• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

36y/o m nurse offered Log - advice?

burdseyeflu

Reaction score
Ahoy everyone!

Been mulling around in my mind of joining up for years, finally I pulled the trigger and wrote the CFAT in early November'23. Nursing in the civilian world is...not as what I was promised in 2011, and so I'm looking for a serious career path that holds the values it claims.

I've poked around on some of the rcaf LogOs talking about it, and am soaking it all in. I do have some specific questions though:

1) Is log school post BMQ in Borden, or Winnipeg?
2) Do 6, 10, 11, 13, 18, 20 and 21 wings exist?
3) If one has a bias for S & R, where would one go?
4) Is it possible to choose to be a part of wing 7 training?
5) where can I go for the most current publications on Log LSO vs LFO breakdowns?
6) do you like your job?

Any insight will be immediately considered and appreciated ;)

Log training is delivered in Borden. Your posting after training is dependent on the needs of the service.

If you have a medical background, you might want to look at Health Services Manager (HSM), which is (simplified) health care logistics.
Thank you. I will have a look!

I was Army Log and am retired now.

Logistics Officer

Canadian Forces Logistics Training Centre (CFLTC) is where all Logistics personnel are trained. This is located in Borden, Ontario.
The school website is: Canadian Forces Logistics Training Centre - Canada.ca

RCAF Wings and Squadrons : Wings and squadrons - Royal Canadian Air Force - Canada.ca

I don't know what you mean.

7 Wing (Space) is under the operational command of 3 Canadian Space Division. Log Os do not undertake Space Ops training. You can get posted to 7 Wing as part of staff.

5) where can I go for the most current publications on Log LSO vs LFO breakdowns?
Log LSO and LFO are new specialties resulting from the merger of Supply, Transportation (LSO), Finance and Human Resources (LFO). I'm not sure where the Food Services Officer and the Ammunition Technical Officer will fall under as.
I do not know what the new training plans are and the new career development path.
Ask the Recruiting Office for more information about the LSO and LFO.

6) do you like your job?
LSO and LFO are new specialties of the Log O (less than 2 years) and I believe that the surveys from the leadership and new graduates have not been collated yet.
I am an former Army Log O with the Transportation specialty and movements sub-speciality. I have:
  • deployed on operations (major and minor) around the world
  • deployed on domestic operations within Canada
  • worked in multi-national setting along with my foreign logistics counterparts
  • participated in multi-national exercises in the USA, Europe and Asia.
Yes, I enjoyed my job because for the most part my actions had real effects on missions. Logistics is responsible for the provision of beans, bullets, fuel, mail and pay. Failure to provide means the mission may suffer or fail or people may suffer or die.

I do not know what being a RCAF Log O is like. I think that unless you are posted in an operational squadron/unit or an expeditionary wing then you are most likely desk bound, but I could be wrong.

I was Army Log and am retired now.

Logistics Officer

Canadian Forces Logistics Training Centre (CFLTC) is where all Logistics personnel are trained. This is located in Borden, Ontario.
The school website is: Canadian Forces Logistics Training Centre - Canada.ca

RCAF Wings and Squadrons : Wings and squadrons - Royal Canadian Air Force - Canada.ca

I don't know what you mean.

7 Wing (Space) is under the operational command of 3 Canadian Space Division. Log Os do not undertake Space Ops training. You can get posted to 7 Wing as part of staff.

Log LSO and LFO are new specialties resulting from the merger of Supply, Transportation (LSO), Finance and Human Resources (LFO). I'm not sure where the Food Services Officer and the Ammunition Technical Officer will fall under as.
I do not know what the new training plans are and the new career development path.
Ask the Recruiting Office for more information about the LSO and LFO.

6) do you like your job?
LSO and LFO are new specialties of the Log O (less than 2 years) and I believe that the surveys from the leadership and new graduates have not been collated yet.
I am an former Army Log O with the Transportation specialty and movements sub-speciality. I have:

• deployed on operations (major and minor) around the world
  • deployed on domestic operations within Canada
  • worked in multi-national setting along with my foreign logistics counterparts
  • participated in multi-national exercises in the USA, Europe and Asia.
Yes, I enjoyed my job because for the most part my actions had real effects on missions. Logistics is responsible for the provision of beans, bullets, fuel, mail and pay. Failure to provide means the mission may suffer or fail or people may suffer or die.

