• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3 Brigade Group post WW II

Mauler

Inactive
Reaction score
OK folks, judging by some of the posts I have seen on this forum I know I am going to suffer for asking this.

What happened to 3 Canadian Infantry Brigade (Brigade Group)?

I have done some reading on the subject and I know that it was formed in the early 1950's. What I have not figured out is:

When was it disbanded/disassembled/discouraged from further participation in the CF?

What Bases did it occupy?

Which units did it contain? (I suspect the Black Watch)

Was it just simply renamed 5 Brigade in 1968?

I look forward to your APDS, HESH and HEAT.

I cannot go any further back than 1961, but at that time HQ 3 CIBG was in Gagetown as were a number of its units. These included RCD, 1 RCHA, an engineer field squadron, 3 Signals Squadron, 2 RHC and the CSS units. The three R22eR battalions in Valcartier and the Citadel also were in 3 CIBG.

Circa late 1961/early1962 2 RHC rotated to Germany and was replaced by 1 RHC, which then came home from Germany in 1965. At that time, 2 R22eR replaced 1 RHC in 4 CIBG in Germany. In 1967 1 RCHA went to Europe and 2 RCHA replaced it in Gagetown. Three brigade also had the first service battalion in thee army when the Experimental Service Battalion was created by grouping the CSS units in the 1962-1963 time frame.

When 5 GBC was formed. the brigades were restructured into combat groups, which were not really viable field formations as the service battalions also were responsible for support of the base. At this time 3 Combat Group's main units were RCD, 2 RCHA and the two Black Watch battalions. As a result of the 1969 defence policy statement, in 1970 3 Combat Group was disbanded, the RCD title moved to 4 CMBG, while one squadron stayed in situ, and 2 RCHA was transferred on paper to 2 Combat Group in Petawawa, leaving E Battery in Gagetown. The RHC battalions were disbanded, with their members either posted to 2 RCR, which appeared overnight in St Andrew's Barracks in Gagetown, or went elswhere.

That is how I remember it, having been in Gagetown 1961-1964 before I was posted to Germany.

Back