• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

30 days

They are still messing with the length of BMOQ. As of right now from what I was told when I swore in, people doing DEO, and ROTP (Civvie U) do a 15 week BMOQ whereas people doing ROTP (RMC) do a 12 week one or something like that. Something about them getting foundational military skills while going to school or something means their course is shorter over the summer.

hey guys sorry for the late update to anyone who cares:

Went in for interview yesterday morning for 1 pm, got out at 330 sharp. Long interview, kind of zoned out a bit, but definately some advice to those going into an interview: Know your trade (from pay to training times), come with knowledge of why you would be good for the job (and i mean very very extensively, no "im a good leader because I was a captain on my soccer team in grade 8"), and thirdly if you have had any issues with the law, be prepared to explain it completely and HONESTLY.

I wont put any specifics about the questions, as when you go into the interview you are fully notified that you are not to really publicize the interview questions you remember. Plus, it makes sense, considering the Canadian forces want the truth and real personality of the applicant to show, not a rehearsed actor whos good at pretending hes a soldier by birth.

By the way, the interview was for a CEOTP Infantry Officer application (no 2nd or 3rd choice), lasted 2.5 hours in the office, and the officer selection board for CEOTP is on next Wednesday. WISH ME LUCK GUYS :) I NEED IT, one thing that upsetted me though, was that I thought the IAP/BOTC or BMOQ or whatever you wish to call the first phase of officer training, they didnt mention september 1 (which I have been reading alot about in articles), but rather some time in October. Oh well, I'll wait to find out I guess :)

PS: LEGAL OBLIGATIONS include speeding tickets, and traffic tickets if the vehicle is under YOUR name. Make sure its all taken care of, otherwise like myself your gonna have to rush to the provincial traffic court pay the fine, and rush to come back considering my application needs to be in by today!!!

Let me know if you have any questions on how to prepare, BUT DO NOT ASK SPECIFIC QUESTION, i am not part of the CF, but was clearly told as stated earlier that you are not to publicize any of the questions. GOOD LUCK

Hey guys/gals- sorry it's been so long since I've posted! I got really sick a couple of days back, and then after that was over I got really lazy... long story short, I'm here now. Valleygal- how is the running going? and the push-ups? I've got a trick for ya that seems to be working for me in that department; do a set of push-ups on your knees, and then put your knees on a rolled up towel or yoga mat or book or something, and do another set. It's not a huge change, but that little bit of incline will make your push-ups just a bit closer to the real military-style... a friendly 'middle ground' so to speak. From 3 to 5 is fantastic though! Don't lose the momentum. As for the running, I'm finding that this 5k road race (eek, one week from today) is the biggest incentive I've ever had. Try setting a reasonable goal for the future or join a progressive running team or something- maybe it would be helpful to (and this goes for everyone) set a goal and tell us all on here, so we can help eachother out and make eachother accountable when the goal date rolls around (just an idea).
Hey rtangri- congrats on the successful interview... theirs alot of threads out there full of people looking for the info that you are offering, and probably the answers to your questions as well. 
Well gang, I got back to it yesterday (kinda) with my 3k run... today I biked to work 6k, did a very short arm workout and then biked home- I know it's not alot, but after taking nearly a week couch-side I feel like I'm starting nearly from scratch. Of course that's not true, it'll just take a few more days to really get back in the groove. I'll be posting again tomorrow (and more regularly from now on)- talk to you all then.
Sure, go ahead, follow your dreams. I on the other hand plan to chase mine down.
~me

K- got to work early, and my ice cream is melting, so this will be fast. Today I biked to the gym and did some cardio (ran 1.6 miles, walked .5, ran another .6)- biked to work and back home where I did my 50 knee push-ups. Doesn't sound exactally gruelling, but I'm wiped. How is everyone else out there fairing?

