt is designed to run for 40 miles on batteries alone before the engine kicks in).

An interesting mid term development.

Arthur, back in 1999 I read "Powering the Future" by Tom Koppel.  It was about "The Ballard Fuel Cell and the Race to Change the World".  Geoffrey Ballard got his start in Fuel Cells in 1983.  Before that he was working on other concepts. He switched because the other concepts needed R&D and he had been working on them since 1975.

The earlier concept? Lithium batteries........Just a little more R&D needed. >:D

Some people turn solutions into problems:

http://www.herald-review.com/articles/2007/03/01/news/local_news/1021491.txt

State makes big fuss over local couple's vegetable oil car fuel 
By HUEY FREEMAN - H&R Staff Writer
DECATUR - David and Eileen Wetzel don't get going in the morning quite as early as they used to.

So David Wetzel, 79, was surprised to hear a knock on the door at their eastside home while he was still getting dressed.

Two men in suits were standing on his porch.

"They showed me their badges and said they were from the Illinois Department of Revenue," Wetzel said. "I said, 'Come in.' Maybe I shouldn't have."

Gary May introduced himself as a special agent. The other man, John Egan, was introduced as his colleague. May gave the Wetzels his card, stating that he is the senior agent in the bureau of criminal investigations.

"I was afraid," Eileen Wetzel said. "I came out of the bathroom. I thought: Good God, we paid our taxes. The check didn't bounce."

The agents informed the Wetzels that they were interested in their car, a 1986 Volkswagen Golf, that David Wetzel converted to run primarily from vegetable oil but also partly on diesel.

Wetzel uses recycled vegetable oil, which he picks up weekly from an organization that uses it for frying food at its dining facility.

"They told me I am required to have a license and am obligated to pay a motor fuel tax," David Wetzel recalled. "Mr. May also told me the tax would be retroactive."

Since the initial visit by the agents on Jan. 4, the Wetzels have been involved in a struggle with the Illinois Department of Revenue. The couple, who live on a fixed budget, have been asked to post a $2,500 bond and threatened with felony charges.

State legislators have rallied to help the Wetzels.

State Sen. Frank Watson, R-Greenville, introduced Senate Bill 267, which would curtail government interference regarding alternative fuels, such as vegetable oil. A public hearing on the bill will be at 1 p.m. today in Room 400 of the state Capitol.

"I would agree that the bond is not acceptable, $2,500 bond," Watson said, adding that David Wetzel should be commended for his innovative efforts. "(His car) gets 46 miles per gallon running on vegetable oil. We all should be thinking about doing without gasoline if we're trying to end foreign dependency.

"I think it's inappropriate of state dollars to send two people to Mr. Wetzel's home to do this. They could have done with a more friendly approach. It could have been done on the phone. To use an intimidation factor on this - who is he harming? Two revenue agents. You'd think there's a better use of their time," Watson said.

The Wetzels, who plan to speak at a Senate hearing in Springfield today, recalled how their struggle with the revenue department unfolded.

According to the Wetzels, May told them during his Jan. 4 visit that they would have to pay taxes at either the gasoline rate of 19½ cents per gallon or the diesel rate of 21½ cents per gallon.

A retired research chemist and food plant manager, Wetzel produced records showing he has used 1,134.6 gallons of vegetable oil from 2002 to 2006. At the higher rate, the tax bill would come to $244.24.

"That averages out to $4.07 a month," Wetzel noted, adding he is willing to pay that bill.

But the Wetzels would discover that the state had more complicated and costly requirements for them to continue to use their "veggie mobile."

David Wetzel was told to contact a revenue official and apply for a license as a "special fuel supplier" and "receiver." After completing a complicated application form designed for businesses, David Wetzel was sent a letter directing him to send in a $2,500 bond.

Eileen Wetzel, a former teaching assistant, calculated that the bond, designed to ensure that their "business" pays its taxes, would cover the next 51 years at their present usage rate.

A couple of weeks later, David Wetzel received another letter from the revenue department, stating that he "must immediately stop operating as a special fuel supplier and receiver until you receive special fuel supplier and receiver licenses."

