• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

49 Soldiers Put in Quarantine at CFB Petawawa

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
I had read on the CP24 news channel that some at CFB Borden were quarantined also......

http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=8482&catname=Local%20News&classif=News%20-%20Local
49 soldiers put in quarantine

By VALERIE MCLAUGHLIN
Local News - Friday, March 24, 2006 @ 19:00

Officials at CFB Petawawa are trying to contain the spread of a gastroenteritis outbreak among troops participating in a training exercise after nearly 50 soldiers have been placed in quarantine-like conditions.

Medical officials started placing soldiers in isolation Wednesday after several members of A Company of 2 Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry began complaining of vomiting and diarrhea on Tuesday afternoon.
The unit is based out of CFB Shilo, Man.
Concerned the flu-like illness would spread to healthy troops, a decision was made to remove the soldiers from the training field and put them into isolation.

Initially, 44 soldiers from the Manitoba base were placed in barracks.
However, another five soldiers from Petawawa have been isolated for precautionary reasons, said Maj. Mel Storrier, surgeon, 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group at CFB Petawawa.

“The general population is under no threat to being exposed to this,” Capt. Scott Spurr, brigade public affairs officer said.
Downplaying the seriousness of the outbreak, Maj. Storrier said it is a “disease of minor concern.” However, he did tell reporters Thursday afternoon the illness is contagious.

“The current situation is very much under control. The good news it is a temporary illness,” he said.

I guess it's a slow day when a gastroenteritis outbreak makes the news...  ;D

It is a slow news day everyday in Pembroke/Petawawa and the local rag, the Pembroke Observer has to fill its pages with some relevant local news.  In my opinion 49 soldiers being quarantined is relevant.

Well... if they started visiting daycare centers, and schools, they would have plenty of news of this type !!!  ;)
;D
It's not like it's the ebola virus or something... but I guess you're right: they have to fill the pages with something.  :D

WASH YOUR F@#$%^& HANDS BEFORE AND AFTER YOU EAT, AND AFTER YOU USE THE WASHROOM!!!!!!

Maybe then you would not be screwing up an entire brigade's training, timetables, and work schedules because you got the runs.

I am here today instead of out on the range because those yahoo's were supposed to shoot today, and now screwed next week's schedule.

We always did call them "Dirty Patricia's" now they just proved us Royals right  ;D

Seriously though I do hope they get better and that the rest of the company remains healthy.

PS: Doc I got the compassionate thanks for the little talk.

Uniform and uniformity?

I guess that means everyone gets sick at the same time too?  :P ::)

Armymedic said:
WASH YOUR F@#$%^& HANDS BEFORE AND AFTER YOU EAT, AND AFTER YOU USE THE WASHROOM!!!!!!

Maybe then you would not be screwing up an entire brigade's training, timetables, and work schedules because you got the runs.

I am here today instead of out on the range because those yahoo's were supposed to shoot today, and now screwed next week's schedule.

I suppose there is no chance that these guys did wash their hands, and were infected by a lazy cook who neglected to wash his....

Seriously, is there any injury or sickness that a soldier could get that would result in a medic saying "yup, these things happen" instead of a patronizing lecture on safety/cleanliness/sunscreen etc.?

Quote from GO!!!,
Seriously, is there any injury or sickness that a soldier could get that would result in a medic saying "yup, these things happen" instead of a patronizing lecture on safety/cleanliness/sunscreen etc.?

Nope, its bred into them ;).....it would be like you forgetting to "check canopy". :warstory:

Whoo, man, if this is anything like what hit CMR in 1989, my heart goes out to them.

CMR used to have a big weekend-long, 24/7 broomball tournament. Early Friday night, there were rumours of people missing games due to feeling sick. My team played a game at 0:dark:30 on Sat AM, and a couple of our guys looked a little green.

By lunchtime, almost the entire College had it, and the symptoms were explosive vomiting and diarrhea. It was incredible - lineups at the bathrooms, guys forced to use the shower stalls and bathroom sinks. One poor bastard in the stall next to me had one end let go while the other end was still pumping... I can still remember the smell.

And by Sunday afternoon, it had played itself out. It was like some sort of flash fire - fast acting, and instantly contagious, and gone almost as fast as it developed.

There were maybe a dozen people in my block that didn't get it.

I wouldn't wish that experience on *anybody*

DG

GO!!! said:
I suppose there is no chance that these guys did wash their hands, and were infected by a lazy cook who neglected to wash his....

Amen, GO!!!, Amen. Don't suppose there'd be any chance of some bad rations, a contaminated water buffalo or as you stated, a single typhoid Mary loose in the BG. It's always the dirty, little Billie's fault.

Just some inside info. 
A Coy was on a field ex here in Shilo prior to their depature for Ontario and its my understanding they starting gettig sick almost immediately after their arrival in Pet.  As well, I haven't heard of any other cases of this bug in 2 VP or Shilo for that matter.  Its a good bet the rations or water would be the culprit.  I just hope they recover soon and get on with their training so they don't have to spend more time away from their families playing catchup. :salute:

Kurhaus said:
Its a good bet the rations or water would be the culprit. 
Bullshit. A gastrointestinal virus is the cause, and has been confirmed (at least one) case of Norwalk virus....prevented by washing your hands.

