• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

$8 Billion Surplus to be announced

Another 9 Billion Dollar Surplus. Where Should It Go?

• The Armed Forces

Votes: 46 76.7%
  • Dept Repayment

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • Tax Relief

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Child Care

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Equalization

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Transfer Payments

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
President Bush has shown the way; steep tax cuts revitalize the economy. This will increase the tax revenues in the long run, and reduce unemployment. Put that $8 billion against the debt, and cut taxes (and spending) by $16 Billion next year, and the year after. If you don't like Bush, the same formula has been applied, with the same results in Ireland, Singapore, South Korea, Tiawan, the United States during the Reagan years, the UK in the Thatcher years and so on.

A strong and vibrant economy will have benefits for us (1.1 percent of a rising GDP still means more money for defense).

Have to give the Liberals a bit of credit here.  Hard to do, but here's why.  Canada's debt is about half a trillion dollars now, about 50% of GDP.  It was previously up to $60.  If you have a mortgage, you know that it's very difficult to get one when your debt/income hits 40%.  The Liberals official policy goal is a debt ratio of 25%, which seems consistent with steady state social programs, education, health care and retirement.  A sort of life cycle assessment for a nation.  The CPP is on sound footing, although we hate almost 10% going to it.  Other countries have studied it in terms of successful sustainability. 

The catch is that very soon we will have 3 workers/retiree, not the current 5/1.  Although CPP will be stable, health care is covered from pay as you go revenues and will not be going down.  So, although they've lied to us again, the Liberals may actually have an idea that works.  If only they can stay the course.

The people I have problems with are the provinces and lib-left complex thinking that this is their 'mad money'.

I strongly believe we need to promote the Federal Government in the province of Quebec. I propose that the government use the money to sponsor various events in the province. I think also that this is probably best done with the cooperation and coordination of the private sector- ie marketing companies.

The Gun registry in nearly complete. I am sure that a couple more billion dollars into this program will give law enforcement officials the tools to fight crime.

I am a huge fan of advant guard Canadian independent film. I think a half billion bucks supporting Canadian film makers is a great way to elevate the national discourse. More films like "The Milkman"need to be sponsored by the Canadian government and shown on CBC. "This unique and touching story brings together two unlikely individuals: a middle-aged, obese, gay milkman and a teenaged, skinny, horny boy. Both come to share love at its most basic level; a love that both nourishes and sustains life."
http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:4GEeS_MiTmoJ:www.zed.cbc.ca/go.ZeD%3FCONTENT_ID%3D188%26page%3Dcontent+%22The+Milkman%22+%22ZED+tv%22+CBC+&hl=en

I think we should celebrate and reward some of these artists. Like the performance artist who once lay naked in a shallow grave with a vial of his own blood dribbling out of his anus who won of one of Canada's most prestigious visual arts awards this year.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/stories/govgenart030304

A couple more billion dollars into a state run child day care system seems like a great initiative. I like the idea of government taking responsibility for my child early development, and I am confident that the bureaucrats in Ottawa/Hull have a handle on implementing this program within its tight budget and scope confinds.

I would like to thank you for this opportunity to share my thoughts. Now, can somebody help me find my medication.

Bograt,

Thanks...now i have to spend the day in the nav sim bent in half laughing !!!

Some kind of posting snafu, don't know how to delete this post.

Bograt said:
I would like to thank you for this opportunity to share my thoughts. Now, can somebody help me find my medication.
:blotto: Whew... Thought you were serious for a moment... Sarcasm detector still in the shop... :dontpanic:

McG said:
I think that the centripital effects of the central government shouldering more of the nation's financial burden would have positive benefits for national unity.   It also gives greater moral authority for the federal government to push for national standards in those programs that Canadians identify with (ie Health Care).

I hate to punch a small hole in your premise but Quebec has been getting in excess of $5 billion per year in Equalization alone for the last umpteen years and they keep electing separatists.     :p

Personally, I'm against equalization in its current form as well as regional subsidies.

My three-pronged solution for national economic development:
1)   Provide federal funds for fiscally responsible provinces who run surpluses and are reducing their debts.   In essence, if a province runs a surplus of $500 million, then the federal government matches it making the actual level of debt repayment $1 billion.   In the long run this will lead to a more fiscal responsibility across the board and will eventually allow for additional tax relief.
2)   Modify our immigration and refugee policies so that immigrants MUST reside for a period of not less than 5 years in the province assigned to them, and that distribution matches current population distribution amongst the provinces.   My premise is that immigration generates population growth with necessitates construction which increases business at lumber/hardware stores/appliance stores/etc which creates more construction at those service support sites which creates additional jobs.   In essence, the addition of 'educated' immigrants to any province will have a multiplier effect upon its economy.   See Newfoundland - negative population growth guarantees economic downturns.   Alberta-Ontario - booming.
3)   Negotiate a Free Trade Agreement with Europe (at least Ireland and the UK).   This would not only reduce our dangerous dependence on the United States but would immediately re-invigorate the East Coast.