This threatening letter stated that acting as a supplier and receiver without a license is a Class 3 felony. This class of felonies carries a penalty of up to five years in prison.

On the department of revenue's Web site, David Wetzel discovered that the definition of special fuel supplier includes someone who operates a plant with an "active bulk storage capacity of not less than 30,000 gallons." Wetzel also did not fit the definition of a receiver, described as a person who produces, distributes or transports fuel into the state. So Wetzel withdrew his application to become a supplier and receiver.

Mike Klemens, spokesman for the department of revenue, explained that Wetzel has to register as a supplier because the law states that is the only way he can pay motor fuel tax.

But what if he is not, in fact, a supplier? Then would he instead be exempt from paying the tax?

"We are in the process of creating a way to simplify the registration process and self-assess the tax," Klemens said, adding that a rule change may be in place by spring.

David Wetzel wonders why hybrid cars, which rely on electricity and gasoline, are not taxed for the portion of travel when they are running on electrical power. He said he wants to be treated equally by the law.

David Wetzel, who has been exhibiting his car at energy fairs and universities, views state policies as contradicting stated government aims.

"You hear the president saying we need to reduce our dependence on foreign oil," Wetzel said. "You hear the governor saying that."

State Rep. Bob Flider, D-Mount Zion, also plans to support legislation favoring alternative fuels.

"I'm disappointed that the Illinois Department of Revenue would go after Mr. Wetzel," Flider said. "I don't think it is a situation that merits him being licensed and paying fees.

"The people at the department of revenue apparently feel they need to regulate him in some way. We want to make sure that he is as free as he can be to use vegetable oil. He's an example of ingenuity. Instead of being whacked on the head, he should be encouraged."

Huey Freeman can be reached at hfreeman@herald-review.com or 421-6985.

Don't be surprised if strange things happen with your Lithium Ion batteries:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/battery_pr.html

Building a Better Battery
They run out of juice – or burst into flames – at exactly the wrong time. Can't anyone make a battery that doesn't suck?
By John Hockenberry

ON A HOT JULY DAY AT A FOOD PACKAGING COMPANY in Vernon Hills, Illinois, Henrik Gustavsson sat at his workstation tweaking electrical drawings for an industrial juice-making machine. He looked up and noticed an odd haze at the far end of the office. A coworker shouted, "Hey, there's a fire!" Gustavsson rushed over to join the crowd gathering around a Dell Latitude laptop sitting on a desk in its docking station. "There was smoke coming out of the sides," the 26-year-old engineer recalls. "As I got close it actually started popping, and a flame shot straight up into the air." To Gustavsson, the closed, burning laptop looked like an overheated George Foreman grill. It smelled horrible – not surprising, since it was cooking up an LCD-keyboard-melt sandwich.

Gustavsson snapped some photos as colleagues sprayed the burning Dell with foam from a fire extinguisher. "That thing did not want to go out," he says. "We had to zap it three or four times." They then carefully carried the laptop out to the front sidewalk and waited for the fire department to arrive. When nobody was looking, Gustavsson pried the smoldering, melted carcass open to find a 5‑inch hole where the lithium-ion battery had been. "It was pretty awesome," he says. That night, he posted his pictures to the nerdy Web site Tom's Hardware. The images received more than 80,000 hits over the next week.

It was a long, hot summer for lithium-ion batteries this year. Stories of Dell laptops spontaneously combusting dominated tech news. One computer set fire to a Ford pickup in Nevada; another ignited in the overhead compartment of a Lufthansa flight as it sat on the tarmac at Chicago's O'Hare airport. A video of a Dell that exploded spectacularly during a business meeting in Osaka began making the rounds on the Internet. In mid-August, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission announced that Dell had agreed to recall 4.1 million Li-ion batteries – the largest battery recall in history. Nine days later, Apple asked its users to return 1.8 million more Li-ion packs. Then, in September, Toshiba recalled 340,000 batteries. Sony, which manufactured the batteries for all three companies, will spend an estimated $250 million replacing them.