So- guess what everyone? today is day 29. Crazy huh? Today I biked to the gym and did an arm work-out, then I biked to my first job, later to my second, and back home again- where I did the 50 push-ups (on my knees) again. Kinda disappointed so far with how the push-ups are going... I can only do 10 now, and they still aren't pretty. But, what did I start with 29 days ago? like three or four? And a few weeks before that I could only pull one off! So it's slow, but its progress. I've got my road race in a few days (which is basically an excuse to pig out on pasta and treat myself to cheesecake afterwards) so wish me luck everyone. I'll post again tomorrow; the last day of the 30 (though I'm going to keep the thread going I think... still 20 days till basic!)
Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection.

Mark Twain

Wow from one pushup to 10 in 30 days? Thats a huge gain.

http://hundredpushups.com/

Little push up regime there you might find useful. Even if you dont follow it like canon. It definitely helped me out.

I think the formula is something like:

Max you can do.
1/2 of max
1/2 of max
1/2 of max - 20%
Max to exhaustion, aim for same as first set.

JD, I have also noticed that the pushups are the slowest to come up.  I thought the running would be my biggest hurdle!  Everyone I have talked to says the best way to improve is to keep doing them.  1 --> 10 is a fantastic gain in 29 days, and I have no doubt that you'll at least double, if not triple that over the next 20.

I've been off for a while and my knees are better so last night I went back for my first real run in 2 weeks.  I took another 30 seconds off my best time for the 2.4K.  Woohoo! 

There's been another delay in my application, the doctor in Borden who reviewed my file wants a letter from my doctor for a mild case of asthma 15 years ago.  I haven't had an attack or been prescribed an inhaler in at least that long so the WO who did my medical told me he would look into it. :brickwall: I'm seeing my doctor Thursday so either way the whole thing should be resolved this week.  I'm hoping to head off to BMQ for the end of September.  If that works out, I'm running the Terry Fox 10K on September 14th. 

L2C

Thanks guys for the push-up tips. You're suggested routine is pretty much what the trainer has me doing now, so I'll stick with it and hopefully break the 15 mark before basic. I'm glad that you got back to running curl- and don't fret about the 30 seconds. Doing the whole 2.4k is fantastic for your first time back at it. That completely sucks- the whole asthma thing, but the few weeks it takes to get figured out will go by fast, so you might as well take the upper hand of the situation and use it to your advantage. It just means that you have that much more time to prepare, and will be that much readier when the time comes. 
N'ways folks... this was day 30!!! I can't believe that I did the whole thing- the whole month! Sure, I slacked off for almost a week in the middle, but whatever- still made it. What did I do today then? Not too much actually. Biked to the gym, did a few minutes on the stairmaster, swam 50 lengths, biked to work and back to the gym later, and then home at night. I guess the whole thing only adds up to 15km or so biking, but I feel it at the end of the day. Two more days till the race! (eek). So- just in case anyone is interested or actually cares, I think I will keep posting until basic starts (and then at basic, if I have access). 19 days from now I'll be waking up to screaming Sargent's and wondering what I just got myself into... can't wait. Talk to you all tomorrow. I'm hitting the hay~ JD
Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
    - Thomas Edison

So I just got back from the road race... it was fantastic!!!!!!! I'm so proud of myself! I know that 5k is small potatoes, and that I'll be doing this much at least every morning in a few weeks, but I'm  feeling more prepared mentally right now than I ever thought I could be. So, I ran in a race of 70 people for 5k in downtown Charlottetown today, right before the biggest parade of the year. Their were thousands of people lining the streets who were waiting for the parade to start that cheered us all on. I did great! Granted, it was probably the hardest physical thing I've ever done... but I ran it all- didn't stop for one second or one step! I came in at 46 out of the 70, with a time of 26.51. Thanks to everyone who has been wishing me luck- I swear in on Monday and have still got alot of work to do before basic starts. I'll keep you all informed  :)  Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.  ~T.S. Eliot

jane you are doing amazing!I am personally getting a bit frustrated on the other hand, application to officer selection board went on Wed, and now its Sun... no call, doesnt feel like im getting in anytime soon. I called Toronto CFRC apparently Im on the national quota, but awaiting open positions. WAITING IS SO HARD, btw good luck jane

Forgive me for being MIA the past few days, life gets in the way sometime!!