GO!!! said:
Not likely, esp if you are referring to a military cook, they are more anal when it comes to cleanliness then medics are. More then likely it was shaking hands, or touching the bathroom door handle, etc.

Yes, but if I told you, that would steal everyone's thunder.  ;D

How is it transmitted from sick to healthy AM?

No reports of it here.
I'd have to agree with AM.

Norwalk Virus Infection

Norwalk virus infection is an intestinal illness that often occurs in outbreaks.
Norwalk and Norwalk-like viruses are increasingly being recognized as leading causes of foodborne disease in the United States.
The viruses are passed in the stool of infected persons. People get infected by swallowing stool-contaminated food or water. Outbreaks in the United States are often linked to raw oysters.
Infected people usually recover in 2 to 3 days without serious or long-term health effects.
To prevent Norwalk virus infection: 1) wash hands with soap and warm water after toilet visits and before preparing or eating food; 2) cook all shellfish thoroughly before eating; 3) wash raw vegetables before eating; and 4) dispose of sewage in a sanitary manner.

What is Norwalk virus infection?

Norwalk virus infection is an intestinal illness that often occurs in outbreaks.

What is the infectious agent that causes Norwalk virus infection?

Norwalk virus infection is caused by the Norwalk virus. The virus was first identified in 1972 after an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness in Norwalk, Ohio. Later, other viruses with similar features were described and called Norwalk-like viruses. These have since been classified as members of the calicivirus family.

Where is Norwalk virus found?

Norwalk and Norwalk-like viruses are found worldwide. Humans are the only known hosts. The viruses are passed in the stool of infected persons.

How do people get Norwalk virus infection?

People get Norwalk virus infection by swallowing food or water that has been contaminated with stool from an infected person. Outbreaks in the United States are often linked to eating raw shellfish, especially oysters and clams. Shellfish become contaminated via stool from sick food handlers or from raw sewage dumped overboard by recreational and/or commercial boaters. Contaminated water, ice, eggs, salad ingredients, and ready-to-eat foods are other sources of infection.

Who is at risk for Norwalk virus infection?

Anyone can get Norwalk virus infection, but it may be more common in adults and older children.

What are the signs and symptoms of Norwalk virus infection?

Nausea
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Stomach cramps
Severe illness or hospitalization is uncommon. Infected persons usually recover in 2 to 3 days without serious or long-term health effects.

How soon after exposure do symptoms appear?

Symptoms usually appear in 1 to 2 days after swallowing contaminated food or water.

How is Norwalk virus infection diagnosed?

Laboratory diagnosis is difficult. Diagnosis is often based on the combination of symptoms and the short time of illness.

What is the treatment for Norwalk virus infection?

No specific treatment is available. Persons who are severely dehydrated might need rehydration therapy.

How common is Norwalk virus infection?

Norwalk and Norwalk-like viruses are increasingly being recognized as leading causes of foodborne disease in the United States. However, since no routine diagnostic test is available, the true prevalence is not known. Norwalk and Norwalk-like viruses have been linked to outbreaks of intestinal illness on cruise ships and in communities, camps, schools, institutions, and families.

Many oyster-related outbreaks of intestinal illness linked to Norwalk-like viruses have been reported in Louisiana, Florida, Maryland, and other states where oyster harvesting is common. In 1993, 73 people in Louisiana and about 130 others in the United States who ate oysters from Louisiana became ill. A malfunctioning sewage system was the cause of an outbreak in 1996. An outbreak in 1997 was linked to sewage from oyster-harvesting boats.

How can Norwalk virus be prevented?

Wash hands with soap and warm water after toilet visits and before preparing or eating food.
Cook all shellfish thoroughly before eating.
Wash raw vegetables before eating.
Dispose of sewage in a sanitary manner.
Food handlers with symptoms of Norwalk-like illness should not prepare or touch food.

This fact sheet is for information only and is not meant to be used for self-diagnosis or as a substitute for consultation with a health-care provider. If you have any questions about the disease described above, consult a health-care provider.

Unwashed hands, port-a-john usage, salads, slabs of cake don't mix well in the stomach.  Muddy spring or fall weather with puddles and pools of still water.  In Wainwright add the cattle manure and urine flowing into the ground around bivouacs and trenches.  We had 17 soldiers with a GI condition during BTE 05 I won't mention which LFWA/QA Infantry units they were from.  Every soldiers should be issued with a big bottle of hand sanitizer.  I'm the sure RSMs can find room in the Tac Vest pocket layout for it.

"I'm the sure RSMs can find room in the Tac Vest pocket layout for it."
Maybe the aftermarket one's. ;)

There was some news coverage on TV last night regarding the training in Pet, there were a couple shots of some medics, AM were you one of them?

Back