• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3 RCR Change of Command

Old Sweat

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
Normally this would warrant passing mention, but the change of command of 3 RCR yesterday took a different form. As the story in the Pembroke Observer includes a slide show, I decided to provide a link rather than to post it.

http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/2013/06/06/an-action-packed-change-of-command-for-3rcr

Looks like they got some inspiration from watching some of the CSOR parades(showing capabilities).  Good show for the spectators,  instead of the standard march past, standing and speeches, march past, etc on the parade square.  Judging from the photos and article, it was a good change of command/show.

The outgoing CO is a relative of mine.  He's a hell of a role model for any officer to follow and I'm super proud of him.  Well done Dave!

Water appears cold  ;D
1297425992162_ORIGINAL.jpg

Bit of oneupmanship following 2 CER's FRIES extract of outgoing CO last year?

Also, since when did assault boats 'tear' anywhere? Putter at a sharpish pace maybe, but tear? Bit of journalistic license there methinks.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Water appears cold  ;D
1297425992162_ORIGINAL.jpg

You could put those 'word bubbles' over the 2 guys in the water with "OMFG" and "WTF" in them.  Or just use 1 word bubble with the same thing...

"FACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK!"

The intent for this was to use the TOCA Parade as a way to give the soldiers an opportunity to conduct some training.  We had just done the Consecration of Colours Parade in Toronto and the outgoing CO wanted to waste no more time on drill practices.  It was a very good parade and a nice way for LCol Quick to end his command time. 

Hopefully there will be some big changes for the battalion. Morale is not exactly high.

poinf said:
Hopefully there will be some big changes for the battalion. Morale is not exactly high.

Any suggestions on what needs to be done to fix it?

poinf said:

Why so negative poinf?  Perhaps rather then simply saying Morale isn't high you could elaborate on your post and explain what your gripe is?

Well a lot of the time ( not all the time ) you have the guys just sitting there doing nothing but locker security. It gets old pretty fast, I mean mopping stained floors has its perks but lets get real. Being told that there is no money to do any real training aside from digging a hole is disheartening. We have well my plt anyways tried to do refresher training on weapons, map and compass, ect, with tried being the key word  have been getting shut down all the time. Which is one of the reasons why guys are jumping ship or going to the civilian world.

Sports is another big thing, why do we have no teams? It is not for the lack of trying as well as not being given the time to do anything.

A lot of guys are just done with it, not doing anything not deploying anywhere, I don't blame guys for leaving. It is also starting to seem like the army is just not caring about worthy training anymore. I know for a fact it is not that hard to book a range or a piece of ground out in the bush.

These are just a few small issues, I feel it is not appropriate to air the real grievances on a public forum such as this.

Poinf

poinf said:
Well a lot of the time ( not all the time ) you have the guys just sitting there doing nothing but locker security. It gets old pretty fast, I mean mopping stained floors has its perks but lets get real. Being told that there is no money to do any real training aside from digging a hole is disheartening. We have well my plt anyways tried to do refresher training on weapons, map and compass, ect, with tried being the key word  have been getting shut down all the time. Which is one of the reasons why guys are jumping ship or going to the civilian world.

Sports is another big thing, why do we have no teams? It is not for the lack of trying as well as not being given the time to do anything.

A lot of guys are just done with it, not doing anything not deploying anywhere, I don't blame guys for leaving. It is also starting to seem like the army is just not caring about worthy training anymore. I know for a fact it is not that hard to book a range or a piece of ground out in the bush.

These are just a few small issues, I feel it is not appropriate to air the real grievances on a public forum such as this.

Poinf

PM inbound

Sounds worse than out west. I felt the direction the army was heading was a very poor one. Having said that I think the group of people that stayed once in positions of authority will try too change it.

All though other units may not comply as it can mean extra "work" aka doing your job.

I do agree kind of anyways, it does seem like a lot of it is laziness.

About Face
Col. David Hackworth

Page 363, on training his company during peace time

-"D Company trained hard, staying in the field at least four days a week. We never set up tents or any other administrative comforts; instead, we'd form a defensive perimeter or pretend we were on line, tied into another unit. Everything was tactical: steel pots on, faces and uniforms camouflaged, no one bunched up, rifles at the ready. Even chow call was done tactically: the mess truck covered with camouflage net, guys well spaced out as they filed through, their weapons at no time more than an arm's distance away. I stressed the basics all along. I'd have one platoon aggress against another and then reverse them, until they were masters of both defense and attack procedures. I wanted each unit trained so well that a PFC could take a platoon and run it. -stressing that it happened regularly on the battlefield, during training exercise I'd tell a platoon leader he was dead and to put one of his PFCs in charge."

-"Even without live fire, all tactical training was conducted as close to actual battlefield conditions as I could make it. When attacking or defending, I insisted that leaders go through the drill of adjusting artillery and calling in air strikes, even though neither was avail able on the training field. I made the leaders pretend they were talking to the Air Force forward air control or artillery people. Eventually the calling for fires became an instilled habit, which was the object--just another tool in the kit bag to be pulled out by second nature as needed on the battlefield."

http://www.hackworth.com/aboutfaceextracts.html

daftandbarmy said:
Any suggestions on what needs to be done to fix it?

Courses-
Recce patrolman courses, basic paratrooper courses, sniper courses, pathfinder courses, unarmed combat courses, unarmed combat instructor course. Basic intermediate and advance comms, send guys on urban ops instructor courses. Basic mountain ops. Ariel delivery, DZ controller, helops, helicopter insertion instructor. C16 course.

Training-
CQB training, escape and evasion training and ex (with police dog teams), fast rope training, rifle pistol and machinegun ranges, grenade range, live fire section attacks with gas huts. Urban ops training with blanks, simunition and a live-fire kill house, JOAX airborne ex's in the states, kick American ass at NTC Fort Irwin, chest rig user trials, supporting other units like the engineers(culminating in a night time beach assault). Getting hooked up to ropes under griffons and flown over the base.

Troops  off work by 3pm.

Wait you wanted suggestions and not what's going on now  ;)

ObedientiaZelum said:
Wait you wanted suggestions and not what's going on now  ;)

Clearly you and poinf aren't in the same 3 RCR.  I never knew there were two of 'em.

Which RCR Bn is taking 2 Bde's next HR task? Because if it's anything like 1 CMBG experience right now, nobody will have to worry about having too much white space...

Back