• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Blog Link About Toxic Leadership

Here's my my blog article on toxic leadership. I'd like to know if some of you experienced/witnessed toxic leadership when in uniform. Toxic Leadership in the CAF
Other than a single quote from a friend who deployed to Afghanistan (and you never actually said that that friend was a Canadian solider), there is not a single reference to any examples of toxic leadership in the CAF. You don't even make a simple claim that there is toxic leadership in the CAF in general, nor do you provide an example of such leadership in the CAF.

So while I don't challenge the accuracy of the content of the post itself, why the heck are you calling it "Toxic Leadership in the CAF" when you make no assertions, overtures, or even insinuations within the blog that there is toxic leadership in the CAF?

Just change the title to "Types of Toxic Leadership"; keep the CAF out of it unless you are going to pony-up.

Other than a single quote from a friend who deployed to Afghanistan (and you never actually said that that friend was a Canadian solider), there is not a single reference to any examples of toxic leadership in the CAF. You don't even make a simple claim that there is toxic leadership in the CAF in general, nor do you provide an example of such leadership in the CAF.

So while I don't challenge the accuracy of the content of the post itself, why the heck are you calling it "Toxic Leadership in the CAF" when you make no assertions, overtures, or even insinuations within the blog that there is toxic leadership in the CAF?

Just change the title to "Types of Toxic Leadership"; keep the CAF out of it unless you are going to pony-up.
Because, it is spam.

Ok so if I provide examples guess what people will say: he wants revenge. I bet you've seen countless exemples of toxic leadership in your time in uniform, you don't need an example to figure it out. And yes, both people quoted are Canadian soldiers, that goes without saying.

Ok so if I provide examples guess what people will say: he wants revenge. I bet you've seen countless exemples of toxic leadership in your time in uniform, you don't need an example to figure it out. And yes, both people quoted are Canadian soldiers, that goes without saying.
So, what is the point?

What you have done is intellectually lazy and morally suspect.

Ok Mr. Editor that's a great lesson in writing you're giving me. Many thanks.

It's not hard to see why Army.ca has a reputation...

That said, a first post coming out with a link and no discussion of the topic in the forum itself sets off alarm bells.

@ericsauve2, if your intent is to engage on the forum, I suggest engaging in a few threads, express some thoughtful opinions or useful experiences, essentially build your street cred here.

It's not hard to see why Army.ca has a reputation...

That said, a first post coming out with a link and no discussion of the topic in the forum itself sets off alarm bells.

@ericsauve2, if your intent is to engage on the forum, I suggest engaging in a few threads, express some thoughtful opinions or useful experiences, essentially build your street cred here.
It is obviously my first time on this platform. Judging on the replies I got it's probably my last as well!

It is obviously my first time on this platform. Judging on the replies I got it's probably my last as well!
This is why I suggest engaging in other threads. People came out hard because you posted a link to an external blog that covers a "hot button" topic as a first post.

It's a great place overall, but like many social circles you need to ease your way in.

I changed the title of this thread as it was totally misleading to the point of clickbait.
I "talked to a friend" is nowhere near professionally constructed enough to bear the title it bore.

Bruce
army.ca Staff

I changed the title of this thread as it was totally misleading to the point of clickbait.
I "talked to a friend" is nowhere near professionally constructed enough to bear the title it bore.

Bruce
army.ca Staff
Did you read the article?

I sincerely don't know what you're referring to when you write "I talked to a friend". I actually interviewed about 15 individuals to write this, including 3 GOFOs, one of which was a former VCDS. The article has been peer reviewed by multiple people. But clearly, a little controversy is unacceptable on this social network so you won't see other articles from me here. Not to worry for you as an editor. You do what you want with the title, the thread, my participation in this chat, I couldn't care less.

I sincerely don't know what you're referring to when you write "I talked to a friend". I actually interviewed about 15 individuals to write this, including 3 GOFOs, one of which was a former VCDS. The article has been peer reviewed by multiple people. But clearly, a little controversy is unacceptable on this social network so you won't see other articles from me here. Not to worry for you as an editor. You do what you want with the title, the thread, my participation in this chat, I couldn't care less.
Its an OK article on 'toxic leadership', it's not an article on 'Toxic Leadership in the CAF". Big difference.....

And 15 people out of thousands and thousands? Pretty tiny sample size.

I read the whole thing. It's clickbait. Your title implies that there is toxic leadership in the CAF, but with the exception of one quote from a friend of yours, you provide no other examples of toxic leadership in the CAF. You do a good job of describing different types of toxic leadership, but at no time do you actually then say or demonstrate that those toxic leadership types exist within the forces.

It would be like me writing a blog post with the title "The Best Donair in Halifax", but then writing nothing but a description of different types of Donairs, and what makes a good Donair.

Donairs?? I'd slice my finger for a Greco Donair......as long as they're as good as they were in the 80's. :p

Its an OK article on 'toxic leadership', it's not an article on 'Toxic Leadership in the CAF". Big difference.....

And 15 people out of thousands and thousands? Pretty tiny sample size.
You know you're funny when you say (only) 15 out of thousands and thousands, because I can't see how someone could possibly interview the entire CAF... I mean, I have a day job after all. But, if you think I'm the only one who believes there is toxic leadership in the CAF, I encourage you to listen to what the top CWO of the CAF had to say just last April. Forget about what Scott Taylor says and go directly to 1:40. Here's someone who's head is not buried in the sand.

Back