• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

427 Special Operations Aviation Squadron

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALQ Rifleman

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering about this unit since i want to to become a AVN tech but i would like to be part of this special group. I would just like to know some general things.

Start by going to the search page.

Type "427" into the search box.

Limit the search to the past 365 days.

Select the Navy/Air Force/Joint, Air Force and CANSOFCOM boards.

You will get back 2 pages of returns, most of which include discussion of 427 Sqn.

After you have reviewed the information already available, you may have a better idea of what else you would like to ask.

Well, thru an AVN's eyes, probably no different than any other Tac Hel squadron, except you wear a Tan Beret to work.

As an AVN tech in the Sqn, you'll probably just fix aircraft.
Cut and dry, nothing special about that...except you have to live in Petawawa.
:D

BYT Driver said:

SF2 said:
except you wear a Tan Beret to work.

And have big tough army guys glare at you in Tim Hortons as you walk out with a large pack of Timbits.

BYT Driver said:
As an AVN tech in the Sqn, you'll probably just fix aircraft.
:D
I can tell you that fixing ac is only one part of the job.  In a Tac Hell environment you also will maintain the vehicles, weapons and all the field kit, yours and the communal.  You won't do that in any other AF unit.  When away from home you get to sleep with your mates in tents at all temps and get paid a field allowance.... which is taxed.  Most other AF Units wake up in a heated or air conditioned hotel and enjoy a non taxable 85 bucks a day to buy meals and cover incidentals. Plus get to scratch the boys in private during your morning stretch after you find the remote and ensure the coffee pot is on.  Even the troops on ship have a comfy dry bunk and all the hot meals they can eat.

Suffice it to say you better enjoy camping the army way and all the fun that goes with it to enjoy Tac hell.

And have big tough army guys glare at you in Tim Hortons as you walk out with a large pack of Timbits

not sure what you mean, but whatever....you implying that 427 is a bunch of fatties?  PT Test standards are the same across CANSOFCOM.

SF2

I'm sure PT standards should be the same across CANSOFCOM but your painting with a pretty broad brush. You only have to look at the PT prereqs to get chosen for Selection(s)in the CANFORGENS to realize that. Anyhow its not a slight, just pointing out the obvious.

Gentlemen, we DO NOT need another thread spiralling into uselessness over prejudices and inabilities to accept that everyone has a job to do.  If you have personal issues with the regulations, how they are applied, or how they are perceived, setting the conditions to initiate flame wars here is not the way to deal with it.

Army.ca Staff

Agreed,

However, CANSOFCOM PT standards are the same across the board, that is a fact.  And you cannot compare that to SELECTION PT standards of CSOR.  The difference is that CSOR was formed from scratch, allowing such selection standards to be applied.  427 was re-roled using existing members as an interim until selection standards can be applied.  If you have distain against someone in Tim Hortons who you think is not "deserving" of a Tan Beret, I suggest you try to remember that not everyone needs to be supermandoorkickerultramanninja types to do their jobs effectively.  You cannot form a Special Operations unit overnight.  You play with the hand you're given until you're dealt a new one, which takes time.  Thats why its called transformation.

If the Tim Horton commando is directly affecting your effectiveness as a soldier, fine, address it.  But if all it is is a grudge you're holding, simply because you don't like the fact that his beret is a certain color, then there are deeper problems.

+1. Well said SF2.
:army:
The original poster asks what life will be like in 427 as an AVN tech, not a superninjamockchickendoorkicker. 
I can only guess that he will do his job and anything else that is required to get the job done by the end of the day.  Field units are like that, you end up cross training as a mechanic and driver. 
my 0.02
:army:

SF2 said:
not sure what you mean, but whatever....you implying that 427 is a bunch of fatties? 
No, CSOR pers and CANSOF HQ pers wear tan berets and go to the base Tim's as well.  Guilty conscious?...

Nice try.

PT Test standards are the same across CANSOFCOM.

Really? I think not. While there is no change to the minimum CF fitness standard for all units of CANSOFCOM (CF express testing), there are different fitness testing standards for the categories of employment within the variety of units. If you were in your lane when you said this, you would know that.

Guilty conscious?...

Conscience? Hell no - I can huff the 1.5 mile with the rest of em....

And you're right, there is a minimum CF express standard for all units of CANSOFCOM, which is a different standard than the rest of the CF - exactly to which I was referring. I'm not referring to job specific standards that apply to certain trades.  To ask an AVN, or a Clerk, or a Pilot for that matter, to meet the level required to that of an assaulter is ludicrous.

I wear a tan beret to work, so my lane is just as wide as yours is......

SF2 said:
I wear a tan beret to work, so my lane is just as wide as yours is......

Its all good. And who says I wear a tan beret?

I see nothing good is going to come from this thread.....

army.ca staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back