The technical term for these bizarre incidents is thermal runaway. It occurs when the touchy elements inside a Li-ion battery heat up to the point where the internal reaction accelerates, creating even more heat. A sort of mini China Syndrome of increasing temperature builds until something must give. In the case of a laptop flameout, the chemicals break out of their metal casing. Because lithium ignites when it makes contact with the moisture in the air, the battery bursts into flame.

Exploding notebook computers are, of course, extremely rare. There are just a handful of documented cases, even though an estimated 1.8 billion Li-ion cells are in circulation. Sony claims the latest conflagrations were caused in part by trace amounts of metal accidentally left inside the batteries during the manufacturing process. The company adds that problems are also caused by laptop makers placing batteries too close to internal heat sources like CPU chips.

But such technical excuses sidestep the fact that flammability and heat intolerance are long-standing problems that have plagued Li-ion batteries since they were invented almost 30 years ago. And as devices have gotten smaller in size but richer in features, things have only worsened. Forced to produce more energy in less space, Li-ions die faster (as early iPod owners found when their batteries wore out long before their players did), and their propensity for thermal runaway greatly increases.

Lithium-ion technology may be approaching its limits. Batteries conform to technical restrictions set by nature and don't obey Moore's law like most of the digital world. In the last 150 years, battery performance has improved only about eightfold (or less, depending how it's measured). The speed and capacity of silicon chips, of course, improves that much every six years. "Li-ion is an extremely mature technology, and all of the problems are known by everybody," says Art Ramirez, the chief of device physics at Bell Labs. "They aren't going to change."

If Li-ion technology is at, or even near, its maximum potential, gadget makers (and users) are in trouble. Li-ion – with its high power, fast recharge times, and steady voltage – is the best battery the consumer electronics industry has. It powered the 50 million laptops, 800 million cell phones, and 80 million digital cameras sold in 2005. If the technology stagnates without a viable replacement, so will every kind of portable device, from ThinkPads to Game Boys.

So the hunt is on for a better battery. And it's just not the usual Asian giants – Sanyo, Sony, Toshiba – on the prowl. Tyco, Lucent, Intel, and venture capital firms like Draper Fisher Jurvetson are among those pumping millions of R&D dollars into battery startups and research labs. Of course, kicking the lithium habit won't be easy. Possible successors like fuel cells have been heralded for decades, but design, implementation, and cost issues have prevented them from reaching our Nokias and MacBooks. Yet, to get the juice they need, gadgets will almost certainly require something totally new. We'll need more than just better batteries; we'll need to rethink the way all portable electronics are designed and made.

IN THE MID-1800S, French inventor Raymond Gaston Planté created the first rechargeable battery, a combination of sulfuric acid and strips of lead foil.

People thought of Planté's creation as a "box of electricity" or an electric fuel tank. It's an analogy we make to this day: The scientific symbol for a battery is still a fuel-tank-like box. But the metaphor is not apt. You don't fill a battery with electrons that are sucked out later, only to be replaced ("Fill 'er up.") with more electrons. A battery is more like a complicated and finicky chemical pump that exploits what happens when certain materials (mostly metals) are placed together in an electrolyte solution. All batteries – watch, flashlight, cell phone, car – work basically the same way. Negatively charged electrons are chemically stolen from a metal anode and flow rather desperately toward a positively charged metal cathode at the other end of the circuit. Voltage is a measure of the force pushing the electrons from pole to pole, while current is the number of electrons speeding by a given point. Together these attributes establish the power of a battery. Current can be altered by changing a battery's size, but voltage is determined (and fixed) by the atomic makeup of the materials used. Those attributes, recorded in the good old periodic table of elements, were configured shortly after the big bang and are not subject to clever human modifications.

The first widely produced batteries were lead acid. Used in early cars, they got the automobile to start as reliably as the horse. By the 1960s, engineers had developed lighter, single-use alkaline and mercury batteries, making portable transistor radios and two-way communication devices possible. In the 1980s, compact rechargeable batteries were developed using nickel and cadmium. Originally used by the military and NASA, NiCads eventually reached the consumer market, giving us video cameras, the first laptops, and cordless power tools. The power cells were reliable but suffered from an annoying glitch dubbed the memory effect: If users didn't fully charge the batteries on initial use, the cells could "remember" only their original partial charge. This was fixed by the development of nickel metal hydride. NiMH packed more power, had less memory effect than NiCads, and recharged faster.