I do not know what being a RCAF Log O is like. I think that unless you are posted in an operational squadron/unit or an expeditionary wing then you are most likely desk bound, but I could be wrong.
I appreciate this! Especially number 6 💪🏼🫡

If you're a qualified nurse I would suggest that you enter as a nurse if there is a vacancy. The CAF can benefit from your training and expertise. Nurses are considered purple, meaning the colour of your uniform doesn't matter and you can be posted to the Army or Navy.

The medical school is also located in Borden.

Good luck

If you're a qualified nurse I would suggest that you enter as a nurse if there is a vacancy. The CAF can benefit from your training and expertise. Nurses are considered purple, meaning the colour of your uniform doesn't matter and you can be posted to the Army or Navy.

Good luck
I would have, but my regulatory body has no mechanism for non practicing class to return to practicing despite them stating that they do.

Log, in a way, is a chance to learn something new and to not have my skills gatekept.

Common Log course is in Borden. Element courses are now being exported: Air Force to Winnipeg, Navy to Halifax/Esquimalt:

LSO and LFO is currently only implemented to senior officers for the moment:

Common Log course is in Borden. Element courses are now being exported: Air Force to Winnipeg, Navy to Halifax/Esquimalt:

LSO and LFO is currently only implemented to senior officers for the moment:

Ahh okay, so all the specialty stuff I'll put on the backburner.
Thank you 🙏

Good luck
This type of offer illustrates just how upgefuked the recruiting system is. Experienced nurse (we usually lose more than we get) being offered log WTF? OW shpuld shake its collective head!

This type of offer illustrates just how upgefuked the recruiting system is. Experienced nurse (we usually lose more than we get) being offered log WTF? OW shpuld shake its collective head!
Just to offer the opposite point of view, it’s also possible the applicant doesn’t want nursing as a career. They did mention civilian nursing wasn’t what they thought it would be. As much as we are dying for healthcare, I prefer to have nurses (and officers in general) who love what they do.

Experienced nurse? Maybe, but if he was (and even if he was interested in continuing that career), as he stated in a previous post he is in "non practicing class" with his college. What that means is he no longer has a license to practice nursing - he just has his name still on the books of the respective provincial college so that he can receive college info (and use the title "RN - Non Practicing"; without being registered one can not legally use the title "RN" in any form). One of the requirements for a DEO nurse (and any of the other regulated medical professions) is to have an unrestricted license to practice before an offer can be made. Depending on when he last practiced and the return to practice requirements of his college, it could take him up to a year or more to regain a license to practice.

Hahaha it's more of a problem with my regulatory college. Recruiters asked me if I wanted to nurse. I asked my reg body specifically about the process to bridge non practicing to practicing class. The College says organizations can be a part of the bridging, but recruitment said the CAF has no such program.

This is a sign of what healthcare is quickly becoming. We have a whole infrastructure set up in the hospitals, but nobody cares enough, or is skilled enough to run it. Moore's Law at play, but with even less people doing the actual work.

Reactions: ueo
Experienced nurse? Maybe, but if he was (and even if he was interested in continuing that career), as he stated in a previous post he is in "non practicing class" with his college. What that means is he no longer has a license to practice nursing - he just has his name still on the books of the respective provincial college so that he can receive college info (and use the title "RN - Non Practicing"; without being registered one can not legally use the title "RN" in any form). One of the requirements for a DEO nurse (and any of the other regulated medical professions) is to have an unrestricted license to practice before an offer can be made. Depending on when he last practiced and the return to practice requirements of his college, it could take him up to a year or more to regain a license to practice.
I've been poking at the CNO to give me definitive answers since 2018...the lights are on, but nobody's home over in Toronto.
Last I heard when I spoke to them, there was a 200 somethin dollar pay wall and vaguely described process with no timelines. It was about that point last year when I decided to give the CFAT the ol college try.

Just to offer the opposite point of view, it’s also possible the applicant doesn’t want nursing as a career. They did mention civilian nursing wasn’t what they thought it would be. As much as we are dying for healthcare, I prefer to have nurses (and officers in general) who love what they do.
I was begging the hospitals in my city for a job during covid. Vaxxed up and everything. Single, fit, PPE certified, mental health specializations as well as float nurse history. Needing nurses and not hiring them is what is happening, but as described, it never gets beyond stating 'wE nEeD dOkTuRz AnD nOOrSiS".

It's sad because when I graduated in 2011, nursing acute care in my region was a good endeavour.

Back