JD-Awesome job on the race, I'm very envious of you!!  Hard work and dedication does pay off!!  Keep it up!!

Thanks for posting the pushup info, its working.  My pushups are improving daily, I feel more and more motivated  and confident each time I do them.  I'm not at 9 yet, but getting there, the program is helping.  I can do 25 situps, again gonna keep at them as well.  My area of concern is still the running, I'm having the hardest time with my running, (nothing physically aches other then I just can't seem to get a grip on my breathing) perhaps I'm just thinking about it too much?  I'll keep at it, I heard from the CFRC that I'll be leaving in Sept, so until I get the call and a date, I'll just keep at 'em!!

Hey ladies.

If you have access to a bike try getting in a 5k ride(work your way up) before you run as your warm up and cool down after the runs. It will build up your legs and your cardio at the same time without the pounding the ground gives you.

I tend to do a 7.5 k ride starting out slowly then building to as high a speed as i can take before parking the bike and then doing my 2.4k run, depending on how i feel after the first 2.4 I try another and even a third run if i can take it. Then bike it home at a leasuirly rate allowing the legs a long slow cool down.

Take a day off to stretch a bit and work the upper body before getting back on the bike. I change it up depending on how my legs feel though, sometimes I just jump on the bike for the cardio then come home to work the weights.

I'm waiting for a phone call too, so thought i'd throw in 2 pennies worth  :)

Cheers and good luck.

Alright guys~ off to sign my life away! (or a decade of it at least).  :tank:

Jane~Doe said:
Alright guys~ off to sign my life away! (or a decade of it at least).  :tank:

WOW! You have done your part and now enjoy the moment.  Take some pictures eh.  :salute:

Im so jealous Jane! Good luck and the best for the upcoming training! I hope I get a call soon, but the damn officer board must have alot of files...sleeping by the phone waiting until the call comes! Hey Jane make sure you keep us updated, and let us know how your swear in went! Any experience knowledge is valuable knowledge!

OMG everyone~ thanks so much for the well-wishes, its been awsome! The swearing in ceremony went great. I was one out of four (PEI is a pretty small place...) and so it was held in a slightly-renovated reception area at the recruitment office. This would have been fine if my family had kept is simple like all of the others there, but unlike the 1/2 people watching the other three, I had the clan come in full force- standing room only when my family/friend group of 30 shows up. I 'm the only one who swore in on the Bible, which I thought was weird because I still don't remember being given the option (its what I wanted anyways though, so I don't mind). The paperwork was simple, but took a while, and the actual 'repeat after me' was over in a flash. Then their was a 20 min. video on what to expect at basic (alot like the basic-up series) for the families. Everyone had a good laugh over this, seeing as how it's shown to us AFTER we have already signed on the dotted line. Then we had a big photo op, and that  was pretty-much it. I fly out on the 31st (6am) for BOTP to start the next morning.
It's been a hectic, crazy week- all of this family is staying at our house for the last week and into the next couple... and my trainer has gone on vacation,  But I'm not making excuses. Since my road race, I've ran outside every second day on my 3k route (which is getting easier every time- actually forgot my mp3 player somewhere yesterday and had to run without music, which isn't as terrible as I thought it would be!). I'm trying to keep up the push-ups, but breaking that 10 mark is proving to be a serious pain in the kiester... I'll keep at it though, I want to get 15 out at least once before I go. I'm biking everywhere, so at least 12k a day, that's all I've done today so far, but I'll post again tonight if I get a chance. That's about it folks- thanks for the encouragement.... keep it up yourselves... theirs a few personal notes I want to send out, but I won't get a chance for a bit... later.
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.
Earl of Beaconsfield

WOW!  You are very lucky to have the whole town's support JD.  :D  That was fun and it gives you more will and energy.  ;)

Congratulations on your Swearing into the Canadian Military!!  Whoo Rah....You go Girl!!  :salute:

Back