Scientists long knew that lithium would make an excellent anode. Most battery chemical combinations deliver 1.2 to 2 volts. But when paired with the right cathode, lithium atoms practically spew electrons, delivering the highest nominal voltage of any element in the periodic table: 3.6 volts per cell. (Multiple low-voltage cells can be strung together to achieve the same punch – that's how you get 9-volt batteries – but this adds weight and bulk.) Lithium tends to explode on contact with air, however, which made research difficult. In the 1970s, a US scientist with the ironic name John Goodenough (batteries never are) finally figured out how to tap the electron potential of lithium: Combine it with cobalt. Then all it took was a manufacturer willing to spend the money required to safely mass-produce the new batteries. Sony grabbed the opportunity in the '80s, producing a rechargeable lithium-ion pack for a video camera. These batteries were the first rechargeable cells to exceed the energy of single-use alkalines. They had no memory effect, four times the energy of NiCads, and twice the energy of nickel-metal-hydride cells. A new era had begun.

Throughout the '90s, Li-ions enabled a host of advances. Laptops could be made lighter and were able to power backlit screens and bigger hard drives. Cell phones could be smaller. The MP3 player was born. But these new devices hungered for more and more power. While a flashlight or a car starter places simple demands on a battery, powering a computer or camcorder is much more complicated. These devices contain dozens or even hundreds of individual components, and LCD screens have different voltage and current needs than, say, hard drives or Wi-Fi chips. So voltages are stepped up or down using transformers and other circuits, resulting in enormous losses in efficiency. The more complex a device, the harder the battery has to work.

Furthermore, because digital calculations require steady voltages to maintain memory, power fluctuations can be disastrous. So modern batteries are designed to operate in a narrow range where they can deliver constant output. To keep voltage steady and at effective levels, a battery must be packed with lots of extra power. There's really no such thing as a dead battery anymore; even when a cell registers empty, it still has plenty of juice in it – just none in the usable range. Battery-industry veteran Mike Mahan puts it this way: "It's like you have a 20-gallon tank and you can use only 5 gallons, but you still have to drive around with 15 gallons anyway."

Squeezing enough power into compact Li-ion cells to deal with these issues requires serious safety equipment. Today, most Li-ion cells contain at least two – and sometimes three – separate countermeasures to keep the reaction from getting out of control. According to Glen Wensley, chief polymer chemist at batterymaker Solicore, these safeguards can represent as much as 30 percent of the engineering and perhaps half the cost of a standard lithium-ion battery. "It's an extremely unstable system, and so you need a voltage limiter, a current fuse, and a third safety system, which is actually internal to the battery. It's called a separator, which physically separates the battery to prevent thermal runaway." The first two systems keep the battery from overcharging or over-discharging. The third is a kill switch: All batteries have a porous separator between the anode and cathode to keep the reaction from happening too quickly. In most Li-ion cells this component completely solidifies if it gets too hot. It's a kind of electrical suicide that destroys the battery to cool it down. These defenses are one reason that thermal runaway is extremely rare.

FLAMING LAPTOPS may be dramatic, but to Sony they are mostly a PR headache. The company's main concern is still squeezing more power out of smaller Li-ion battery packs. Case in point: the company's ultraslim family of digital cameras. Product designers managed to cram an advanced imaging sensor, processor, and LCD into a 0.9-inch-thick shell. And the battery? "One of the most difficult things about that camera was the damn battery," says Mike Kahn, a senior product manager at Sony. "It had to be thin, and it had to be powerful." Eventually, Sony solved the problem by giving the battery its own chip. "The battery constantly talks with the processor to minimize power use and avoid waste," Kahn says.

