• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3 Point Sling

MedTech said:
Get a 1 point bungee sling... it's actually pretty good. Stays in place, and you can fling it around quick and get at your sidearm.

IMO that kind of sling is better suited for a C8 not a longer rifle like the C7. Also the bungee has its drawbacks.. like the rifle getting caught on something an stretching the bungee than having the rifle fly into your body once it gets unstuck, etc  And I don't think a Pte(R) has to worry about transitioning from a rifle to a pistol at his current stage.

George Wallace said:
'Cause his topic was merged to the 3 Point Sling topic.      ;D
Ah, so why did you bring back a 4 year old thread for this question    :D

-Skeletor- said:
IMO that kind of sling is better suited for a C8 not a longer rifle like the C7.

Tried it with A2 and works fine. Same with commercial full length AR's with collapsible stock. But I do agree with you that a carbine would work better.

-Skeletor- said:
Also the bungee has its drawbacks.. like the rifle getting caught on something an stretching the bungee than having the rifle fly into your body once it gets unstuck, etc 

Yarp, that does suck. But you get used to it  :D besides, that's why you've got plates and armour!

-Skeletor- said:
And I don't think a Pte(R) has to worry about transitioning from a rifle to a pistol at his current stage.

D'oh! I suppose...

-Skeletor- said:
I'm assuming your a new Private so I'll give you a tip.. the Cpls, MCpls, etc in your unit can help you out on things.. don't be afraid to ask them for help/info.

I'm on the weekend BMQ course so my time is limited, and in between weekends, I risk flushing all that memory away.  I can't throw away the 3-point sling because we're learning CF standard and that's what I'm supposed to know how to do right now.  I can't really ask anyone at my unit because I'm only allowed to parade once a month due to budget restrictions, but I'll try anyway.  In the meantime, does anybody have a diagram or a video I can look at?

I understand that that while on course you'll be unable to use a non-issue sling (Vickers is pretty good, but I wouldn't recommend a 1-point sling regardless).

The issued 3 point sling can be fitted to a C7A2 without too much hassle, provided that you remove the part that attaches to the A1 buttstock.

1)  Undo every strap and remove every tri-glide from the patrol sling.

2)  Set the small piece with the rectangular metal loop on one end and the paracord on the other off to the side.  If you have a C7A2, this piece attaches to the old style buttstock and you won't need it.  If I remember correctly, the issued patrol sling comes with x2 tri-glides.  For the C7A2 you only need one of them, so set the spare aside as well. 

In other words, for the C7A2 all you need is the long piece of sling, the quick release tab with the metal button, and a single tri-glide.

3) Loop the paracord end of the sling over the barrel of the rifle, and slide one of the tabs on the paracord through the front sling swivel to attach the sling to the rifle.

4) Attach the quick release tab to the sling by using the brass buttons, then pass the running end of the sling through the closest loop of the quick release tab's tri-glide.

5)  Pass the running end of the sling through the sling mounting plate on the lower reciever.  I'm talking about the one that sits between the pistol grip and the buttstock, below the charging handle.

6)  Fold the running end of the sling towards the muzzle of the rifle.

7)  Pass the running end through a single spare tri-glide.

8)  Pass the running end through the closest loop of the tri-glide attached to the quick release tab.

9)  Fold the running end back through the tri-glide you attached in step 7.

If you did this correctly, you should be able to adjust the sling for the size of your torso by adjusting the position of the tri-glide you attached in step 7.

If you did this correctly, undoing the quick release button will allow the front end of the sling to slide back across the receiver, stopping at the rear sling mounting plate - effectively functioning similar to a 1 point sling, with enough slack to shoulder the weapon without difficulty.

If you have a C7A1, you'll notice that there is no sling mounting plate on the lower reciever that I mentioned in step 5).  Instead, take the small piece of sling with the metal rectangle and the paracord (the one you set aside in step 2) and attach it to the buttstock. The metal rectangular ring will be in position to substitute for the mounting plate that is found on the A2.

Thats the best I can do for you without a picture.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help, but we're not talking about the same sling.  You must be reg force because it sounds like you guys have different slings.  I'm talking about 4000-year-old, el cheapo reserve ordnance.

This is the sling I'm talking about:
http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/canada_c7_assult_rifle_sling.htm

It has one buckle sewn to one end of the sling, and another buckle (not sewn on) that is used elsewhere on the sling.

I just wanted to add something else - I can ask my instructors, but I'd like to know how to do it without having to ask them.  That way I look like I've been paying attention.  We only practiced assembling\disassembling it once or twice.

For that one loop it through the front swivel point on the weapon and loop the other end on the mounting bracket on the upper receiver or in the slots on the extendable butt.

EDITED TO ADD

The above info is for the C7-A2 only if you are using the C7-A1 the following is the method of attaching the sling to the weapon.

Thanks NFLD Sapper, that's exactly the kind of diagram I was looking for.  That must be the CF standard method of looping it, correct?

-Skeletor- said:
Rot, thats the standard 2 point sling, not a 3 point sling.

If that's a 2 point sling, the instructor who taught us how to do it told us it was a 3 point sling.

Straight out of the C7/C8 pam... so yes that is the "by the book" method.

Rot said:
If that's a 2 point sling, the son-of-a-bitch instructor who taught us how to do it told us it was a 3 point sling.

This is a 3 point sling also known as a Partol Sling

sling-combo-3-2004.jpg

Rot said:
Thanks NFLD Sapper, that's exactly the kind of diagram I was looking for.  That must be the CF standard method of looping it, correct?

Yes, it is.

Here's the official reference:
armyapp.dnd.ca/ael/pubs/B-GL-385-001-PT-001_e.pdf

You'll find the attachment method NFLD_Sapper posted - for attaching the 2-point sling - on page 36 of the above linked pdf file.

Back