Of note, I'm running for office next year, and I expect your votes!!!!

Matthew.     ;D   ;D   ;D

Cdn Blackshirt said:
2)  Modify our immigration and refugee policies so that immigrants MUST reside for a period of not less than 5 years in the province assigned to them, and that distribution matches current population distribution amongst the provinces.  My premise is that immigration generates population growth with necessitates construction which increases business at lumber/hardware stores/appliance stores/etc which creates more construction at those service support sites which creates additional jobs.  In essence, the addition of 'educated' immigrants to any province will have a multiplier effect upon its economy.  See Newfoundland - negative population growth guarantees economic downturns.  Alberta-Ontario - booming.
3)  Negotiate a Free Trade Agreement with Europe (at least Ireland and the UK).  This would not only reduce our dangerous dependence on the United States but would immediately re-invigorate the East Coast.

Of note, I'm running for office next year, and I expect your votes!!!!
Matthew.    ;D  ;D  ;D

I find point two a bit disturbing; how would you hold a new immigrant to their "assigned residence" for five years? This could also turn into the mother of all pork barrels, encouraging corruption (We'll move you and your family to Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal in return for some tangible support), or huge provincial bun-fights (We want only educated people, and send them to Wawa in order to generate a burst of economic activity prior to the next provincial election).

Point three, on the other hand, is exactly right. Why not extend this to the entire Anglosphere?

BTW, where are you running, what office are you running for and which party will you represent?

I find point two a bit disturbing; how would you hold a new immigrant to their "assigned residence" for five years? This could also turn into the mother of all pork barrels, encouraging corruption (We'll move you and your family to Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal in return for some tangible support), or huge provincial bun-fights (We want only educated people, and send them to Wawa in order to generate a burst of economic activity prior to the next provincial election).

Point three, on the other hand, is exactly right. Why not extend this to the entire Anglosphere?

BTW, where are you running, what office are you running for and which party will you represent?

RE:   Point Two - Assigned Residence:   You introduce a 5-year probationary term.   In that time frame a refugee or immigrant must reside in the province assigned to them, and not get into any problems with the police.  

RE:   Point Two - Porkbarrelling - I think it is a justifiable fear, but no moreso than the current "Are you going to get in, or not and how much is it worth to you?"  

RE:   Point Three - I just believe we have to start somewhere.   I don't care if they're just bilateral agreements but we have to reduce our economic dependence upon the USA.   I'm telling you right now, if the Democrats had won both the Congress and the Senate, we would've been screwed.

RE:   Running for Office - I was only kidding.   Maybe in 20 years, but not now....RE:   Party - I'm a small 'c', secular Conservative.  

Matthew.     :salute:

Makes a person give their head a shake. Although we are known as a"Peace keeping Nation" Some of that surplus could have gone into buying NEW subs Why stop there We can also build our own Ships, Aircraft etc We'd be putting plenty of skilled Canadians to work.  Why is it that Our Gov't thinks they are saving money by buying second hand equipment? in the long run after the over hauls The Gov't has ended up spending more money than if they had bought New equipment ???

Cdn Blackshirt said:
I hate to punch a small hole in your premise but Quebec has been getting in excess of $5 billion per year in Equalization alone for the last umpteen years and they keep electing separatists.    :p

Personally, I'm against equalization in its current form as well as regional subsidies.
I'm not promoting greater equalization payments.   I'm thinking of more of a percapita money transfer along the lines of the CHST (or its predecessors). This would not target regions but instead would universally increase federal money to all provinces.

MCG said:
I'm not promoting greater equalization payments.  I'm thinking of more of a percapita money transfer along the lines of the CHST (or its predecessors). This would not target regions but instead would universally increase federal money to all provinces.

Cut out the middleman and roll back the $9 billion over taxation!

Ah, but by passing the money along, to the provinces, regional needs are addressed with regional solutions (which may or may not be tax reductions) and the federal government re-establishes itself in a position where it can exercise its spending power over the provinces (and being a centralist, I would not mind seeing that little bit more leverage).

Unfortunately, the centralist approach has produced things like the "billion dollar boondoggle", Shawinigate, Adscam, the gun registry, unflyable flags and so on. I don't think I want to see any more leverage going to these clowns....