Sony sees its success with cameras as a sign that lithium-ion technology still has more than a little life left in it. Last year, Sony unveiled the Nexelion, a so-called lithium hybrid that pairs lithium with tin for the first time and claims a 30 percent capacity increase over previous lithium-ion cells. The batteries were first offered in new Sony Handycams last summer. Keeping pace, Toshiba also announced a higher-powered Li-ion battery last year.

These improvements, however, won't really keep up with consumer demand for more power. Nowhere is this more apparent than in laptops. "The industry wants dual-core processors and an eight-hour run time with no increase in size and weight," says Valence Technology's Jim Akridge. "It doesn't look like that's going to happen."

One way to keep up with power demands is to go back to the periodic table. Lithium offers the highest voltage of any element, but lower-voltage metals don't explode and may ultimately be able to hold more power. Among the companies betting on tamer elements is Zinc Matrix, a startup run by Ross Dueber – a former Air Force major who used to design advanced nickel-cadmium batteries for the military's Strategic Defense Initiative.

Dueber and his team have come up with a power cell that runs on silver and zinc and uses stable, nontoxic water as an electrolyte. The company claims it has solved manufacturing difficulties associated with previous silver-zinc efforts and boasts that its cell offers a 50 percent increase in run time over lithium ion, with none of the safety issues. But because silver-zinc has a lower voltage, these batteries must pack lots of cells together to achieve the industry standard of 3.6 volts. This makes the batteries heavy – a serious drawback. Dueber's plan for overcoming this is to convince devicemakers to retool their products to run at lower voltages. "Our first battery will simulate lithium ion, but eventually we hope to be designed into the future," he says.

In September, Zinc Matrix demonstrated a six-hour prototype for an Intel-based laptop. If all goes well, Dueber says, that battery could be on the market by the end of next year. Among those funding the effort are Tyco Electronics and Intel. Dueber says he has received about $36 million to date.

At best, though, Dueber's battery is only a sort of electrochemical methadone – same addiction, just slightly longer-lasting, with no flameout. No matter how much the industry toys with a single box of electrons, it will eventually encounter the same predictable roadblocks: too many components demanding too much power for any one battery. That's why Solicore decided to think small.

Based in Lakeland, Florida, Solicore is developing Li-ion batteries in ultracompact forms that can sneak into places batteries have never gone before. This might allow Solicore's cells to act as secondary batteries in a device. For example, one could be slipped behind a laptop's screen, where it would power just the backlight, taking some of the load off the main battery. To make such versatile Li-ion cells, Solicore has developed a new type of lithium polymer.

Lithium-polymer batteries use an advanced gel rather than a liquid to separate the cell's positive and negative poles. Solicore's proprietary polymer restricts electron flow so it can't be disrupted by heat or even a violent blow from a hammer, which means the batteries won't get caught in a thermal runaway cycle. This lets engineers make batteries without standard safety features, which means they can be made in virtually any shape or thickness. Some of the early models are as thin as sheets of paper, essentially printed and cut like credit cards. In fact, they are already being used to power a new breed of smartcards, which come with their own onboard display and may someday even have wireless capability. Solicore is working with Visa and others to bring the cards to market next year.

STANDING AMONG THE VOLT meters, electrical wiring, and beakers full of various electrolytes in his Bell Labs research facility, physicist Tom Krupenkin holds a partially etched disc of silicon. Nearly all of its surface is empty. In one corner, there's a micron-scale pattern of posts that, under a microscope, looks like a hyper-orderly lawn. It's called nanograss.

Krupenkin, a Russian-born scientist with PhDs in materials science and in physics, is one of a growing number of researchers who think consumers and gadgetmakers need to take a more radical approach to battery design. In his eyes, playing around with new chemistry or mysterious polymer goop won't deliver the kind of exponential growth the industry needs. "In the traditional battery world, there is nothing new anymore," Krupenkin says. "There has to be a different way to think about these devices, different processes brought to bear."

