• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

25 Oct 08 - CF Soldier Injured in IED Blast

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Hopes for a speedy and full recovery to the injured.

In light of previous errors, I've edited the alleged unit affiliation until it's confirmed by multiple MSM reports - shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Canadian soldier seriously injured during patrol by IED
Canwest News Service. 26 Oct 08
Article link

A Canadian soldier was seriously injured Saturday when the vehicle he was in hit an improvised explosive device northwest of Kandahar city.  The soldier was taking part in an early-afternoon security patrol in Arghandab district at the time.  As soon as the roadside bomb went off, a cordon was set up around the area and the soldier was flown by helicopter to the surgical hospital at Kandahar Air Field, a Canadian Forces spokesman said.  The victim, who was not identified, was in serious but stable condition. The soldier's next of kin have been notified of the incident, the spokesman said.

Canadian soldier injured in improvised explosive device blast in Afghanistan
Canadian Press via Halifax Chronicle-Herald, 26 Oct 08
Article link

Another Canadian soldier was injured Saturday in a roadside bomb blast in Afghanistan.  The soldier was part of a routine patrol in the Arghandab district southwest of Kandahar City when the improvised explosive device detonated at about 1:45 p.m.  The soldier was travelling in a Light Armoured Vehicle at the time, said military spokesman Maj. Jay Janzen.  ``A cordon was quickly established around the area and the soldier was quickly evacuated by helicopter,'' he said.  The soldier .... remains in serious but stable condition at the hospital at Kandahar Air Field.  Next of kin have been notified and the identity of the soldier will not be released ....

More on link

milnews.ca said:
Canadian soldier seriously injured during patrol by IED
Canwest News Service. 26 Oct 08
Article link

A Canadian soldier was seriously injured Saturday when the vehicle he was in hit an improvised explosive device northwest of Kandahar city.  The soldier was taking part in an early-afternoon security patrol in Arghandab district at the time.  As soon as the roadside bomb went off, a cordon was set up around the area and the soldier was flown by helicopter to the surgical hospital at Kandahar Air Field, a Canadian Forces spokesman said.  The victim, who was not identified, was in serious but stable condition. The soldier's next of kin have been notified of the incident, the spokesman said.

Canadian soldier injured in improvised explosive device blast in Afghanistan
Canadian Press via Halifax Chronicle-Herald, 26 Oct 08
Article link

Another Canadian soldier was injured Saturday in a roadside bomb blast in Afghanistan.  The soldier was part of a routine patrol in the Arghandab district southwest of Kandahar City when the improvised explosive device detonated at about 1:45 p.m.  The soldier was travelling in a Light Armoured Vehicle at the time, said military spokesman Maj. Jay Janzen.  ``A cordon was quickly established around the area and the soldier was quickly evacuated by helicopter,'' he said.  The soldier .... remains in serious but stable condition at the hospital at Kandahar Air Field.  Next of kin have been notified and the identity of the soldier will not be released. The region southwest of Kandahar City has been the scene of much military and insurgent activity in recent weeks.
More on link
OK, no OPSEC here, but ARGHANDAB is either northwest or southwest of Kandahar City according to the above articles, as well as the one here.  I can tell you one and all that (a) the Arghandab District is not southwest of the city and (b) that it has NOT been the scene of "much military and insurgent activity" in recent weeks.  I think that they are thinking of Panjwayi/Zharey.

My thoughts are with the injured, his family and the troops still serving overseas.

The soldier (who will remain nameless) is a friend of mine and a brother of a member of my Regiment.    I can't even express how shocked I was to hear this info yesterday... This along with the death of a former member of the Regiment (Gnr Keyes-Oliver) made yesterday a fairly dark day for the troops who knew them.

Speedy recover for the injured and my sincerest condolences to the families.  And my undying support for all involved.

:salute:

Defense Not Defiance

I know him as well. I'm sure he'll recover.

Now just to find the dirtbags who planned it....

Regards

Recce By Death said:
I know him as well. I'm sure he'll recover.

Now just to find the dirtbags who planned it...

Hopefully, when you arrange the meeting, they will find the seventy virgins have packed up and moved on.

Hopes for a speedy recovery to the wounded, you do us all proud ! Ubique

Back