• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

.50 cal desert eagle???

Blunt Object

Inactive
Reaction score
What calibers does the Desert eagle come in. I've heard they can be .50 cal but I saw a dummy round and you'd need a bloddy hand cannon to fire somtthing that big. Anyone know??

Google - www.google.ca

Search words - desert eagle

First hit - "Magnum Research, Inc., home of the Desert Eagle Pistol, "

Found on site - Magnum research Article: The Desert Eagle of Magnum Research

Question:

What calibers does the Desert eagle come in. I've heard they can be .50 cal but I saw a dummy round and you'd need a bloddy hand cannon to fire somtthing that big. Anyone know??

Answer:

Yes, I do.

.357 MAG, .44 MAG, and .50AE.

The 50 ACTION EXPRESS round is NOT .50BMG

Sheesh

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20030213-1426-newrevolver.html

(snicker)

Oh.. its for putting in your backpack in case you run into bears.
(its in the article!)

I think there is a "Baby  Eagle" in 9mm affectionately referred as the "Beagle"  The .50AE Desert Eagle is a 74oz (4.5lb) hand cannon.  It fires a 325gr FMJ.  With its fixed barrel and rotating bolt similar to the M16 it is inherently accurate.  I have been able to get less than 2" groupings at 50 yards with one.

Pros:
Not many around, not rare but most people have not seen or fired one;
Accurate;

Cons:
Heavy;
Expensive to shoot (ammo is not cheap but reloading reduces the costs)

Its not a pistol I would carry around in battle... unless I had too, but they are fun to shoot. Guns are like cars, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and its your coin.

Blunt Object said:

.357 magnum
.44 Magnum
.50 AE (my fav)

http://www.magnumresearch.com/products.asp

The DE as far as i'm concerned is an answer to a question that should never have been asked. Overweight,oversized,and overpriced,I suppose it's only use is for the "golly gee" factor,espescially when there are much better platforms out there that perform better than it ever could. I must admit to owning a .357mag DE at one time back in the late 80's when they were all the rage,after 1 month I ditched that boat anchor on some other poor unsuspecting soul who had equally poor luck with the unreliable beast,so far I think it is up to 5 different owners (last time I checked with the poor SOB that I sold it to).
If you want a hand cannon look into a Casul revolver,a S&W .50,or even a Taurus,anything would be better than the laughing stock of Israel.

I fired a few mags through a Desert Eagle, and I'm convinced that's it's the single worst handgun I've ever fired. Even the .357 was so friggin heavy when loaded that you could barely hold an aimed shot. The recoil was psychotic, which does not allow you to shoot off multiple rouds quickly, it had a monstrous climb (surprisingly for something so heavy), and was such a piece of garbage that the safety started spinning in circles when I popped off the first round. Speaking to the guy on the range, they apparently have to replace them all the time because they're always breaking. They're also a bit of a cleaning pig - if it's not perfectly cleaned and maintained all the time, it's useless.

IMHO, the only reasons to own one are:

a. movie production - it's big and cool looking. And that's it.
b. bear hunting with a pistol  ::)
c. compensation... kind of like driving an ultra-modified sports car that can go 200mph, but still leaks oil

OK, I've completely lost my interest in them. Time to move on!
Maybe a good USP would do... Someone start a USP thread, lots of pictures!  :blotto:

Are you just interested in these weapons for the LCF (Look Cool Factor) or is there a professional interest involved?

The "LCF", but I'd like to join a range.
I think it would be fun to have my own personal firearm for training in my spare time.

I don't know about you guys but on the streets of  Toronto, size does matter!! Two ppl have tried ot sell me one illeagaly but i turned it down because of the asfety factor and i don't want police after me for having an illeagal weapon that could have been used in a murder i didn't comitt. Anyways if got the proper license and the money to buy one i would definatly buy it, it looks so kewl!!  8) ;D lol  :threat: and I'll use it to turn off the lights in my appartment before i got to bed each night. !! lol

I dunno about you guys; but I like this...

wildey.jpg

The wildey supports many calibers and handloads (thanks to swappable barrels and an Adjustable gas system) making it a formidable choice for target shooters and big-game hunters alike (hunting with a handcannon, sheesh.) Probably needs lots of maintenance too, but it's also just as badass as the DE; has to be if Charles Bronson would use it, lol.

EDIT: Edited for lack of picture, whoops!

Sgt.Mitoff,

You'd probably get more respect and actually have your opinion taken seriously if you used spell check on your posts and refrained from the "emo" speak. Also, advocating unsafe and outright stupid usage of firearms is not a good idea.

combat_medic said:
[R]efrain from the "emo" speak.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My Gawd that thing is huge  :eek:

"strong enough to stop a bear"

forget the bear. A native tribe in Washington state uses a .50 cal to kill a WHALE!!!!

Yes, but they use the .50 calibre rifles, not handguns. There's a significant difference between a Browning .50 cal and a .50 Magnum.

Browning .50:

12.7 x 99 mm
2,810 fps - muzzle velocity
1,813 gr - weight

Magnum .50:

12.7 x 32.63 mm
1,252 fps - muzzle velocity
350 Gr - weight

HUGE difference. God knows I wouldn't go whaling with a handgun anyway.

To be technically accurate

The .50 BMG (Browning Machine Gun) versus the .50 AE (Action Express)

Back