Krupenkin thinks he has found such a process – something that will be more than just a quick fix. Instead of sealing an unstable reaction in a big box, he and his team – a combination of Bell Labs scientists and researchers at a startup called mPhase Technologies – are designing tiny batteries out of nanograss that can be turned on and off chemically. Such precise control, they argue, would let them take the idea of multiple batteries a step further. Krupenkin's vision is that future gadgets would behave like biological systems, in which cells carry their own power instead of relying on a single primary energy source for the whole organism.

Nanograss, Krupenkin explains, is superhydrophobic, or massively water resistant. Fluids deposited on the tiny silicon posts are practically frictionless. A droplet of water remains spherical on the nanograss. But when Krupenkin applies an electric charge between the droplet and the silicon, the droplet disappears. The current has disrupted the water's surface tension, causing it to fall into the nanograss, where it's held firm by the tiny posts. Krupenkin calls this "electrowetting." Apply another tiny current across the conductor and the water molecules heat up, causing the droplet to rise back to the top of the nanograss, where surface tension once again keeps it in a nearly perfect sphere.

The idea is to marshal this electrowetting to fine-tune a battery's internal reaction – regardless of what the battery is made of. The nanograss would hold a battery's electrolyte away from the reactive metal when no power is needed, then release it when it's time to turn on. This type of structure would free device manufacturers to distribute fields of tiny batteries deep into their products. Components could pop on and go to sleep as needed. Rechargeable nanograss would be controlled by the microprocessor, which would manage exactly how much power each system needs. And because each component would have its own power bank, the built-in inefficiencies of the single-voltage, single-power design would vanish, driving down costs and potentially increasing battery life by an order of magnitude for the first time in 100 years.

The problem is that product makers would have to retool and redesign almost all their devices to take advantage of these minute, chip-controlled batteries. It's a hurdle that Krupenkin and his team know could take years to get over. But they also know that sooner or later, gadgetmakers will want more than lithium-ion batterymakers can provide. As Bell Labs' Ramirez puts it, current battery problems point to the end of the "silicon road map." As computers shrink to the molecular level, the whole architecture of portable devices needs to change. "The end of the silicon road map will show that there have to be other ways of doing things. At some point, it will become economically viable to invest in radical new strategies," he says. Sooner or later, solutions like nanograss are going to look awfully good.

A hundred years ago, just down the road from Krupenkin's lab in northern New Jersey, Thomas Edison struggled to mass-produce batteries that would be safe and reliable. Reportedly, he was so stymied by uncooperative chemistry that he once asked a psychic to tell him the best chemistry for a storage battery. In a prickly comment to a colleague at General Electric in 1900, he said, "I don't think nature would be so unkind as to withhold the secret of a good storage battery if a real earnest hunt for it is made. I'm going to hunt."

The hunt is still on.

Here is an idea for extracting some of the heat energy which is mostly wasted in internal combustion engines. There is a lot of R&D to do to make this idea work (or we could build cheap "throw away" engines for this purpose); interesting thinking:

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/technology/c1609351d9092110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

INVENTION AWARDS
Six Strokes of Genius

Dan Carney

Name: Steam-o-Lene Engine
Inventor: Bruce Crower
Cost to Develop: $1,000
Time: 1.5 years
Prototype | | | | | Product

Bruce Crower's Southern California auto-racing parts shop is a temple for racecar mechanics. Here's the flat eight-cylinder Indycar engine that won him the 1977 Louis Schwitzer Award for racecar design. There's the Mercedes five-cylinder engine he converted into a squealing supercharged two-stroke, just "to see what it would sound like," says the now half-deaf 77-year-old self-taught engineer.

Crower has spent a lifetime eking more power out of every drop of fuel to make cars go faster. Now he's using the same approach to make them go farther, with a radical six-stroke engine that tops off the familiar four-stroke internal-combustion process with two extra strokes of old-fashioned steam power.

A typical engine wastes three quarters of its energy as heat. Crower's prototype, the single-cylinder diesel eight-horsepower Steam-o-Lene engine, uses that heat to make steam and recapture some of the lost energy. It runs like a conventional four-stroke combustion engine through each of the typical up-and-down movements of the piston (intake, compression, power or combustion, exhaust). But just as the engine finishes its fourth stroke, water squirts into the cylinder, hitting surfaces as hot as 1,500°F. The water immediately evaporates into steam, generating a 1,600-fold expansion in volume and driving the piston down to create an additional power stroke. The upward sixth stroke exhausts the steam to a condenser, where it is recycled into injection water.