If i where in the army or not we badly need a good chunk of coin put into us.

If this one has already been done, please let me know.
I personally feel we are taxed too much (who doesn't?). I think if we had serious governments at federal and provincial level then we should have major tax reforms. The governments responsibility at both of these levels should be (IMO)
1. Education (Fed and Prov)
2. Health care (Fed and Prov)
3. Defense (Fed)
4. Maint of highways, roads, parks etc (Fed and Prov)
5. Justice system includes courts, corrections, police, etc (Fed and Prov)
6. Both federal and provincial auditors generals that should be well funded to snoop out wasting tax payers money issues (this would be a good deterent IMO) and either enforcing responsibility or embarrasing (public reports with press) said govt rep/dept for poor handling of public $$$.

Thats it. I think crap like cultural promotion, welfare (provincial level), foreign aid (Why help others when we need things sorted out RIGHT here in Canada?), social programs, etc have no place being paid for the by  government.

I also think we should bin welfare at the provincial level completely. I know far too many people (Both new arrivals to Canada and people who are 4-5th generation Canadian) who just love this little gravy train and play it very well. The only people who should be on it are those who are seriously disabled. Everyone else I think should still be able to receive money equal to minimum wage x 40 hours per week however they would be required to work for their county or another level of government performing manual labor or using what job skills they do have for 4 hours a day, five days of the week. The other 4 working hours per day would be mandatory job searching (that would require documentation)..

Why do I babble on about this? I love to think of myself as a proud Canadian serving in the army, etc, etc then I hear horror stories from relatives of so and so milking the system or reading in the news paper complete crap like giving $50,000 of tax cash to some cultural promotion or crap like that.

People who know me, know I hate complacency and I think too many people in this country love the troff called "Tax payers money".
Lets hear some opinions on this one?
Angry Rick Over.

Social programs should be run at the provincial level, and it will never change or deviate from this.

The constitution so entrenches the federal taxation power that it muddies the water a bit... but realistically, we are only moving to further powers for the provinces..

The constitution originally supports much greater power at the Federal Level.. but thanks to the SCC (supreme court of canada) and more importantly its predecessor (the JCPC in England)  much wider birth was given to the Provinces and the interpretation of the words has been heavily contested.

Actually in Canada's history, the greatest shift to centralize more decisions was during/just after the world wars where everyone "banded together".

All this to say that the closer you get to the people, the more demands you have; the more decentralized, the more diversity you will encounter and have to cater to.

As for foreign aid - I can see what you are saying here, Ive often had the same thoughts...  and perhaps some of the Canadians on this board that have served overseas would have more convincing arguments (either way) regarding this, but as some have said, the best defense is a good offense...  and I think we just have to rethink what we mean by offense, here...  It comes down to evaluating our position on the world stage... we will never be a superpower... but if we want our voices heard (remember, I said if) we need a strong military AND financial presence on the world stage.... one that at least correlates with the station we want to hold in the world.

I have served overseas ( I was CIMIC in Bosnia on my third tour) and there is value to projects in a NEW theater of operations (where we want to win the hearts and mins) however they also come to learn to "Milk the troff".
I must be honest I really don't know much about what the Canadian constitution translate to. Thinks for shedding some light.

Well, its hard to give a lesson in canadian politics all in one paragraph, especially since Im no expert, but I do study the stuff, so to put it into real terms... basically, Canada focuses a lot on the little stuff.. We are BIG on social programs. We are big on supporting the little guy. Always kind of have been.

The key issue in politics these days tends to be who is paying - the Feds or the Province... and since the feds have the unlimited taxation power....

You might want to consider that 'health' (broadly) and public safety/security (broadly, again) are, primarily, municipal responsibilities.

Potable water and good sewers are far, far more important to public health than all the scientists and bean-counters in the federal and provincial health ministries.   Money for up-to-date water and sewage treatment is every bit as important as money for MRI machines and, even, doctors and nurses.

Local police and fire services keep most Canadians safe and secure, and the local police are the front line in the so called war on terrorism because the terrorist are living in our towns and cities, right now â “ being watched, mainly, by local police services rather, I think, than CSIS and the RCMP.

Even education is, in many jurisdictions, a local matter â “ schools are built and teachers are hired by local (municipal) school boards using money from local property taxes.

If I could redesign the country, from scratch, I would base it on communities each of which would elect councilors and collect taxes.   The communities would then band together and create provinces and/or a national state to which they would send tasks and councilors and money â “ contracting out, if you like, those things which are better done on a larger scale, like national defence, foreign policy and fiscal and monetary policy.

Back