Crower calculates that the Steam-o-Lene boosts the work it gets from a gallon of gas by 40 percent over conventional engines. Diesels, which are already more efficient, might get another 5 percent. And his engine does it with hardware that already exists, so there's no waiting for technologies to mature, as with electric cars or fuel cells.

"Crower is an innovator who tries new ideas based on his experience and gut instincts," says John Coletti, the retired head of Ford's SVT high-performance group. "Most people won't try something new for fear of failure, but he is driven by a need to succeed." And he just might. Crower has been keeping the details of his system quiet, waiting for a response to his patent application. When he gets it, he'll pass off the development process to a larger company that can run with it, full-steam.

Copyright © 2005 Popular Science

My first concern with that one would be the effect of the repeated rapid cooling on the structural integrity of the piston, block and head.  Life expectancy of those would seem to be likely to be shorter and the prospect of catastrophic failure that much more interesting.

PS - on a side note - have already run some numbers on a Double Double fuelled idea.  Still running numbers.  Enjoy the rides.

Kirkhill said:
My first concern with that one would be the effect of the repeated rapid cooling on the structural integrity of the piston, block and head.  Life expectancy of those would seem to be likely to be shorter and the prospect of catastrophic failure that much more interesting.

I can think of all kinds of other things which would go wrong as well (there are very sound reasons that cooling water is firmly excluded from the inside of the engine), but I can also think of some situations where a cheap engine with a limited life would serve a purpose, for example in a UAV or a race car. Most cars are owned for five years or less by one owner, and except for cars that are constantly cared for, most cars don't make it past their 10th birthday, while their engines can last for many decades. An engine which only lasts 5-10 years makes a certain amount of sense for the civi car market, as much as collecters might hate it.

Like I said, a very interesting idea and worth putting R&D money into.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6840290.html

Here's a reference to another system for burning water in an internal combustion engine.  Mix the water and the fuel and add an emulsifier.  It would take away the thermal shock.

I saw something about this on the telly some months previous when the price of gas first went up over the $1.00/l.  Apparently the "inventor" (I don't know if it was the holder of this patent) was getting a lot of legitimate interest.

I guess the idea is similar - the entrained water will expand when the fuel ignites adding pressure?

It does seem similar, the only difference being the steam generation takes place at the same time as combustion. On the other hand, it dosn't really extract the "waste" energy from the engine the way the "six cycle" idea does.

Thinking back, BMW proposed a steam system as well, but it used engine heat to drive a separate steam engine, which results in dead weight, time lag while the water is heating up and would probably be more of a hinderance in stop and go city driving: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37017/post-312914.html#msg312914

I will observe this development with interest. It may fall victim to other forces (there was a buzz in the early to mid 1990's that 2 cycle engines might become prime movers since they have a much higher theoretical efficiency, but nothing ever came of that either....), or we might see it crop up in unexpected places.

It seems that there are some "back to the future" ideas that could be adapted to transportation. In the 1940's turbochargers were introduced to increase power output in aircraft by drawing on the waste energy in the exhaust to power a compressor. It occured to some designers that there was a lot of energy in the exhaust, and the energy spinning the turbine could be sent to the drive shaft and used to directly power the propeller as well.

While it wasn't quite that simple, "turbo-compound" engines did get developed and entered service after WW II (most notably in the "Super Constellation" aircraft) until superceded by jet engines. Now that there is a long development of turbochargers for car and truck engines, it seems possible to extend the concept of turbo compounding by using the turbine to extract exhaust energy and feed it back to the transmission. This uses well known existing technology in a somewhat new way, is available to the driver at almost all speeds and minimizes dead weight in the vehicle.

More long term difficulties ahead. You can do withut an SUV, but going without food is much more difficult. China, with far less arible land and far more people than North America will be hard hit indeed.

http://www.victorhanson.com/articles/hanson070207.html

July 2, 2007
The Impending Food Fight
by Victor Davis Hanson
Tribune Media Services

While we worry about gas prices, the costs of milk, meat and fresh produce silently skyrockets. So like the end of cheap energy, is the era of cheap food also finally over?

Since the farm depression of the early 1980s — remember the first Farm Aid concert in 1985 — farmers have gone broke in droves from cheap commodity prices. The public shrugged, happy enough to get inexpensive food. Globalization saw increased world acreage planted and farmed under Western methods of efficient production. And that brought into the United States even more plentiful imported food.

Continued leaps in agricultural technology ensured more production per acre. The result was likewise predictable: the same old food surpluses and low prices. My late parents, who owned the farm I now live on in central California, used to sigh that the planet was reaching 6 billion mouths and so things someday "would have to turn around for farmers."

Now they apparently have. Food prices are climbing at rates approaching 10 percent per year. But why the sudden change?

There have been a number of relatively recent radical changes in the United States and the world that, taken together, provide the answer:

Modern high-tech farming is energy intensive. So recent huge price increases in diesel fuel and petroleum-based fertilizers and chemicals have been passed on to the consumer.

The public furor over illegal immigration has, despite all the government inaction, still translated into some increased border security. And with more vigilance, fewer illegal aliens are crossing the border to work in labor-intensive crops like fresh fruits and vegetables.

The U.S. population still increases while suburbanization continues. The sprawl of housing tracts, edge cities and shopping centers insidiously gobbles up prime farmland at the rate of hundreds of thousands of acres per year.

In turn, in the West periodic droughts and competition from growing suburbs have made water for farming scarcer, more expensive — and sometimes unavailable.

On the world scene, 2 billion Indians and Chinese are enjoying the greatest material improvement in their nations' histories — and their improved diets mean more food consumed than ever before.

The result is that global food supplies are also tightening up, both at home and abroad. America has become a net food importer. We seem to have developed a new refined taste for foreign wines, cheeses and fresh winter fruits even as we are consuming more of our corn, wheat, soybeans and dairy products at home.

Now comes the biofuels movement. For a variety of reasons, ranging from an attempt to become less dependent on foreign oil to a desire for cleaner fuels, millions of acres of farmland are being redirected to corn-based ethanol.

If hundreds of planned new ethanol refineries are built, the U.S. could very shortly be producing around 30 billion gallons of corn-based fuel per year, using one of every four acres planted to corn for fuel. This dilemma of food or fuel is also appearing elsewhere in the world as Europeans and South Americans begin redirecting food acreages to corn-, soy-, or sugar- based biofuels.

Corn prices in America have spiked. And since corn is also a prime ingredient for animal feeds and sweeteners, prices likewise are rising for poultry, beef and everything from soft drinks to candy.

There is currently more corn acreage - about 90 million acres are predicted this year — than at any time in the nation's last half-century. But today's total farm acreage is either static or shrinking; land for biofuels is usually taken from wheat, soybeans or cotton, ensuring those supplies grow tight as well.

In the past, the genius of our farmers and the mind-boggling innovation of American agribusiness meant that farm production periodically doubled. Indeed, today we are producing far more food on far fewer acres than ever before.

But we are nearing the limits of further efficiency — especially when such past amazing leaps in production relied on once-cheap petro-chemicals, fuels and fertilizers.

As in the case of oil, we've gone through these sudden farm price spikes before. My grandfather once told me that in some 70 years of boom-and-bust farming he only made money during World Wars I and II, and the late 1960s.

But this latest round of high food prices seems coupled to energy shortages, and so won't go away anytime soon. That raises questions critical to the very security of this nation, which may have to import as many agricultural commodities as it does energy — and find a way to pay for both.

The American consumer lifestyle took off thanks to low-cost fuel and food. Once families could drive and eat cheaply, they had plenty of disposable income for housing and consumer goods.

But if they can't do either anymore, how angry will they get as they buy less and pay more for the very staples of life?

©2007 Tribune Media Services

Back